John Akinde | Vital Football

John Akinde

APHLCFC

Vital Reserves Team
Took a lot of stick last year, I gave him enough myself. Have to say great credit to him at the start of this season. He's been dropped, not moaned, not sulked, he's got his head down worked hard and played a big part in two goals in the last two games. Can't be easy to take for a bloke of his age and experience who was brought here for big money and with high expectations only a year ago. Great example to those around him and a fantastic option to have in the squad with Walker.

I really think Walker being here is a great boon for JA. He's a big man and was absolutely run into the ground last year - certainly putting the team before his own game. He will get loads of football this season regardless of whether he starts or comes on from the bench. Walker's presence can only help JA keep fresh and I would imagine he can see how that ultimately will help his own game.

I think/hope that having a more advanced midfield will really help him. He was isolated up front for a lot of last season, and never really clicked with McCarten. He definitely looked a threat during his cameo in Saturday.

Yep fair point, he did. I guess i was getting a bit carried away with the last 20 minutes!
No worries mate, something to work on, especially for home games, midfield seem a little deep at times, sure it's being worked on.

I think/hope that having a more advanced midfield will really help him. He was isolated up front for a lot of last season, and never really clicked with McCarten. He definitely looked a threat during his cameo in Saturday.

It's McCartAn NOT McCartEn! How would you like it if we called you 'SimjEn' eh?

Sorry to seem pedantic; it IS important as it IS his proper name.

Payne feels like much more of a provider to me, McCartan seemed to have a spectacular goal in him but maybe a bit less of the clever reverse pass? I can't imagine he got that many assists (although maybe a statto will correct me), whereas Grant and Payne surely both have an eye for a good forward's run.

Agree with the opening couple of posts.

I know all footballers want to play, but he's also probably pleased to a point to have that workload of his shoulders and be the one to come on for the time being.

I know we've been through this before, but am I the only one who would love to see us play 2 recognised centre forwards up front? Tyler Walker has done well but seems a lot easier to knock off the ball than big John.

I know we've been through this before, but am I the only one who would love to see us play 2 recognised centre forwards up front? Tyler Walker has done well but seems a lot easier to knock off the ball than big John.
Strikers like Walker and Akinde, who have scored as many times over their careers know how to put the ball in the net when they get a chance. Cooler in front of goal when the ball is in the danger area than a midfielder would be. I think it needs to be tried, but we also need another quality striker to come in.

Playing with a two doesn’t seem to be the modern way forward in football these days. DC certainly seems to prefer a one up top with another in the hole.

I would like us to try two as well but in Danny we trust.