Thoughts on timing of any transfers | Vital Football

Thoughts on timing of any transfers

OneSirKeefy

Vital Football Hero
Across the leagues there seems to have been very few transfers announced in the first few days of the window. I honestly thought we’d have 1 maybe 2 already in the pipeline just waiting to be announced officially, but not to be.

When do you all think we might have some business done and announced?

This week?
When Brad is back in the country?
After the FA Cup game?
Just before next league game (Accy?)

Or will it be closer to deadline day “waiting for higher clubs to get their transfers done”.

I think with the cup game there's a little more leeway in going out and getting a player in. We could even be waiting to see the outcome of the Sheff Utd game before we dip our toe into the water - if we beat them and draw a massive club in round 4 then our budget will increase for this window.

Patience is a virtue.

Always frustrating when signings don’t come early, the earlier they are through the door the more chance to build relationships and fit into a system, but as joe says patience is key and signing the right players is of equal importance. I guess it all depends on who we are chasing. Early signings will generally be players out of favor similar to Nicholas last season and Dieng of Exeter who weren’t really getting a look in. If we are chasing a player like Kanu for example that will take time as he is important to that side, they may look for a replacement or be reluctant to let him go. Im hoping we will be rewarded with the right players swiftly but I don’t think it’s that simple.

I have never been able to understand why there is a delay in signing a target if it has been discussed with the other team and agreed before the transfer window has opened.

Maybe because the selling club thinks the buying club will panic when it comes close the end of the window and pay over the odds?

I used to think that if there is not a league game for a while, it would save paying the salary, but we know that players need to adapt to their new team, train with them, etc, in order to get up to speed. Some may not have played recently so will need to regain fitness. EDIT - I now see 93 has just covered that point.

I have never been able to understand why there is a delay in signing a target if it has been discussed with the other team and agreed before the transfer window has opened.

Maybe because the selling club thinks the buying club will panic when it comes close the end of the window and pay over the odds?

I used to think that if there is not a league game for a while, it would save paying the salary, but we know that players need to adapt to their new team, train with them, etc, in order to get up to speed. Some may not have played recently so will need to regain fitness. EDIT - I now see 93 has just covered that point.
By definition anyone looking for promotion in this division will want players that are able to play in a higher league.That fact of course will almost certainly mean we are fighting to sign players with teams with budgets often higher than us .The fact that we are also the wrong side of London often can mean geography can be against us too .I don't think it is any coincidence that the club have been chasing players from the south eastern corner of the country in the main I expect this to continue.So if anyone wants to look for potential targets I think apart from their position where they have brought up or lived could well be a good indication of weather we are interested.

Always frustrating when signings don’t come early, the earlier they are through the door the more chance to build relationships and fit into a system, but as joe says patience is key and signing the right players is of equal importance. I guess it all depends on who we are chasing. Early signings will generally be players out of favor similar to Nicholas last season and Dieng of Exeter who weren’t really getting a look in. If we are chasing a player like Kanu for example that will take time as he is important to that side, they may look for a replacement or be reluctant to let him go. Im hoping we will be rewarded with the right players swiftly but I don’t think it’s that simple.
I have only seen Kanu on tv and he was outshone by the centre forward but been sub for past 4-5 games.

I'm not sure if you're "allowed" to make an approach outside of the transfer window. And if so (of course) then no team would start any meaningful negotiations until the window opened. So it'll probably be a few days before the early ones start being announce 🤔😉

I've also read in a few places over the years that very little business is done over the January window. And what is done is at somewhat inflated prices anyway. So a financially savvy recruitment team would obviously do most of it's work at the end of the season

Across the leagues there seems to have been very few transfers announced in the first few days of the window. I honestly thought we’d have 1 maybe 2 already in the pipeline just waiting to be announced officially, but not to be.

When do you all think we might have some business done and announced?

This week?
When Brad is back in the country?
After the FA Cup game?
Just before next league game (Accy?)

