Aston Villa vs Manchester United - Sunday 11 Feb 16:30 | Page 30 | Vital Football

Aston Villa vs Manchester United - Sunday 11 Feb 16:30

We created the chances but if you don't take them what can you do ? I don't think it's unlucky it was basically poor finishing and poor defending that cost us the game .
I agree it is poor finishing this is why we need an Upgrade on Ollie or for him to upgrade his touch and finishing, he had chance of a Hattrick yesterday and never go one

Thoroughly depressing waking up this morning and thinking about what might have been yesterday….but after a brisk morning walk my positive morning specs are back on. Bollocks to Man Utd. We’re as good as six points in front of them with our much better goal difference and only a point behind Spurs. Fourth place is still in our own hands. Take away the current disappointment, if we’d been told way back in August that the league table would look like this in mid Feb without knowing the ins and outs of recent form, we’d have been bouncing off the ceiling. Next six figures are all winnable before we play Man City and if we perform like we did yesterday we’ll pick up more points than we lose. A defeat to those wankers yesterday whilst so disappointing shouldn’t deflate us. If we’d been really poor maybe it would be a different story and the writing would be on the wall but we were more than decent. Every game’s a cup final. Still all to play for.

"We don't want too many Leicester
Citys."

When all the super league stuff kicked off a few years ago, I ventured into a Leicester City forum to see what other fans were saying, and those weren’t far off my exact words to the Leicester fans “they don’t want any more Leicester city’s”.

They want a Blackburn or Leicester once every twenty years for PR purposes so that they can claim it is based on sporting merit, and to also generate the Netflix documentary income where they can sell the rights to the series.

Overall, the new age owners want it to become a closed shop for protection of their own investment. When you have clubs owned by countries worth trillions, I don’t see the FA having the balls to genuinely keep the game based on sporting integrity.

The freekick for the first goal shouldn't have been given. But the corner was a completely different passage of play that we should have done much better on. The ref wasn't to blame for us wasting chances at the other end as well.

So yeah I agree, whilst the ref was a abysmal when should have won in spite of his incompetence and that's on us.

Yes, although there was a question of offside when they got the corner as well.

BUT yes, agreed, whether the decision is right, wrong or indifferent, you still have to deal with what follows.

Gutting yesterday. But strangely, nice to be back to feeling gutted when we lose, as opposed to the pale surrenders of far too many seasons. We played well, we deserved more from the game - as pundits also said, but you don't get what you deserve in sport, you get what you get. We could easily have been 3-1 winners, the draw would have been a shame with our chances and possession and play, but these things happen.

I said yesterday, Man Utd aren't the average team people are saying. No team top half are that average, they can't be. They have underperformed, had average games, and had a good few woeful games, but my point was any team on their day, and any team like Man Utd, can win v anyone. They have quality players. We matched them, in fact, more than matched them, for most of the game we were the better team.

Makes it gutting to lose. I've had a good few over the last few years where I've just refused to feel emotionally involved or gutted. My point was if they can't make the effort, when us fans make the effort, then why should I get upset. (not quite as easy as that!)

So yes, this isn't a top Man Utd but it is a Man Utd playing better, rising up the league and to be in the conversation from pundits and even some pundits who are Man Utd fans, and being talked about with respect and the positives highlighted, shows the progress.

Hate losing, hate it, always have, hate it in anything, I wouldn't even like to lose at tiddlywinks, but I won't slate a team who have put up that sort of performance.

I'm a great fan of Ollie and all he brings to us. However he has to score at least one of the 2 gilt edged chances he had. At least we have 3 weeks now with only 1 game a week. UTV.
Don’t think he did much wrong with his chances - the two just hit the keeper rather than him saving em - if you know what I mean. Very enjoyable game and on another day we could have won by 2/3 or at least got a minimum deserved draw. I would have kept Bailey on for longer to provide for Watkins but Diaby did ok - he just needs some fortune to come his way with the run of the ball.

I'm a great fan of Ollie and all he brings to us. However he has to score at least one of the 2 gilt edged chances he had. At least we have 3 weeks now with only 1 game a week. UTV.
I've always said he's a 1 in 3 striker, give him 3 good chances 1 goes in. At least he hit the target yesterday and made the keeper work, our other gilt edged chances weren't even put on target .
We are paying the price though for not having any real option to Watkins it was a risk all along

Gutting yesterday. But strangely, nice to be back to feeling gutted when we lose, as opposed to the pale surrenders of far too many seasons. We played well, we deserved more from the game - as pundits also said, but you don't get what you deserve in sport, you get what you get. We could easily have been 3-1 winners, the draw would have been a shame with our chances and possession and play, but these things happen.

