chairman Chat - October | Page 21 | Vital Football

chairman Chat - October

Mark, how about I go into my local Weatherspoons and chant what a c### Tim Martin is?

Lower down.the scale, how about I go in and unfurl a banner in his pub and start chanting Martin out?

What would be a reasonable response to my actions?

I happen to be a fan of the franchise and spend a lot of money in there, so I'm a loyal fan. Can I get away with my protest, inside?

To be fair I said GFC is a private premises and ROAR applies. If scally wants to ban those for displaying banners and chanting scally out he can. Its his ground. Same for the landlord of your pub - I'm a fan too by the way - they bring some beautiful old buildings back to life

My point is other people who don't own the ground are arguing that they shouldn't be allowed to. I am counter arguing why not.

Scally house, his rules.

I do think the best outcome would be for Scally to say if you disagree with me stay away next season. That will bring unity inside the ground. I do wonder what the crowd will be though.

PS - Your fault that I answered another post !!! :-)

Mark, how about I go into my local Weatherspoons and chant what a c### Tim Martin is?

Lower down.the scale, how about I go in and unfurl a banner in his pub and start chanting Martin out?

What would be a reasonable response to my actions?

I happen to be a fan of the franchise and spend a lot of money in there, so I'm a loyal fan. Can I get away with my protest, inside?

Funny that G58, I have visions of you buying a pint of Carling In ‘Spoons and, in between sips, you sing on the top of your voice: “this pint of Carling is shit”?

Then, you wonder over to the couple in the corner tucking in to a Korma and shout in their faces: “Weatherspoons wankers!”.

The entire protest is futile.
There is no alternative to Paul Scally.
It’s either Scally running things or nobody running things.
Even the most mentally challenged of the Scally Out Brigade can see that’s the case.
Hull City, who are a much bigger club than us with huge potential has been available for about six years with no serious offers.
Newcastle took eight years to sell.
Who in their right mind would want to purchase Gillingham?

Even the most mentally challenged of the Scally Out Brigade can see that’s the case.
Hull City, who are a much bigger club than us with huge potential has been available for about six years with no serious offers.

Similar people who bought Wycombe or Plymouth?

But look at the owners of both those examples you give, Mike Ashley and the Allam family. If you are saying they are similar to PS then yes we're in trouble.

One thing is for sure, by PS' own admission he hasn't got the financial resources (or maybe even will) to take the club forward , so under PS the only alternative and best case scenario is to stagnate or worse still go backwards on a slippery downward spiral. Without some kind of investment that's where GFC is heading. PS has been looking for that investment for 20 odd years, clearly his terms or pitch are questionable. If they're not then we're screwed if there is no investors or people willing to by the club and the only option available is PS.

The Status Quoers said that there was nobody interested in buying GFC, now PS has confirmed he's had interest, just not in his opinion worthy interest. IMO from experience he's a salesman who tells people what he thinks they want to hear at the time he speaks. Who knows what the truth really is but I've said it before I think the only way PS will leave is if the club is in a similar situation to when PS took over.

Last edited:
It was unacceptable and embarrassing.

That maybe but where was the condemnation from fans and the club for using that kind of offensive language at the time against SE as opposition manager. The majority of the RE were singing at SE, not the 100 or so Scally Outers the other week. Shirley chanting that against anyone is either offensive and out of order, or not?

This isn't about the language used, the c word has become too common place IMO, this is about who it was aimed at. He's never taken any form of criticism, dissent, difference of opinion very well. For a football fan and business man, he's extremely thin skinned IMO. Personal abuse is either OK or not, it shouldn't matter who it's said to.

Last edited:
Here’s a conundrum for you...

1. The #ScallyOut crew think that Scally can’t take the club forwards because he doesn’t have the cash.

2. All of the other fans think that Scally can’t take the club forwards because he doesn’t have the cash.

3. Scally himself acknowledges that he cannot take the club forwards because he doesn’t have the cash.

Who exactly are they protesting against? Circumstances?

Think there’s a group missing there Trashy.

No1 consists of the fans who want change, maybe quite rightly. I’d put Mark in this category. Genuine, normal fans who’d like to see us have a change of ownership to progress. No issue with that at all.

Unfortunately, the core group of Scally outers are the number you haven’t identified. They want him out purely because he’s Paul Scally and they hate him. And the hatred runs deep.

It’s nothing to do with taking the club forward, success, failure, wins, money, investment, new ground etc etc. All of that matters not one iota.

There have been comments on “that” forum over the years that they’d sooner see the club relegated, or go into admin for Scally to leave.

The Fred figure, given choice of success with Scally or failure without? He takes second option. He’s always stated even if we got back to the Championship, he wants PS gone.

He has literally tried to turn investors away from the club. Hounding investors on Twitter and pleading with the discussion forum lot to bombard them as well.

