Transfer talk - summer 2024 | Page 2 | Vital Football

Transfer talk - summer 2024

Seen a rumour that Villa are not interested in takin Cameron Archer back in the summer(Football Insider) UTB

He was at Beershot, the club owned by the Prince. What happened to the plan of SUFC getting the best players from these feeder clubs. Could have got him cheap but ……
The problem was back then he'd only scored 5 goals for Beerschot and his other goals had only come at Scottish Championship level and their lower leagues which is basically like English League 2 down to Premier North standards. Scoring against Celtic and Rangers this season will have raised his stock but at 28, he still hasn't gained a full cap in a shite Scottish national side who once thought McBurnie was the answer. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The Villa fans are under the impression it's just a standard buy back clause with Archer. The same for them with Aaron Ramsey and Philogene.

Despite what Abdullah says I'm sceptical there is a buyback obligation in the contract. I'm sceptical a clause like that would get past the PL's scrutiny checks. It's more likely there's been a memorandum of understanding agreed between the clubs and player that he'd go back if we go down.

A shame because a fit and firing Archer guarantees Championship goals.

We forked out £50+ million for 'strikers' McBurnie, Brewster and Mousset 4-5 years ago and their contribution to our cause has been 37 goals total between them. Factor in their wages and it's probably cost the club well over £2m per goal and guess what? We couldn't give 2 of them away and the other will only be worth a fraction of what we paid for him so we can't even recoup much by cashing in. I keep hearing people say 'Ah but, McB's good defensively'. He's a £20m striker FFS! We bought him to score goals not keep them out.

McB and Brewster need to be first out of the door, this current duo along with the talented but work-shy Mousset are for me the biggest single reason that we're in the mess we are today, McB and Mousset haven't been/weren't even good for the club off the pitch, they stank the place out. If they come good somewhere else good luck to them but get rid!

Last edited:
Presumably Villa will buy Archer back and then try to offload him. If he has no PL or other top league options we need to make sure we're front of the queue.

Villa will be obliged to buy him back because if we stood to keep him as things stand then Wilder would have committed to him a lot more. But he was sidelined for Brereton.

If we have Archer back next season he'll score 25 and we'll be promoted.

We forked out £50+ million for 'strikers' McBurnie, Brewster and Mousset 4-5 years ago and their contribution to our cause has been 37 goals total between them. Factor in their wages and it's probably cost the club well over £2m per goal and guess what? We couldn't give 2 of them away and the other will only be worth a fraction of what we paid for him so we can't even recoup much by cashing in. I keep hearing people day 'Ah but, McB's good defensively'. He's a £20m striker FFS! We bought him to score goals not keep them out.

McB and Brewster need to be first out of the door, this current duo along with the talented but work-shy Mousset are for me the biggest single reason that we're in the mess we are today, McB and Mousset haven't been/weren't even good for the club off the pitch, they stank the place out. If they come good somewhere else good luck to them but get rid!
Spot on GB.
Sick of hearing those 'they'll come good, unlucky with injuries, helps the defence' apologists for the 2 failures that are still with us.
Many say the prince has been mean with the money but, when you've spunked 50mill plus up the wall,maybe, just maybe you become a tad more cautious when the recruiters etc tell you these are the next ones who will bail you out.

Not fit for purpose,never have been ,never will be. The sooner they are out of the club the better

Presumably Villa will buy Archer back and then try to offload him. If he has no PL or other top league options we need to make sure we're front of the queue.

Villa will be obliged to buy him back because if we stood to keep him as things stand then Wilder would have committed to him a lot more. But he was sidelined for Brereton.

If we have Archer back next season he'll score 25 and we'll be promoted.
If Archer's 'He goes back if we go down' deal isn't set in stone he'd definitely be an asset if his head was right. I just worry that that his heart would be still in the Premier League at Villa.

Seen a rumour that Villa are not interested in takin Cameron Archer back in the summer(Football Insider) UTB
Interested or not it’s in the contract and can’t see many prem clubs queuing up for him they’re goin to have to take a big hit on what we paid, to say he’s been hugely disappointing is an understatement

The Villa fans are under the impression it's just a standard buy back clause with Archer. The same for them with Aaron Ramsey and Philogene.

