Aston Villa v Manchester City - Match Thread | Page 27 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Manchester City - Match Thread

First half we were schooled. But there is no shame in that . Citeh are on a different planet in many ways.

2nd half, all we could do was stick at it and hard work and endeavour will get rewards if not the overall result. Citeh always had that element of control but we were not pushovers like we were first half .

Evening all. I'm away from home and was unable to watch the game tonight so you can tell me to Sod off with my views if you like.

Reading the match thread tonight I see a load of frustration with the odd objective comment.

I just don't get it. Almost everybody was predicting or expecting a defeat and yet the team are getting a roasting for losing 2-1 against one of the best teams in the world currently. If we'd lost 4-1, 5-1 etc I would understand a degree of criticism but losing by the odd goal?

Think a few people need to give our current position a degree of consideration.

Following the arrival of new head coach Steven Gerrard, Aston Villa are working hard on trying to get their swagger back as players adjust to his wants and desires. With back to back victories secured from his opening two matches against Brighton and Hove Albion and Crystal Palace - whilst there is clearly work to be done - we have started to see slow but steady improvement again.
https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...sitives-to-take-from-city-defeat-match-stats/

No complaints. City much better side, but second half got back into it, Chucky probably should have levelled. The team looked more disciplined and held shape well, Ollie had one of his best games for us so far.
Keep that improvement up against Leicester and points could be coming our way.
Good to see the French man get on, not so good to see Bailey going off yet again.
Another encounter with Citeh when yet again just a little bit of luck, and we could have got something.

Gutted in the end, I think we deserved something.

Ollie back on form, Luiz and Nakamba great, and Buendias best game by a mile. Sanson looks quality too if he can just stay fit.

Onwards and upwards, we should fear no one.

Looks like Sanson may have a bit of the Sid Cowans about him - just what we need if we can actually get three fit runners ahead of him.

Loving Nakamba's form, always knew he had it in him from day one and he got nice applause when going off, building into a bit of a VP favourite perhaps which is terrific for a Zimbabwe boy.

Luiz looked nowhere as usual for the first hour to me then he was suddenly all over the pitch, he does seem to respond to the crowd more than most :)

Ollie very obviously got the memo in training this week and grew a pair at last when keeping the ball.

Buendia still hit and miss but he does graft and bloody hell when he hits he really hits, he has real magic ability in him, we just need to unlock it more often and I'm sure we will.

Evening all. I'm away from home and was unable to watch the game tonight so you can tell me to Sod off with my views if you like.

Reading the match thread tonight I see a load of frustration with the odd objective comment.

I just don't get it. Almost everybody was predicting or expecting a defeat and yet the team are getting a roasting for losing 2-1 against one of the best teams in the world currently. If we'd lost 4-1, 5-1 etc I would understand a degree of criticism but losing by the odd goal?

Think a few people need to give our current position a degree of consideration.

It’s the manner of the display in the first half. We were sluggish and showed them far too much respect, applied zero pressure and made too many mistakes. Second half, we got at them and they didn’t like it. Totally respectable loss from that half. First half was a gift.

Olliesque I thought - used to having more time than he'll ever get in the PL or against City.

A bit of clever psyops by SG perhaps to bring him down a peg or two as he was clearly out of his depth in there.

He surely needs to be sent out on loan, lovely idea bringing him into the team but he's a good season away from Ramsey's level who I expect will be making more and more sub appearances from our bench with Sanson back and McGinn/Luiz/Marv putting in good shifts tonight.