The Super John McGinn Thread | Page 98 | Vital Football

The Super John McGinn Thread

Gone from being the joker who dresses up as a turkey at Christmas to being a leader who seems like he's had a change in mindset based on the way he's been talking in the last few weeks, putting it all out there on the pitch and leading by example. Developed into a true captain!

I'm sorry (and feel very stupid) that I suggested that he should have been moved out of the club.

Gone from being the joker who dresses up as a turkey at Christmas to being a leader who seems like he's had a change in mindset based on the way he's been talking in the last few weeks, putting it all out there on the pitch and leading by example. Developed into a true captain!

I'm sorry (and feel very stupid) that I suggested that he should have been moved out of the club.

You aren't the only one who thought he was done when Unai came in. I remember the first few games under Unai when Mcginn was benched and didn't look up to it when he came on.

I'm so thankful we've a manager who can improve players to levels we never thought they had in them.

Absolutely crazy tackle for the red card today but I personally think it was based on frustration that his teammates weren't putting in the required effort. He can't do it all on his own but was the only one showing some fight and bollocks today

Absolutely crazy tackle for the red card today but I personally think it was based on frustration that his teammates weren't putting in the required effort. He can't do it all on his own but was the only one showing some fight and bollocks today
Yes, up until that tackle I thought McGinn and Pau were the only two players who seemed to be on their game. Hopefully he comes back with a point to prove and helps us secure CL football for next season

Brain fart moment from McGinn . Ridiculous really and I don't see it getting overturned either. As captain it's even worse.
Not his finest moment and he will know that more than anyone. He is proud to lead this club. Ask anyone who has waited for his autograph after a match. He never leaves till they have all had one or a few words.

A credit to our club.

2nd red card in 388 domestic games, Utterly frustrated tackle . Not helpful but can’t say I blame him in a way. Trying to drag his teammates single handedly back into a game they had lost the plot in.

Going to be a huge miss. Absolutely no one does what he does for us or any other club tbh. In fact SJM is the only player no matter what club people support they say to me how they would love him in their team. Even the Tesco bag fans I know say it.

Watching it back I still think it's a red to be honest. There's basically two angles, the one in real time, which is strong evidence for it being a red, and the other angle from behind in slow motion, which makes it look a lot better. Since the game is not played in slow motion the only relevant footage is the one in real time. This shows that McGinn steamed into a player at high speed and basically punted the player knee height with zero attempt to get the ball.

The speed and aggression of the challenge was key here and in my opinion fulfills the criteria for dangerous play. Had McGinn got a yellow I think I'd be saying he was lucky to get one. Had van de Ven done this to Watkins I'd be calling for a red.

Not a good challenge at the end of the day obviously born out of frustration but what McGinn has to learn from this is that at 2-0 with 11 we still had a chance to get a point and also that him being out for 3 matches is going to cost us especially given the injuries we have.