Lathums v Simply Red (Latics v Utd) matchday thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

Lathums v Simply Red (Latics v Utd) matchday thread

First half it was really unfortunate with Thelos shot , lifting it we are 1-0 ... rest of the half we were on the back foot, thought Humphrys must be injured ?? Not in the game at all and body language poor .. lasted 10 mins in 2nd half but something wasn't right. Baba kept giving the ball away in dangerous areas constantly but we were getting high pressed by them which forced errors.
2nd half was much of a nothing except for Fernandes ridiculous penalty ...he should be ashamed and the referee also.
Ahh well Onward and Upward didn't expect anything from the game and the benefit of a learning experience for a lot of our youngsters will put us in good stead going forward.

Some good performances from Tickle, Godo who i thought was my MOM and I also thought J Smith done well when he come on...

Could not believe that they were talking about Ipswich and Tickle. If so we need a chunky sell on clause.

Pretty sure we’ll cash in on both if decent offers come in. Finances are in an even worse state than new owners thought when they came in at the 11th hour.

Yes there's a huge gulf between us n Utd but surely we don't sit SO deep n absolutely gift them acres of space whilst strolling into our half time & time again. Surely we could have put a tackle or 2 or 3 in, just to let them know they're in a game. Yes one of their players is worth more than the whole of our time but I'd have like a bit more fight from us.
All that said it was a lovely sight to see a full(ish) stadium and the atmosphere both inside and outside was fantastic...imagine how much that would have gone up if we could have put one or two of our chances away.
As to the cheating Portuguese twat....I hope he gets his comeuppance fairly soon...never a penalty.
I completely agree. Never a penalty in a month of Sundays. If some of our front players had matched the talent of Godo,we may have caused a surprise.

Gave a reasonable account of ourselves but fucking hell what a soft penalty decision.

Although we played with a distinct lack of urgency, damage limitations?

I think the lads walk away with their heads held high. A world class player feeling the need to cheat is the best compliment we could receive. Hughes, Thelo and Tickle have not done their futures any harm with their performances today. Adeeko and Shaw struggled, but you would expect the premier league team to dominate that central area, so they were always going to be in for a torrid time. Humps, as one of the experienced starters was a tad disappointing, but Clare and Sess both stood up to the responsibility. In fact, that was the best I've seen of Clare for weeks

I think the lads walk away with their heads held high. A world class player feeling the need to cheat is the best compliment we could receive. Hughes, Thelo and Tickle have not done their futures any harm with their performances today. Adeeko and Shaw struggled, but you would expect the premier league team to dominate that central area, so they were always going to be in for a torrid time. Humps, as one of the experienced starters was a tad disappointing, but Clare and Sess both stood up to the responsibility. In fact, that was the best I've seen of Clare for weeks

I'd have just liked a few more Callum Mac challenges just to let those soft gets know they'd been in a game.... Tickle undoubtedly saved us from a bigger defeat just a shame about some of his distribution.

Maybe our return of just two shots on target is excusable against a top 6 Greed League side but overall our front men looked like a mixed up mess. Once again it looked like a 4-2-4-0 with players at different stages played out of position. Couldn't say we played with anyone up top tonight. Godo on the right then on the left. Jones on the left then deeper on the left. Humphs totally out of position. Aasgard played well but to end all the attacking hope Magennis came on. We need to sort this attack out. Back four all put a great effort in but a game like that sorry is just unfair on a player like Adeeko.
Enjoyable night and to be fair to the few Reds in our end they were pretty decent but we did tell them to fuck off early doors and they couldn't believe that penalty decision.

I'd have just liked a few more Callum Mac challenges just to let those soft gets know they'd been in a game.... Tickle undoubtedly saved us from a bigger defeat just a shame about some of his distribution.
Exactly what I thought. We didn’t disgrace ourselves but we’re too soft and didn’t show anywhere near enough aggression. McManaman completely unsettled Garnacho after being on the field for about 30 seconds with the challenge he put in. Hopefully a few of our younger players can develop that aggressive side to their game. Hughes, Tickle and Aasgard gave a good account of themselves. Godo and Morrison also did well and their parent clubs will be thinking they could play at a higher level than league 1.

I think United were there for the taking tonight for one of the top sides in our league or a championship team. They were the dominant team which was expected, I think we made the game comfortable for them though by showing too much respect and standing off. I wasn’t really impressed by them apart from Mainoo and Garnacho. Rashford looks completely disinterested and Hojlund looks no better than some of the strikers we’ve face in league 1.

As for the penalty decision, I’ve just watched the pundits on TV saying it was a penalty having watched a slowed down replay. It was right in front of me and watching it live it’s the softest penalty I’ve ever seen. No way was there enough contact to warrant him going to ground, it was a blatant dive.

Thought some of his handling was ropey. Got lucky a few times. Mind you their keeper looked over weight and dodgy to.me. Overall we looked decent without threatening much. 2 or 3 nil was a fair result on the balance of play.

Grazed his toe - so arguably was. However he went down holding his shin then looked really embarrassed in the aftermath.
The ref looked apologetic as he was awarding it. No way would we have been given a penalty if one of our players had gone down like that at the other end.

Exactly what I thought. We didn’t disgrace ourselves but we’re too soft and didn’t show anywhere near enough aggression. McManaman completely unsettled Garnacho after being on the field for about 30 seconds with the challenge he put in. Hopefully a few of our younger players can develop that aggressive side to their game. Hughes, Tickle and Aasgard gave a good account of themselves. Godo and Morrison also did well and their parent clubs will be thinking they could play at a higher level than league 1.

I think United were there for the taking tonight for one of the top sides in our league or a championship team. They were the dominant team which was expected, I think we made the game comfortable for them though by showing too much respect and standing off. I wasn’t really impressed by them apart from Mainoo and Garnacho. Rashford looks completely disinterested and Hojlund looks no better than some of the strikers we’ve face in league 1.

As for the penalty decision, I’ve just watched the pundits on TV saying it was a penalty having watched a slowed down replay. It was right in front of me and watching it live it’s the softest penalty I’ve ever seen. No way was there enough contact to warrant him going to ground, it was a blatant dive.

Yep my thots too in that we stood off them for far too long & gifted them acres of space...such a shame we didn't test Johnny Evans as he looked a bit suspect on the odd time he was pressed....
Those Utd fans are delusional if they think that team will progress....Evans a liability, Rashford disinterested & Onana a cock up waiting to happen. Just wished we'd put at least one of our chances away & I still don't get this short corner shit....put it in the box & you just never know 🤔🤔

The ref looked apologetic as he was awarding it. No way would we have been given a penalty if one of our players had gone down like that at the other end.
Absolutely spot on....we'd have got bugger all from the Red tw@t...infact if we'd done that in their box our player would have been booked.