Connor Wickham | Page 6 | Vital Football

Connor Wickham

Nadeson needs game time. After his injury he needs game time and unfortunately fans don’t give players time.
I think that is the point. I am not saying Nads is a world beater but his goals early in the season were all in the first half - Southampton 12 minutes, Accrington 29 minutes and Sutton 10 minutes - which is something we have been missing recently, as has the fox in the box instinct and I remember him being in the box to convert a Nichols cross from very close range.

He was out for a fair period so difficult to build up fitness, then match fitness, then stamina, then rhythm. All the while being judged in the same way as another player who has had a run of games.

Maybe he needs to start and be replaced on the hour by either Walker or Gbode.

Nadeson needs game time. After his injury he needs game time and unfortunately fans don’t give players time.
On a side issue, we aren’t Liverpool and half of their new crop are stolen from the likes of us and lower division clubs. They have the luxury to gamble with the likes of Gdobe and we don’t. We need instant.
Just hope our new vision is to give the likes of Joe the opportunity
It’s all very well saying that, but we can’t have passengers. I wish him well and second half Saturday was a step in the right direction and earns him his place for Saturday for me. However, we can’t just play people who aren’t performing to get them fit and/or in form. We saw with Walker, he got a couple of starts, clearly wasn’t up to it and has been dropped since. Nadesan needs to take his chance.

With games coming thick and fast, the issues with Hurtado and Andrews must have brought on some heavy headaches for GFC`s coaching staff. We`ve only 12 games left - just 12. Our improved wide play and build-up has provided a better environment for our main man Hawks and we`ve seen a big improvement in his effectiveness. But our need for a #2 has become quite urgent (not a reference to tenesmus btw).

Arguably, we`re missing a forward with a bit of strength in the opposition box to "feed" off Hawks. Andrews probably could, but he`s out. Walker may have been brought in for that task but he appears to have struggled. Nads brings pace but i`m not sure he`s the strong-man-in-box type. I`ve mentioned Gbode as young Jo has strength in the box. Apart from Walker have we got anyone else who fits that role ? I`m asking, as i`m not sure we have.

IF we can pick up a free agent that guy is gonna have to be match ready. Though, as Shotshy has mentioned, if the guy is someone like Wickham, 30 mins a match would still be an asset.

Coaches must be scratching their heads right now. If we do manage to get into the play-offs it will have been a huge effort by players and coaches. Here we go.....

What about Reo Griffiths released by Mutual consent due to illness in November by Doncaster. Past potential at Spurs and Lyon .Just 23

Reo’s name has popped up on the fans forum. Someone saying that his “usual source” has said Reo Griffiths is training with us.

The usual ITK folk are saying they’ve heard nothing about it.

I’m a (very) minority shareholder and have to confess that it wasn’t me.
I did however hear that Wickham damaged his finger while signing the contract and will be out until the end of the season 😄

Still, this is good and in line with our emphasis on long term. We’re not only cultivating young talent with sell on potential. We’re also developing a pool of wiley pros and veterans who, when fit, can provide cover, albeit primarily for each other at times.

Last edited:
However, we can’t just play people who aren’t performing to get them fit and/or in form. We saw with Walker, he got a couple of starts, clearly wasn’t up to it and has been dropped since. Nadesan needs to take his chance.
Unless we do sign a free agent, what is the alternative?

Gbode hasn't been performing in a goal scoring sense at any of his non league clubs either. We can try him, but there is no reason to be confident that he would be ready to respond and be "up to it", particularly still being a teenager.

Fair play to Charlton for doing what we should be doing. Not necessarily saying we could or should have signed Wickham, but from Clemence’s comments in the KoL last week, it seems that our pig headed lack of acceptance of the goal scoring issue continues and we aren’t even looking at free agents like Wickham.

Fair play to Charlton for doing what we should be doing. Not necessarily saying we could or should have signed Wickham, but from Clemence’s comments in the KoL last week, it seems that our pig headed lack of acceptance of the goal scoring issue continues and we aren’t even looking at free agents like Wickham.
In the Factory after the Wrexham game Brad Galinson told supporters to “watch this space” regarding a free agent signing.

Font of all knowledge Fred claimed that Scally met with Connor Wickham the day after the Wrexham match, but nothing came of it - presumably wages or other terms weren’t agreed or he just kept his options open.

Goals win games and we just don’t score enough signing an unfit striker hasn’t helped not saying it’s a bad signing as he hasn’t had his chance yet but it’s typical of the whole striker recruitment