An Update From Jez George (Video) | Page 2 | Vital Football

An Update From Jez George (Video)

Purely for financial reasons after the heavy investment last summer, I think January will be about incoming loans rather than paying a fee for players.

A left wing back and a wide player being a priority, plus maybe a holding midfielder.

Any major changes will be left until the summer when several players are out of contract and will leave (Haks and Bishop for example).
From a playing perspective, letting Bishop go would be a mistake in my opinion. I can understand if a financial decision though.

"The American driven theoretical approach hasn't quite worked" What do you mean by that?

"Jez rather than MS provided the update - Who is running the show?"

Where have you been for the last few years? JG heads up the recruitment TEAM (which includes MS) hence he gives an update on transfers. Zero concern there at all in fact I'd much rather JG do the talking and let MS concentrate on what happens on the pitch.
Harvey Jabara gave a lengthy interview during the close season detailing the importance of a sports team owning its own players - that is definitely an American sporting model. It was very apparent from that time that the club's transfer strategy had changed, and that is how it transpired with extra investment and only three loanees arriving.

I remain highly supportive of the method regarding fewer but preferably higher quality loans.
I suppose the question many of us are waiting on is how will the incomings affect the formation. Are we intending to stick with 3 at the back and if we are not, will we have made signings in time to enact a 4 by the time Wycombe comes around?

I'm sure Skubala will be aware of the heightened expectation given the opportunity to work on his style of play and a few fresh faces. It will help him if the fan base can take any pressure off him by treating what has gone before as a false dawn and allow him the courtesy of a fresh start.

He has a lot on his plate to contend with on the back of some poor results and he will need to simultaneously integrate 3 or 4 new faces into the squad without the benefit of a full pre season. If we get to February and there are decent signs of progress, that will be a satisfactory outcome imo.

Harvey Jabara gave a lengthy interview during the close season detailing the importance of a sports team owning its own players - that is definitely an American sporting model. It was very apparent from that time that the club's transfer strategy had changed, and that is how it transpired with extra investment and only three loanees arriving.
That’s not a ‘theoretical approach’ though, least not how I’d describe it.

I don't think anyone has any problem with the 'model' as explained by the directors downwards. However, owning your own players with a view to making a profit from their development depends on selecting the right players at source, and that is where some have questioned the results of the programme to date.

The loan system has developed for very good reasons: clubs have far bigger squads than at any time in the past and need to develop young players by giving them game time at the correct level for current ability - look at Freddie Draper, for example; the borrowing club benefits through (hopefully) having the services of a player with more ability than they could have afforded otherwise (for example, as we did through Brennan Johnson).

Therefore, choosing to own your players instead of using the loan system is always going to be more expensive, hence the losses and need for more investment each season. At some point (certainly within the foreseeable future), we will have to sell on a player for very good money to justify the strategy and the jobs of those in charge of recruitment. The problem is, who is that going to be?

I don't think anyone has any problem with the 'model' as explained by the directors downwards. However, owning your own players with a view to making a profit from their development depends on selecting the right players at source, and that is where some have questioned the results of the programme to date.

The loan system has developed for very good reasons: clubs have far bigger squads than at any time in the past and need to develop young players by giving them game time at the correct level for current ability - look at Freddie Draper, for example; the borrowing club benefits through (hopefully) having the services of a player with more ability than they could have afforded otherwise (for example, as we did through Brennan Johnson).

Therefore, choosing to own your players instead of using the loan system is always going to be more expensive, hence the losses and need for more investment each season. At some point (certainly within the foreseeable future), we will have to sell on a player for very good money to justify the strategy and the jobs of those in charge of recruitment. The problem is, who is that going to be?
Same point I made earlier on another thread. We have a mixture of good League 1 players and some very average League 1 players or worse. Plus some youngsters we are hoping to develop. At one time I think Montsma looked like being a player who could move up the Leagues but sadly injury as put paid to that. House was also looking the same until injury has put him back.
I honestly cannot see anybody in the current squad who would be in demand for a decent fee.
The only exception is perhaps Draper if he can carry on scoring goals now he is back with us then he could be in demand but he is the only one.

Same point I made earlier on another thread. We have a mixture of good League 1 players and some very average League 1 players or worse. Plus some youngsters we are hoping to develop. At one time I think Montsma looked like being a player who could move up the Leagues but sadly injury as put paid to that. House was also looking the same until injury has put him back.
I honestly cannot see anybody in the current squad who would be in demand for a decent fee.
The only exception is perhaps Draper if he can carry on scoring goals now he is back with us then he could be in demand but he is the only one.
No he isn’t what about Roughan, Jenson, Erhahon, House. All they need is a good run in the team, injury free, and the confidence of a winning side ( but that’s another story!)

Yeah, I'd say the saleable ones at the minute are Draper, House, Mandroiu, Erhahon and Roughan.

Montsma would have been if it wasn't for injury.

Classing 5 or 6 out of your starting XI as saleable isn't a bad number I don't think.

It's common sense to have a squad made up of your own players rather than someone else's.

The club are coming under a lot of flack at the moment and having a go at them for the temerity of trying to get a squad full of your own players and who says what at an interview is just silly imo.

