The Official Stockport County Match Thread (Sponsored by Estrella Damm "for all your après ski needs") | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Official Stockport County Match Thread (Sponsored by Estrella Damm "for all your après ski needs")

What a load of rubbish. We were lucky to escape with a point but for poor finishing from Stockport.

The midfield was poor,passing was bad and i cannot remember 1 shot for us.

Turner looks to be injured.

Walker offers nothing at all but wasn't really given anything. Poor and pointless panic signing.

At least Hawkins being marked by 2 players at set pieces was a highlight!

The extended trip home, via the M20, added to the tedium.

I hate coming home from the midweek games but tonight was pointless as we offered northing.

Not good enough.

Last edited:
I’ve had a few so won’t pontificate too much, but if Stockport are top, we have a chance. They were awful and we were no better. Fine to take a draw against a top team (albeit a shit one) but we need to start winning. I’ll revisit tomorrow.
The difference is, that's probably a bad day at the office for Stockport, while it's the standard for us

This is football, and more specifically this is Gillingham, so I’ve come to expect disappointment. But, the Galinson’s have done a ton of money & tonight there was 5,300 there. So, what we’re doing as a business is not sustainable. Footballs always about blame and I’m reluctant to do it but fkn hell, something isn’t right, we’ve spent a ton and we’ve not played well at home since when? Literally I’ve seen every home game this season and I thought we played well for 60 minutes under Millen against MK Dons, and against Charlton who didn’t turn up. Something is seriously amiss. I appreciate it’s all a ton better now then it was 18 months ago (was there 3-0 defeat by Salford just before Galinson’s took over infront of 3,900) but you’ve gotta say something is seriously up when we’re spending all this money and we’re treating Stockport like they’re fkn Real Madrid .

Its like sleep, repeat.Not for the first time we were just so ponderous and lethargic all over the pitch. What do they do in the build up to a game, take fecking sleeping pills? We just lack energy, intent, urgency and any desire to try and score goals. Its just really mind numbing to watch.

Stockport wernt great but still should have scored three decent chances. As for Naddesan, I really don't see why he's still with us, he looks lost.

Bigger question is would you trust our recruitment team with another windowin the summer? If I was Brad I'd be saying bye to both KJ and Hess.

Only 4943 home fans tonight - against the league leaders. Poor crowd.
After six pages of everyone saying what a waste of money it was...

I pick and choose my games. After Notts County and Swindon, I considered schlepping to Newport and wisely decided not to bother. After that reported borefest, and news of the injury to our one creative player, I saw no good reason to fork out for this game either.

Sometimes I go to Priestfield out of loyalty: I've been a supporter for 40 years and there have been worse spells than this, results wise. Usually it's in the hope of being entertained rather than bored, frustrated and disappointed for 90 minutes - and it feels like it could be a long time before that's a reasonable expectation. Not that I go there often either, but for the last three years(!) the Chats have been much more fun to watch than the Gills, for half the price.

What a load of rubbish. We were lucky to escape with a point but for poor finishing from Stockport.

The midfield was poor,passing was bad and i cannot remember 1 shot for us.

Turner looks to be injured.

Walker offers nothing at all but wasn't really given anything. Poor and pointless panic signing.

At least Hawkins being marked by 2 players at set pieces was a highlight!

The extended trip home, via the M20, added to the tedium.

I hate coming home from the midweek games but tonight was pointless as we offered northing.

Not good enough.
What did you expect against the league leaders with the players we had available?

A clean sheet & a point v the table toppers is plenty good enough for me.

Another abject performance. We were told that Clemence would bring exciting football, but for some reason we still distribute it to the centre halves who immediately look to kick it long?

The only bright spark has been the 76 minutes Hurtado played across his 3 appearances. There's no desire to press or actually hunt the ball down and play progressive football. Dreadful.
Were we actually told that Clemence would bring exciting football? Or is that just an inference of the now infamous new direction quote?

From the Stockport forum… …this guy gets it. I had hoping that Clemance was starting to give us some entertainment after the Notts and Swindon games. But Newport was abject and last night was a typical NH performance. Zzzzzz.

Posted by Fuzzbox
invisible.gif
on February 20, 2024, 22:08:56, in reply to "Re: Good point but.."

I would hate to be a Gills fan watching that sort of stuff week in week out.

Were we actually told that Clemence would bring exciting football? Or is that just an inference of the now infamous new direction quote?
That, and the assumption that an American owner would want to bring excitement.

I did make the point, however, that I seem to remember that near the end of Steve Bruce's last couple of jobs the fans were calling for his head due to poor form and the dire football he was playing. SC was doing the coaching.

That, and the assumption that an American owner would want to bring excitement.

I did make the point, however, that I seem to remember that near the end of Steve Bruce's last couple of jobs the fans were calling for his head due to poor form and the dire football he was playing. SC was doing the coaching.
I have to admit I'm sceptical about Clemence's ability at this level. But for me the recruitment team should be in the cross hairs

Did he play yesterday?
Well there was a player on the pitch with his name on the back. I honestly can't remember him touching the ball. I assume he must have on some occasions.

Sums up how useless our so called 'midfield' is. Weakest couple of forwards I think I've ever seen at the Gills and a midfield that creates f### all. No wonder we rarely score.

Last night was like watching a Harris team.

Good chips from the Gordon Road chippy though.

The recruitment team are there to build the B team into reserves/future stars for the first team, so judge them in a couple of years.

Point against top of the table isn't a bad result by any means, hardly like it was a backs to the wall and desperately clinging on performance. Bit of a slog to sit through but got the job done.

Unlucky to have Hawkins come down with illness this week as this seemed like a game where he could've caused a few problems. Credit to him to still get out there for half an hour or so, hope he'll be rested up and in better shape for the weekend.

Having just lost Jorge & with Andrews suffering a setback we're not having a lot of luck with personnel up front, both seem particularly unfortunate (but the latter is no doubt being used as evidence of poor judgement against the club in some quarters)

Pleased to see Clark have another decent performance as I've always thought he was a little hard done by, he's had to wait for his opportunity but he's taken it well.

Still well in touch of the playoffs and increasingly it looks like there's very few decent teams in this league even at the top end - at least one crappy team is going to make the playoffs, could still easily be us.

Thinking back to Kenny's answers regarding our transfer activity in the window, Hurtado, we were told, was a very last minute signing when advised he was available. We were also told that Andrews availability came very late in the day as we'd originally planned to sign him in the summer. That leaves Walker as the only striking option who wasn't signed at the last minute.

Makes me wonder what the recruitment team's plan was for boosting our striking options given they'd had four months to identify and work on improving this area.

Thinking back to Kenny's answers regarding our transfer activity in the window, Hurtado, we were told, was a very last minute signing when advised he was available. We were also told that Andrews availability came very late in the day as we'd originally planned to sign him in the summer. That leaves Walker as the only striking option who wasn't signed at the last minute.

Makes me wonder what the recruitment team's plan was for boosting our striking options given they'd had four months to identify and work on improving this area.
Do worry that once again we got distracted by an entirely fanciful attempt to sign a player that was never coming to us in a million years and not pursued more realistic options as a result.