Midfield conundrum. | Vital Football

Midfield conundrum.

devonexlondonimp

Vital 1st Team Regular
Despite plenty of heads to cover the two midfield spots we could still see the pair of Pett/O`Hara playing a fair few games as DC is still in discussion with Posh on a deal.
https://twitter.com/DMAC102?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

I have counted 6 true midfielders two of which are unfit to play through injury(Frecks/MOC) and 2 are youths who i expect to go out on loan,Bradley plus Chapman.
Live and active for Saturday we have a limited choices with loanee Morrell and half injured Tom Pett(back twinge/knee and sickness) in the front of the queue for shirt wearing contention.
To me the current midfield looks physically lightweight and DC seems to agree as we are still talking to Posh rgards O`Hara.

Hypothetically if we did land o`Hara where do the two most experienced midfielders who are currently injured fit into the equation?
If fit competition for places will be intense and to get match fit the injured players will be behind the curve.
There is a potential that one of our senior pros may even have to go out on loan for games?
In my opinion with the new signings Grant,Walker(pending) and Payne we must be winning the midfield battles to give decent possession to these lads.
The hunt for the ball winner is still on.
Plenty of midfielders on the books but few fit options for Saturday,you can`t plan for injuries.

Looking forward to the season,let`s hope Accrington don`t go bust before Saturday!

I don't see why Bradley should be ruled out or necessarily sent out on loan. He's the same age as Harry Anderson! Get him playing if needed.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Frecklington is no longer with us in a few weeks' time. Seems to be very hard to get him fit to play and must be on a decent wage - another one, like Rhead, where we can't afford sentimentality?

is the Peterborough chairman attempting to worm out any last minute suitors for O'Hara after we agreed fee?

he said initially on twitter that the option had expired - this is clearly not the case.

Bag of salt needed?

I don't see why Bradley should be ruled out or necessarily sent out on loan. He's the same age as Harry Anderson! Get him playing if needed.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Frecklington is no longer with us in a few weeks' time. Seems to be very hard to get him fit to play and must be on a decent wage - another one, like Rhead, where we can't afford sentimentality?

not seen Bradley play but DC intimated that he was intending to loan him out.
In the light that Tom Pett has a few issues we may see Bradley on Saturday?
we are down to the bare bones with all the injured lads.

not seen Bradley play but DC intimated that he was intending to loan him out.
In the light that Tom Pett has a few issues we may see Bradley on Saturday?
we are down to the bare bones with all the injured lads.
Yep, I understood he was intending to send Bradley on loan first, but I wonder if injuries mean that will be put on hold. I think he's 22, so not that young either - and has played in League One already. I would expect him to make the bench this weekend.

Not sure what the deal is with O'Connor - seemed to be injured, then played in one match, then unavailable again. Perhaps being carefully managed, like Bostwick?

If we could payoff or move on Freck then it would be great wage off the books. My fear is he'll play barely any football this term due to injury and the fact that there are 3 or 4 players who are probably better/more reliable fitness wise to have a prolonged run in the side. Unfortunately for me it's not quite gone as well as originally planned. Great lad and a good player on his day, but unfortunately not enough of those days...

If we could payoff or move on Freck then it would be great wage off the books. My fear is he'll play barely any football this term due to injury and the fact that there are 3 or 4 players who are probably better/more reliable fitness wise to have a prolonged run in the side. Unfortunately for me it's not quite gone as well as originally planned. Great lad and a good player on his day, but unfortunately not enough of those days...

That's a good summation of Frecklington's second stint with us. It hasn't totally worked out, but there have been some good moments. Still a good player on his day, but you do wonder what the point is in having a high-wage player in the squad if he is going to be injured more often than not. As has already been said, no room for sentimentality these days.

Its not Freck’s fault that an awful late challenge by a goalkeeper has restricted his ability to play more often, you can bet your life he didn’t want things to work out this way, so talk of drumming him out because he’s injured leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I know some spectators (I won’t call them fans) are very quick to call players rubbish and we should get them off the books, but, they should remember he was injured in Lincoln City FC’s employment and he has every right to expect his contract to be honoured.

Its not Freck’s fault that an awful late challenge by a goalkeeper has restricted his ability to play more often, you can bet your life he didn’t want things to work out this way, so talk of drumming him out because he’s injured leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I know some spectators (I won’t call them fans) are very quick to call players rubbish and we should get them off the books, but, they should remember he was injured in Lincoln City FC’s employment and he has every right to expect his contract to be honoured.
I haven't said he is/was rubbish, but that as a club we haven't necessarily had value for the wages he's getting - not Frecks fault by any stretch but even when he's played he hasn't been head and shoulders above the rest. Unfortunately I think we are evolving and developing so quickly as a squad that we naturally reach a point where the players coming in surpass the quality already on the books and if their game time is going to be limited then ala Rhead it may be better to move on in different directions. Personally for me I would appoint Shacks as captainas I think he'll have a much bigger impact on the squad on/off the pitch. I have no grudges against Freck but it's just not been as good as expected, even before the PV game...

Hi Worcester
You're correct he has every right to expect his contract to be honoured, but that's not necessary how things work in football especially if the manager requires extra funds to strengthen the team, these things tend to happen.

The story of Frecks career to date after he left us the first time is one of playing well, getting injured, fighting back and then getting injured again. He was highly unlikely to play in 40-odd games in any season and never ever for 2 in a row. All that's happened since he joined us is that trend has continued..

I hope we sign O’Hara because without someone like him (or O’Connor), we look very lightweight in the middle of the park.

The dream would be for someone like Kristian Pearce to sign and we can play Bossie in front of the back four.
Now that is the dream!

The story of Frecks career to date after he left us the first time is one of playing well, getting injured, fighting back and then getting injured again. He was highly unlikely to play in 40-odd games in any season and never ever for 2 in a row. All that's happened since he joined us is that trend has continued..

Indeed, Rotherham fans weren't that sad to see him go as they remarked how he always seemed to be injured. Not his fault, but in life, some people are more prone to injury than others. He started 39 league games for the Millers in 2014-15, but every season since it's been 24, 26, 18, 33, 23 (and from 2009 to 2014 – 26, 3, 35, 31, 0). Now he's 33 and not getting any younger and so you'd imagine he'd be more prone to injury. Not that I'm advocating we should get rid as he is a class act, but there comes a time when you have to draw the line somewhere and make a tough decision.