So it’s not a choice between a successful or failing/stagnating GFC that’s the issue. It’s purely Paul Scally in their eyes. They don’t like him. You cannot reason with logic like that. There is nothing you can do or say to change that mindset.

I’ll say again, I’m not talking about the regular fans. Just the hardcore set that seem to be most vocal and causing the division.

TBF- all this based on the online observations and comments. And what I’ve heard on the iFollow vids.

Last edited:
But look at the owners of both those examples you give, Mike Ashley and the Allam family. If you are saying they are similar to PS then yes we're in trouble.

One thing is for sure, by PS' own admission he hasn't got the financial resources (or maybe even will) to take the club forward , so under PS the only alternative and best case scenario is to stagnate or worse still go backwards on a slippery downward spiral. Without some kind of investment that's where GFC is heading. PS has been looking for that investment for 20 odd years, clearly his terms or pitch are questionable. If they're not then we're screwed if there is no investors or people willing to by the club and the only option available is PS.

The Status Quoers said that there was nobody interested in buying GFC, now PS has confirmed he's had interest, just not in his opinion worthy interest. IMO from experience he's a salesman who tells people what he thinks they want to hear at the time he speaks. Who knows what the truth really is but I've said it before I think the only way PS will leave is if the club is in a similar situation to when PS took over.
Thing is, PS's mindset has changed in that 20 years. The story was that he wanted investors but would retain the running of the club, this isn't particularly attractive so little wonder that we had no interest. He now appears to admit that he'd be happy to just sell up but that most offers require him staying, which he no longer seems to have the appetite for. Can't say I blame him, no real money about, health scares, abusive "fans". F***ed if I'd stick around.
The thing now is that to walk away, he wants what he sees as a fair price to protect his and his family future and that is his right.
What I find amazing is that just about every fan agrees that this would seem to be the right way to go in the interests of the clubs future but still the Fred Perrys of this world want to cause a rumpus. What he's "fighting" for is exactly the same as what Scally wants (and PS actually addresses this in his email) so why not support the club, vocally and financially, until then as surely it would be a much brighter proposition for a potential buyer than the war zone that is currently for sale?

Whilst I agree with your post Nobby the questions in my mind are over belief and trust in what he says. I believe that he says what he thinks people want to hear.

I'm not saying I wouldn't if I were in his shoes to be fair. I'm sure that when the season ticket renewals come out next year there will be lots of positive talk of investors on the horizon etc. It really is down to individuals whether to believe him. I base my trust on actions not words though.

I think I agree with Captain and the only way he will go will be in a similar fashion to the way he came in. That way everyone loses so I hope I am wrong.

Here's hoping for 3 points today. The one thing most can agree on is relegation is the not the way forward.

It’s either Scally running things or nobody running things

Mr Scally is capable of starting an argument in a phone booth. The disasterous implementation of the new ticketing system has alienated upwards of half of our fanbase. If he was an employee of the club he would have got his P45 by now. He should recognise that as a self employed person he should be winding down now and employ a managing director and allow him to manage. If this means that he surrenders £150K or so a year so be it.
I fear that with all the abuse he is getting he will run the club into the ground with no clear sucession strategy.

If they chant anti-Scally slogans and put up banners, there'll be trouble in the ground. They know that, but they don't care. There's a way to protest - this isn't it. I personally heard them chant "Scally is a c***" at Burton. Of course I support freedom of expression, but no one will ever convince me the outers' behaviour is justified or acceptable.
"there'll be trouble in the ground" ?
Surely this is a worrying presumption ?
If true, it gives license to anyone who disagrees with a viewpoint to threaten 'trouble' - in the hope / expectation that the differing viewpoint can / will be shut down ?

How objectors react to a banner or chant is entirely up to them ?
If "trouble" means assault by those reacting, then surely it is they who should face sanction ?

(To repeat, many would rather that "Scally out" is not chanted during the game, but freedom of speech is the cornerstone of a free society.)

Money that could go to the club so we can buy better players and get into The Championship...

No. Sad to say Scally has rejected donations from both the independent supporters and the trust over the years. He won't accept any donation unless it's cash and the donors have no say. Most clubs would willingly accept a donation towards a minibus, or ground covers say but not our man.

If you remember Scally has talked about settimng up a supporters cluvb numerous times over the years. Unfortunately he doesn't understand what a supporters club is and what he wants is a database to facilitate the selling of merchandise and services. He is instinctively suspicious of any true suppoorters organisation. In the rest of the football world supporters clubs exist alongside the football club and have a relationship that is more or less good. That allows the club to have a better idea of the interests, gripes and general attitude of fans, which in turn means that many issues resolve themselves away from the public sphere and with little fuss.

It took the outers and the Sunderland shennanigans for Scally to make some sensible noises and moves but it need not be that way.

