Match Thread: Lincoln City v Peterborough United | Page 10 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Peterborough United

Back home and I have to say that was the second 0-0 match in succession I have actually enjoyed being at. It was somewhat different to the Derby game with it being a lot less frenetic, but fascinating to see how we coped with their possession and looked to counter attack.
In reality a game where there were few clear cut chances. Most of their shots were from distance and relatively easy for Jensen to deal with. We were extremely disciplined throughout and could very easily have snatched the win with that late effort by Hamilton which from my position I genuinely thought had crept in at first.
Overall a good point again and a decent performance. You can tell a team's performance is appreciated when home fans clap the team off despite a goalless game. That happened again today.
It may be strange to say that despite only scoring once in the last three games, we do look more dangerous when we go forward. The goals will come.
Now we have to move to that next level from the good points earned in the last three drawn games to excellent three points from wins.

Football is such a funny old game- I thought Posh were extremely poor, nowhere near Bolton or Derby in terms of quality. I guess we all see football differently. Meanwhile, at Morecambe, Ali Smith played a MOTM game for Colchester....playing is his actual position. Who'd have thought it!

I wouldn't describe them as extremely poor.
I think up to our 18 yard box they were very good technically and thought we worked really hard to compete with them.

A lot depends how teams perform on the day but they are the leagues top scorers and I think they will be in the automatic slots for promotion, possibly as Champions.

Pleased for Ali Smith though.
Hope he does well at Colchester.

Enjoyed the match and thought atmosphere in ground was really good. Skubala got his tactics spot on my nullifying there main threat down the wings.
We have just matched 2 of the best teams in the league we now need to start beating the lesser quality teams, starting with Burton.
Where is the MOTM thread?

One other point from todays match is perhaps to highlight the things we still need to put right. Starting to get a lot of things right now but our corners and deadball play is still very poor, would have thought that was painfully obvious by now. We load the box up for corners then usually fail to beat the first man. Come on Skoobs you and your Coaches sort it out please!
And please sign either a full back or winger to play down the right to provide some sort of attacking threat down there. All our attacks seem to break down once Lasse runs out of ideas when he gets over the half way line.

One other point from todays match is perhaps to highlight the things we still need to put right. Starting to get a lot of things right now but our corners and deadball play is still very poor, would have thought that was painfully obvious by now. We load the box up for corners then usually fail to beat the first man. Come on Skoobs you and your Coaches sort it out please!
And please sign either a full back or winger to play down the right to provide some sort of attacking threat down there. All our attacks seem to break down once Lasse runs out of ideas when he gets over the half way line.

Yep that is very evident so hopefully that’s another area that MS and the coaches will get right or at least cause teams problems.

Our corners are downright abysmal. No need for the other side to mark up in the box, just stick any player between the corner and near post!
How are men, paid to play football, so incapable of putting the ball into the box? It's so fucking frustrating 😤

A very sobering statistic from today's game Vs Posh.

The last time that they conceded a goal in a League game was against Northampton Town on...

wait for it...

Saturday...

19th AUGUST last year!

Amazing, eh?
That can't be right=- Shrewsbury scored against last week!

Live in the stadium was a good atmosphere today.

Good game against the best team we have played this season.

Not a lot of clear cut chances created by both sides but lots of good football played by both teams.

I personally think we would have won the game if we had more quality down the right hand side. We need someone with pace and can take players on and beat them. We worked multiple opportunities down the right but although Sorrenson gives 100% and works his socks off he just doesn't have that quality going forward.

As others have said we do need to start putting a few in the back of the net and registering a few 3 points on the board but you can't compare this team with Kennedy's team. Kennedy's team wouldn't of even got near Peterboroughs penalty box today and it would of been their attack versus our defence and we would of lost 3 nil.

It's work in progress but it's such a difference with two up top. They are still working out how each other play but that will only get better. Seems also to be a lot more intensity to our game and more aggression.

Hopefully we can add 1 or 2 this week before the window closes then we can concentrate on picking a settled team and working on the way we want the team to play in more detail.
100% agreed 👍

It's all falling into place.Patience is required
Absolutely right. Given that we have just played two of the top teams in the league and having spent half the season without a forward line, and the fact we have spent half the season playing defensively (because we had to) we have to be patient. The changes will not happen overnight but I am more than happy with the progress and the overall development of the team. I think it is very short-sighted to expect us to start scoring a hatful of goals and beating the top teams within two or three games, but the truth is - we came very close to winning the last two games. Before Christmas we wouldn’t have been anywhere near that level. Let’s see how February pans out before we start to judge Skubala and the team.

A very sobering statistic from today's game Vs Posh.

The last time that they failed to score a goal in a League game was against Northampton Town on...

wait for it...

Saturday...

19th AUGUST last year!

Amazing, eh?
I think you mean last time Peterborough had failed to score in a League game was 19th August 2023 against Northampton.

(I did, now amended. Thanks.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you mean last time Peterborough had failed to score in a League game was 19th August 2023 against Northampton.
Actually, that sounds more like it, plus they have been scoring an average of two a game (not sure if it’s this season or just in their recent form).