I said yesterday, Man Utd aren't the average team people are saying. No team top half are that average, they can't be. They have underperformed, had average games, and had a good few woeful games, but my point was any team on their day, and any team like Man Utd, can win v anyone. They have quality players. We matched them, in fact, more than matched them, for most of the game we were the better team.

Makes it gutting to lose. I've had a good few over the last few years where I've just refused to feel emotionally involved or gutted. My point was if they can't make the effort, when us fans make the effort, then why should I get upset. (not quite as easy as that!)

So yes, this isn't a top Man Utd but it is a Man Utd playing better, rising up the league and to be in the conversation from pundits and even some pundits who are Man Utd fans, and being talked about with respect and the positives highlighted, shows the progress.

Hate losing, hate it, always have, hate it in anything, I wouldn't even like to lose at tiddlywinks, but I won't slate a team who have put up that sort of performance.
Plenty of my villa mates were crestfallen after the game in the pub, proper gutted. Think I have lost that way of feeling by not going every week. Have to say I really enjoyed it yesterday apart from the result, as you say it was great to see us mixing it and easily matching a half decent Man U team that have hit form results wise. 4/5/6th is all to play for along with the European thingy we are in.

Perhaps we can measure how much we have improved under Unai against Fulham next week, Gerrard’s last fixture. But that was a terrific game yesterday and when we equalised it was an incredible moment. Friend next to me asked would I take the point right now thus keeping Man U 8 points behind. But the game was poised for us to strike the killer blow and despite how the crowd willed it, it just wouldn’t come. But would you change Unai for Erik? I don’t even need to ask you that and that’s why we can look forward to completing yesterday’s job in the not too distant future.

What is it with people with Half and half scarves watching the United players warm up yesterday from the Doug Ellis? How are these Feckers getting tickets, I was nearly bowled over by a man of Chinese appearance racing to see United warming up. You can't get much more obvious that they are not dyed in the wool Villans.
This is why I'm not too fussed about ground extensions and corporate facilities they might bring more money but they eventually kill the atmosphere. Kill the game despite everything we still love.

What is it with people with Half and half scarves watching the United players warm up yesterday from the Doug Ellis? How are these Feckers getting tickets, I was nearly bowled over by a man of Chinese appearance racing to see United warming up. You can't get much more obvious that they are not dyed in the wool Villans.
This is why I'm not too fussed about ground extensions and corporate facilities they might bring more money but they eventually kill the atmosphere. Kill the game despite everything we still love.

Modern £00tball that. To be fair, it must be nice to be interested in football but not to the mad/all encompassing level a lot of us are. So nothing wrong, if I am forced to be nice, for those that just want to see a top game and not worry! My brother, used to attend a little bit, not week-in-week-out like me, dropped off, but is still interested. But he will be far more 'must have been an exciting match' type, if we lose say 4-3... whereas I'll be 'we lost' !

But in agreement, they are already killing the game, the old school fan is no longer of any importance (thought my often voiced protestations to the club over the years and on my old sky sports etc interviews that we are a massive part of the 'product' was massively illustrated during covid.

But no, look at our lot, corporate junk in THE Holte end. Plenty of fans who have gone for generations priced out, and all they can think of is the next seat available to grab for corporate.

The trains were a bloody joke yesterday - add to that idiot youngsters with their handbags egged on by older looking hooligans. The train to Witton/Aston half a hour before KO was a shocking affair and an embarrassment being a Villa fan. Add into the mix jobsworth rail staff

The none " regular " fans are all around the ground. A fair few in the Upper Trinity. A couple standing on the stairs holding each end of a half and half scarf doing selfie was one example. The gentrification of the pricing is coming home to roost. It affects the atmosphere as well or rather lack of sometimes.

i guess i'll be a "none regular" next season when the ST isnt renewed and i probably pick 3 or 4 games that i can actually attend and just go to those. I wont ever buy a half n half scarf though

Perhaps we can measure how much we have improved under Unai against Fulham next week, Gerrard’s last fixture. But that was a terrific game yesterday and when we equalised it was an incredible moment. Friend next to me asked would I take the point right now thus keeping Man U 8 points behind. But the game was poised for us to strike the killer blow and despite how the crowd willed it, it just wouldn’t come. But would you change Unai for Erik? I don’t even need to ask you that and that’s why we can look forward to completing yesterday’s job in the not too distant future.
Yes,Wicked Messenger, big picture time. ASTONVILLA are on the up. We ha e endured the old pre Ellis Dinosaurs, Ellis, Randy, Tony. New stadium or tart up Villa Park?