It’s either Scally running things or nobody running things

Mr Scally is capable of starting an argument in a phone booth. The disasterous implementation of the new ticketing system has alienated upwards of half of our fanbase. If he was an employee of the club he would have got his P45 by now. He should recognise that as a self employed person he should be winding down now and employ a managing director and allow him to manage. If this means that he surrenders £150K or so a year so be it.
I fear that with all the abuse he is getting he will run the club into the ground with no clear sucession strategy.
I do tend to agree that there appears to be no succession strategy which is not that unusual with company owners.
I know quite a few business owners still working well into their seventies and they certainly don’t need the money. They do it because it gives them a buzz and it’s a reason for existence.
I couldn’t see Scally employing a CEO.
He likes to micro manage too much.
It just wouldn’t work for either party.
A total sell of the club is really the only option.
I’m quite sure, from what he’s said, that he’d be happy to talk with any serious prospective buyer.
I suppose we’ve just got to hope that there is a potential buyer out there.

Thing is, PS's mindset has changed in that 20 years. The story was that he wanted investors but would retain the running of the club, this isn't particularly attractive so little wonder that we had no interest. He now appears to admit that he'd be happy to just sell up but that most offers require him staying, which he no longer seems to have the appetite for. Can't say I blame him, no real money about, health scares, abusive "fans". F***ed if I'd stick around.
The thing now is that to walk away, he wants what he sees as a fair price to protect his and his family future and that is his right.
What I find amazing is that just about every fan agrees that this would seem to be the right way to go in the interests of the clubs future but still the Fred Perrys of this world want to cause a rumpus. What he's "fighting" for is exactly the same as what Scally wants (and PS actually addresses this in his email) so why not support the club, vocally and financially, until then as surely it would be a much brighter proposition for a potential buyer than the war zone that is currently for sale?

Don't disagree with any of that, Nobby. What I am slightly concerned with is the fact that he's been 'looking' for investment during some of the most successful times (and some low times times) in our history as a club and for whatever reason he's not found any. There have been many investments, takeovers and new owners of many clubs up and down the country in PS 25+years in charge of GFC, yet only one (Mr Anderson, the less said about that the better I thjnk) has come to fruition.

Now if you read between the lines PS has stated he doesn't have the funds to take the club forward, so looking to the future if he cant find/isn't a buyer out there, we are likely to either remain as we are or more likely go backwards both on and off the pitch. That then makes his bargaining position and the business less attractive.

As Mark has said it's a case of trust. PS is a salesman by trade so talks alot, actions are different. That's what IMO he should be judged on. There have been far to many false dawns or promises in his time here, so judging him on what he carries out IMO is now the only way.

He doesn't deserve the personal abuse for his time here, however his attitude, communication,actions, rhetoric, ideas that never come to fruition and confrontational manner sometimes make me wonder how he even got this far.

Yes it's his call on how, when and even if he leaves but at the moment the club is a mess and whilst the twat Scally Outers have other personal issues with him, there are plenty of genuine fans who have genuine concerns (and others that dont) where the club is heading if he stays in charge.

IMO the longer is stays in charge the more the business he's trying to find a buyer for will deteriorate, making it less attractive to any potential buyer, hence why I feel we may well end up back where PS found us before we have a change at the top. What the collateral damage, is who knows.

Last edited:
I think you're right Captain.
He took the club out of administration and almost certain total demise.
As things stand, we have more chance of going back that way than the other.
When a club (business) attracts negative publicity, it is always harder to shift.
With the vocal Scally Out brigade getting publicity, I'd say it would be virtually impossible to find a serious buyer.
Who on earth would invest their hard earned money in a club in crisis.
If anyone was actually interested, they would be better biding their time and waiting for the deck of cards to collapse and pick the club up for nothing in a fire sale.

So I'm mad am I .....?
Along with a handful of business / professional supporters, I'd buy Gillingham FC......:oops:
.....but I'd bet Scally would declare our bid "not credible"...
....translated as "not a big enough pay day".

Last edited:
So I'm mad am I .....!
Along with a handful of business / professional supporters, I'd buy Gillingham FC......:oops:
.....but I'd bet Scally would declare our bid "not credible"...
....translated as "not a big enough pay day".
Most would agree with your first sentence .
Finishing with an exclamation mark indicates a statement as opposed to finishing with a question mark which would indicate a question.
Had you used the question mark, then I think most will know the answer.

It's often been asked how are our attendances in comparison I.e. are all teams seeing reduced attendances as people don't return post covid

League One attendances today
16,449 - Charlton
16,231 - Portsmouth
16,087 - Plymouth
10,573 - Rotherham
9,320 Wigan
8,766 - Oxford
8,047 - Lincoln
5,788 Cheltenham
5,609 - Cambridge
4,501 - Crewe
3,609 - Gillingham