Also seeing a few comments from 'experienced' Lincoln people on twitter taking snide pot shots at the 'model' etc. It's probably lucky that I am nowhere near running the club as I couldn't show the restraint that they do. Taking a step back, we're so far removed from where we were just 7 years ago. it's incredible and for supposed fans to revel in taking pot shots at whoever and whatever is frankly absurd. There has also been snobbery towards 'new fans' well if it's supposed 'new fans' who are still getting behind the club who are still in the top half of League One ffs then I'd much rather sit next to them rather than someone who lived the glory days of Murph etc. taking pot shots at Liam, Jez etc.

This is more of a undirected moan rather than at anyone on this thread btw.

Well said. Im finding the constant negativity about the club, in the pub, in the ground and online, absolutely tiresome.

The American driven theoretical approach hasn’t quite worked. Too many variables to try and control, and nowhere near flexible enough when major injuries occur.

MK must have realised he couldn't work effectively in the model system, but went so quickly and quietly that there must have been a disciplinary problem. The Mandroiu outburst was no laughing matter, but he must have been hugely frustrated weeks beforehand.

The lack of attacking threat been recognised by everyone since Covid, from Clive and Liam at the top, down to the youngest and newest fans. A slight concern for me is that Jez rather than MS provided the update. Who is running the show? We now have to hope MS starts to get ‘his’ team together and that Draper and Moylan will help to provide the required goals. UTI.
That’s a good question irrespective of the involvement going forward I can’t see how he can have much if any involvement this window as he wasn’t in post - unless he has the ability to pull the plug on a signing which would be an interesting dynamic when you have so many individuals involved.

Also I don’t think we should place massive emphasis on a ex youth teamer and an unknown to come over the hill like white knights. I think it’s unrealistic and unfair on them we need an experienced legs with them providing support.

I would send any youngster not suitable for a starting place to Ireland because they need to be blooded.

Thing is we got to the playoff final becuase of the input of another teams players.

There needs to be a balance otherwise we look like a u23 team when we play teams like Stevenage.

The 2022-2023 financial year achieved all-time club record for total player sales.

Most of which was reinvested by the board with the aims to continue cycle.

I'm guessing that the coach and the recruitment team have sat round the table.

The coach has set out his objectives in how he wants the team to play and the type of players he needs to do that and where his immediate priorities lies in terms of positions he wants to strengthen.

As you say the forward positions would have been high on the list but that was an area we already had players who were already signed but couldn't play or returning from loans or returning from injury so that is an area that is not going to require any outlay and I would suspect any other forward players we bring in would be loans, considering there are still two more forwards to come back from injury.

I would like us to go to a back 4 but realise that this may not be possible in terms of the players we already have at the club and the considerable investment it would require, unless we could fill those roles with loan players but I think that could be difficult and we may have to wait until the summer when there will be a much bigger pool and better quality of player available.

I think we have some good midfield players at the club but some need to keep fit and some need to have learnt a couple of harsh lessons but also need to be used in a way that much better suits their skill set, which I think a different formation and a more positive and forward thinking approach would do.

Not expecting a massive change in personel or maybe the formation apart from up front next Saturday but will be expecting a completely different way in which we approach the game tactically and would expect (hope) to see a much more positive, front foot, attacking element to our game with the more substantial changes in personel and investment coming in the summer.
Skubala came in with his preferred style of a back 4 (in fact I don't think he ever coached a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 but someone may know otherwise). He's also said he's had very little time to actually coach new ways as sessions have solely been recovery and prep for the next game. So I'm half expecting a back 4 against Wycombe- if for nothing else but a reaction to the 4 losses over Xmas period.

Mk Dons last season are the classic example of not getting it right with loans. The season before last, MK Dons were a play-off semi final losing to Wednesday but with a team built around high quality loanees. Last season, with the loanees gone. they were relegated. Whatever model is chosen, there is inherent risk and benefit in both.

Last edited:
TJ will be the next who will be in demand if he carries his current form to the end of the season.

Mk Dons last season are the classic example of not getting it right with loans. The season before last, MK Dons were a play-off semi final losing to Wednesday but with a team built around high quality loanees. Last season, with the loanees gone. they were relegated. Whatever model is chosen, there is inherent risk and benefit in both.
Kinda r.e. loans but they also sold Twine to Burnley (£4m) and Darling to Swansea (£1.5m) after losing O'Reilly the summer before to Celtic (£1.5m) so they got flushed out of both loans and permanents.

Trying to think who we sold last season? Scully, Robson, Bramall, Archibald?
Bramall was sold to Rotherham when they met his release clause - at the time mooted as £200,000.

Scully was under contract, so would have gone for a decent fee.

Hard to believe we would have got much for Archibald or Robson. Some training balls and a bag of bubblies, perhaps.

The American driven theoretical approach hasn’t quite worked. Too many variables to try and control, and nowhere near flexible enough when major injuries occur.

MK must have realised he couldn't work effectively in the model system, but went so quickly and quietly that there must have been a disciplinary problem. The Mandroiu outburst was no laughing matter, but he must have been hugely frustrated weeks beforehand.

The lack of attacking threat been recognised by everyone since Covid, from Clive and Liam at the top, down to the youngest and newest fans. A slight concern for me is that Jez rather than MS provided the update. Who is running the show? We now have to hope MS starts to get ‘his’ team together and that Draper and Moylan will help to provide the required goals. UTI.

So we have loads (ok a few) of people on here complaining about Jez George- Liam Scully issues a response on this group. Doesn't it make complete sense to then have Jez George update on the transfer situation- it's his role as Director of Football. It also helps highlight the work which goes on behind the scenes.

As for who is running the show- it's definitely not Skubala's job to "run the show" whether you agree or otherwise