Despite what Abdullah says I'm sceptical there is a buyback obligation in the contract. I'm sceptical a clause like that would get past the PL's scrutiny checks. It's more likely there's been a memorandum of understanding agreed between the clubs and player that he'd go back if we go down.

A shame because a fit and firing Archer guarantees Championship goals.
The deal was subjected to extra scrutiny due to all the ifs and buts but it is set in stone even if we wanted him he would have to go back and then we would have to start from scratch which I don’t think Chris is too bothered about as he’s hardly been first choice when available

If Archer's 'He goes back if we go down' deal isn't set in stone he'd definitely be an asset if his head was right. I just worry that that his heart would be still in the Premier League at Villa.
Villa won’t want him and if we stayed up I wouldn’t either underperformed is one way of saying it

Villa won’t want him and if we stayed up I wouldn’t either underperformed is one way of saying it
While I agree that he has underperformed, like the rest, I wonder how much that has to do with coming to a club and realising quickly that we were going to get relegated from the first match. Did they all just give up, when they saw what was ahead.?

While I agree that he has underperformed, like the rest, I wonder how much that has to do with coming to a club and realising quickly that we were going to get relegated from the first match. Did they all just give up, when they saw what was ahead.?
Even if that was the case surely you would still do your best as you are in the shop window serious mental negatives if that’s his thinking,look at BBD came here knowing full well we’re going down but knows he’s in the spotlight and potential suitors are watching

That's why I'm not convinced he'll be such a good fit for us even in the Championship Bully. When he plays well he definitely looks the part, but I just think at times he's played like a loan player who in the words of Elvis Costello, 'would rather be anywhere else but here today...' I think he'll be gutted if he doesn't end up back at Villa or at least back in the PL, but in truth he's not done enough (yet) to warrant it.

Even if that was the case surely you would still do your best as you are in the shop window serious mental negatives if that’s his thinking,look at BBD came here knowing full well we’re going down but knows he’s in the spotlight and potential suitors are watching
I definitely think there's been a bit of 'what the hell have I done?' going on with some of our players and I think he's one of them. It'll be interesting to see if he can up his game during the last few weeks like some players do, but I suspect that being part of a squad so far off the pace and with a big-ish price tag on his own back has proved to much for him to handle.

Spot on GB.
Sick of hearing those 'they'll come good, unlucky with injuries, helps the defence' apologists for the 2 failures that are still with us.
Many say the prince has been mean with the money but, when you've spunked 50mill plus up the wall,maybe, just maybe you become a tad more cautious when the recruiters etc tell you these are the next ones who will bail you out.

Not fit for purpose,never have been ,never will be. The sooner they are out of the club the better
Definitely, I even recall a few on social media wailing over the loss of Mousset and trying to make a case for him having a special talent that could be nurtured, but the facts are that in the 2 years since he left us and the Premier League behind, he's floundered around the French lower leagues and scored 1 goal in just 15 games. He's STILL being a disaster and so have/are McB and Brewster, although in Brewster's case it isn't self inflicted. It's Liverpool who had our pants down not him, I'm sure they knew the score and saw us coming.

Definitely, I even recall a few on social media wailing over the loss of Mousset and trying to make a case for him having a special talent that could be nurtured, but the facts are that in the 2 years since he left us and the Premier League behind, he's floundered around the French lower leagues and scored 1 goal in just 15 games. He's STILL being a disaster and so have/are McB and Brewster, although in Brewster's case it isn't self inflicted. It's Liverpool who had our pants down not him, I'm sure they knew the score and saw us coming.
Mousset was very good in that first season and looked dangerous when he was on't pitch, Oli McB had a good season also in my opinion but yeah neither have been what you'd call good over all their time at BDBL.Mousset is wastin what talent he has, but in Brewsters case i'm gutted for the kid with all these injuries. UTB

Mousset was very good in that first season and looked dangerous when he was on't pitch, Oli McB had a good season also in my opinion but yeah neither have been what you'd call good over all their time at BDBL.Mousset is wastin what talent he has, but in Brewsters case i'm gutted for the kid with all these injuries. UTB
Did our medical team carry Due diligence before signing him. He was out at Liverpool for well over a year. The fee of about 23million was far too much for someone who had played so little after such an injury. Unfortunately we were desperate for a CF at the time