Managerial merry go round | Page 150 | Vital Football

Managerial merry go round

Just worth pointing out in addition to all the comments above that Oxford fans told us MA was a second season manager, or something along those lines. Charlton didn't give him that chance.

Just worth pointing out in addition to all the comments above that Oxford fans told us MA was a second season manager, or something along those lines. Charlton didn't give him that chance.

I think some of them are stuck in the 90’s/00’s and they think they should still be in the Premier League.

Not really surprising news is it ? It was coming.

He did ok at Oxford and for a few months here. Other than that he was a failure.
Hardly liked by fans and I can see why...
Perhaps being diagnosed with cancer had something to do with it?

This mindless revisionism is driving me mad. Just to recap on Appleton's achievements here:

** Club record for season tickets sold in the early bird window (4,000+ in 2020-21)

** Club record for goals scored in cup matches in a season (30) in 2020-21

** Club record away win in the League Cup (5-0 v Bradford City, 15/9/2020); it also equals the club record win in the League Cup home or away

** Joint club record for league wins from the start of a season (4 in 2020-21)

** Joint club record win in the Football League Trophy (4-0 v Accrington Stanley, 12/1/2021)

** Joint club record for away league wins in a season (13 in 2020-21)

** Club record for away wins in a Football League season (13 in 2020-21)

** Club record for successive away league wins in one season (6 in 2020-21)

** Club record for points away from home in a season (45 in 2020-21)

** Club record for points away from home in a Football League season (45 in 2020-21)

** Joint club record for fewest away defeats in a Football League season (4 in 2020-21)

** Highest league placing for 39 years (5th in the third tier)

** Best away record in League One in 2020-21 (P23 W13 D6 L4 F34 A20 Pts45)

** Remained in the top six in League One for the entire 2020-21 season on a bottom ten budget

** First ever appearance in the play-offs in the third tier (2020-21)

** First ever appearance in the play-off final in the third tier (2020-21)

** 100 goals in a season in all competitions for the 11th time in the club’s history (103 in 2020-21)

** Club record for away goals in all competitions in a season (52 in 2020-21)

** Joint club record for the number of games played in a season (61 in 2020-21)

This mindless revisionism is driving me mad. Just to recap on Appleton's achievements here:

** Club record for season tickets sold in the early bird window (4,000+ in 2020-21)

** Club record away win in the League Cup (5-0 v Bradford City, 15/9/2020); it also equals the club record win in the League Cup home or away

** Joint club record win in the Football League Trophy (4-0 v Accrington Stanley, 12/1/2021)

** Club record for points away from home in a Football League season (45 in 2020-21)

** Joint club record for fewest away defeats in a Football League season (4 in 2020-21)

** Remained in the top six in League One for the entire 2020-21 season on a bottom ten budget

** 100 goals in a season in all competitions for the 11th time in the club’s history (103 in 2020-21)

.....but apart from that???

.....but apart from that???

.....well after all that he started fcucking about at the back, which was the start of his downfall.

Nobody would deny he gave the club one fantastic season but unless he is winning football matches to keep the fans onside his personality and demeanor was about as dour as the football he eventually served up.

Yes he unfortunately had his health problems and he might have been a completely different character away from football but as a manager and a leader of a football club he was about as inspiring as a dead fish.

All very impressive and a brilliant season for us all to enjoy.
Sadly in football management what you achieved in your last season means nothing if you fail in your current one.
He lost his job because of season 2021-22. Despite what he did in 20-21.

God. He had one really good season which unfortunately wasn't crowned with promotion despite great opportunity. I appreciate that but he won nothing in the end.

As for his horrible illness it would be strange if that did not affect his life and pushed football aside.

You can't however use it as a reason for everything thst wasn't exactly as great as Brennan Johnson's performances for us. And I'm talking before and after MA spell at Lincoln too.

Atmosphere around the club wasn't nowhere near as good as under Cowleys and not only because of results in his final season. Don't forget club decided to part company with him. That is not revisionism. Just like certain things I didn't like.
His arrogance, singling out players, disrespectful behaviour towards some of them (Shackell ..), don't giving a damn about fans, self orientated interviews, inability to accept own mistakes, having terrible transfer window which had to be rectified in winter, silly comments about putting people ( fans...) to be fed by a straw and many more
Bottom line I'm happy we had that almost perfect season but I'm also happy that he left.
For me what's happened now at Charlton is not accidental....

God. He had one really good season which unfortunately wasn't crowned with promotion despite great opportunity. I appreciate that but he won nothing in the end.

As for his horrible illness it would be strange if that did not affect his life and pushed football aside.

You can't however use it as a reason for everything thst wasn't exactly as great as Brennan Johnson's performances for us. And I'm talking before and after MA spell at Lincoln too.

Atmosphere around the club wasn't nowhere near as good as under Cowleys and not only because of results in his final season. Don't forget club decided to part company with him. That is not revisionism. Just like certain things I didn't like.
His arrogance, singling out players, disrespectful behaviour towards some of them (Shackell ..), don't giving a damn about fans, self orientated interviews, inability to accept own mistakes, having terrible transfer window which had to be rectified in winter, silly comments about putting people ( fans...) to be fed by a straw and many more
Bottom line I'm happy we had that almost perfect season but I'm also happy that he left.
For me what's happened now at Charlton is not accidental....
So presumably on the basis that he won nothing and his last season was a bit meh, Keith Alexander was a failure too in your eyes?

That all relates to one season Scot. I have read no comments on here that denigrates the job he did in that season.

He did a superb job that year. Outside of the Taylor, Murphy, Alexander and Cowley years, a truly memorable year - even though we only saw most of it on screen.

However MA's record in every other season he has been a manager apart from that season and one at Oxford have been mediocre - and the supporters of every club he has been at were glad to see the back of him.

Were any fans at the time glad to see the back of Taylor, Murphy, Alexander or the Cowleys?

Appleton was not in the same league as any of those four, despite that one excellent season.

That all relates to one season Scot. I have read no comments on here that denigrates the job he did in that season.

He did a superb job that year. Outside of the Taylor, Murphy, Alexander and Cowley years, a truly memorable year - even though we only saw most of it on screen.

However MA's record in every other season he has been a manager apart from that season and one at Oxford have been mediocre - and the supporters of every club he has been at were glad to see the back of him.

Were any fans at the time glad to see the back of Taylor, Murphy, Alexander or the Cowleys?

Appleton was not in the same league as any of those four, despite that one excellent season.
Huddersfield and Portsmouth perhaps?

The national press and England perhaps?

The performances and final outcome in that one excellent season shows Appleton wasn't in the same league. He was in a higher one.

So presumably on the basis that he won nothing and his last season was a bit meh, Keith Alexander was a failure too in your eyes?
No. That is just your conclusion.

There might be countless number of reasons for which manager might not be the right man for the job.