Or will it be closer to deadline day “waiting for higher clubs to get their transfers done”.
I remember a very similar post from you Sir Keefy on August 1st, expecting that we had players lined up to be announced, but none were ?
A tad impatient perhaps?

I'm not sure if you're "allowed" to make an approach outside of the transfer window. And if so (of course) then no team would start any meaningful negotiations until the window opened. So it'll probably be a few days before the early ones start being announce 🤔😉

I've also read in a few places over the years that very little business is done over the January window. And what is done is at somewhat inflated prices anyway. So a financially savvy recruitment team would obviously do most of it's work at the end of the season
I’m sure Carlisle announced the signing of Harrogate striker Luke Armstrong some weeks back.

I’m sure Carlisle announced the signing of Harrogate striker Luke Armstrong some weeks back.
True. And that's an odd one because he was "signed" by Wrexham in the summer, only for the registration to be too late and therefore cancelled. So he stayed at Harrogate. Wonder if Carlisle were his "second choice" then?

True. And that's an odd one because he was "signed" by Wrexham in the summer, only for the registration to be too late and therefore cancelled. So he stayed at Harrogate. Wonder if Carlisle were his "second choice" then?
Doubt they could afford him before their new US owners came on board.

Worth checking out their cringey videos/content.

You can't make an approach direct to a player as that is "tapping up" but you can to a club, as they are the only entity that would report you anyway.

Nichols played our second league game of 2023 and Hawkins and Dieng played the second, with Lapslie on the bench. If negotiations had not even started until 1st January, that is very quick negotiations and contract work.

That rarely happened under Scally or at many other clubs, though.

Nichols played our second league game of 2023 and Hawkins and Dieng played the second, with Lapslie on the bench. If negotiations had not even started until 1st January, that is very quick negotiations and contract work.

Nichols was announced by Brad on 28th December. Given fees were required for a lot of the January signings I imagine negotiations started in the week before the takeover was officially announced by Brad and Shannon.

Big difference last year is that we were desperate for wholesale changes all over the pitch. This year we’re in a more relaxed tweaking mode (I’m confident we’ll stay up even if we sign nobody).

There are no rules about talking to agents outside of transfer windows.

My hunch is not to distract from cup preparation. Hopefully some action next week when the Galinsons are back.

Twelve months ago, we had only signed Tom Nichols, nearly all of our signings happened from the 12th until the end of the window.

There are no rules about talking to agents outside of transfer windows.
Doubt if "talking" to anyone "unofficially" could be regulated. Which is why it obviously goes on 😁

But, I must admit I'd missed this article. And I don't understand how or if it's really going to cause any "trickle down" disruption 🙄

ASAP. The Club hierarchy has acknowledged that attacking reinforcement is required (BG: "we are dealing with it"). So the "search" has been underway for a while.

We can either stand back, watch transactions (elsewhere) unfold and look for "what`s left" or a bargain gamble. Did that happen back in the summer ? Who knows ?

Or, drive the search and concentrate efforts on securing some first-choice candidates. That costs, so would be dependent on how much GFC wants promotion in 23/24. Being both pragmatic and hopeful, there has to be a strong possibility that it`s the latter. If so, shouldn`t we be getting it done early into the window ?

IF we are close to budgets because of FFP then getting 1 or 2 out first may be the issue.

I'm pretty sure Williams will be paid off early or leave via subsidised wages.

Then A N Other. I still think another midfielder needs to go (with Williams snr).

Get Walker off the payroll by loan or payoff and things start clearing. There's definitely some deadwood.

I remember a very similar post from you Sir Keefy on August 1st, expecting that we had players lined up to be announced, but none were ?
A tad impatient perhaps?

On Aug 1st for the Jan window?? I was impatient wasn’t I ? 😂

If it was Aug 1st for last summers window, surely that just about the end of the window isn’t it?