Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town | Page 18 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Northampton Town

Turned to my lad and said that's one of the best goals I've seen at our place for such a long time. Reminded me of Norton-Cuffy's one against Wednesday a while back. Love us to play like that even in short periods

Remember only last April, Shodipo scored a cracking counter attacking goal at Plymouth.
It was 8 months ago I grant you. 8 months is a bloody long time in football.
But just saying.

Unfortunately the second goal for Cambridge displayed everything that we haven't got at the moment.
Breaking at pace with plenty of support. Neat and clever passing and a quality finish. Game over.
Plus it came from another pointless Adelukan long throw.
Could we have scored that type of goal at the moment? I very much doubt it.
Do you mean our 2nd goal at Cambridge…..

Struggling to see a pattern of play at the moment. Players out of position, too many defenders on the pitch , players looking confused. The manager/ coaches job is to maximise what we have, as individuals and as a team, getting the most out of what we have,and no-one can suggest that is currently working. I get the backs to the wall stuff , trying to stay in the game,when we play Bolton or Derby, but not Northampton or say Burton at home. For too long we have been ultra passive , particularly at Sincil Bank.
I still think we should be doing better with the players we have. That is down to coaching. Kennedy, Shaw and Skubala. It is far too early to judge Skubala, although I see plenty of comments writing him off. The pressure is on though. Blackpool away, no points. Wycombe away, a draw if we are lucky. Then it's Derby and Pish at the Bank. That looks to me like one point from seven, before the fixture list gets a bit kinder.
Hackett, Moylan, Draper, a loanee or two, can they turn the tide? The jury is out. I do want a coach to deliver on promises though. I can accept defeats, but I do want some bravery, some trickery, cohesion. Hopefully after the Blackpool game snd 12 days with no game,Skubala can finally show us his worth as a coach. I sense in his interviews that he is not happy with what we are showing on the pitch. The reverse of Kennedy who always pretended that we were outstanding. We've not had that bullshit from Skubala. It's time to deliver, Michael. Rant over

Not sure if it has been mentioned but I thought their second goal was exquisite. The fine upland green pastures of Sincil Bank seemed to open up, with a number of their players breaking at pace, something we can only aspire to.

I said last night on here what a very good well worked goal it was.

Incisive one touch passing and a great strike.

Something we could only dream about at the minute.

I’ve recently taken up crocheting. Sitting quietly in my seat I can happily ignore everything going on around me whilst creating another artistic masterpiece.
You should all try it.

Any supporters who travel to Blackpool on New Years Day after recent performances deserve some sort of medal to be honest!
Not really sure it's like that- were it not for prior commitments, I'd be there but Wycombe, Vale, Burton etc all lined up. If I only watched Lincoln to be entertained I'd have stopped decades ago!

Not really sure it's like that- were it not for prior commitments, I'd be there but Wycombe, Vale, Burton etc all lined up. If I only watched Lincoln to be entertained I'd have stopped decades ago!
It might not be like that for some people but it definitely can be for me. It's not solely entertainment but there's only so much I can enjoy travelling in hope rather than any expectation. I know there's a hardcore who'd go every week in any circumstances but I am still on the fence as to whether to spend my new year's day in Blackpool.

Clearly there is some level of effect of performance on attendances.

Unfortunately the second goal for Cambridge displayed everything that we haven't got at the moment.
Breaking at pace with plenty of support. Neat and clever passing and a quality finish. Game over.
Cambridge?

It might not be like that for some people but it definitely can be for me. It's not solely entertainment but there's only so much I can enjoy travelling in hope rather than any expectation. I know there's a hardcore who'd go every week in any circumstances but I am still on the fence as to whether to spend my new year's day in Blackpool.

Clearly there is some level of effect of performance on attendances.
Blackpool is bad enough, no way would I compound it by watching us too!

Thought we won 3-0 at Cambs

Will be setting off in a couple of hours. Merthyr clearly has more dedication to the cause than I do.
I wanted to allow a bit of time to see the Lincoln Christmas lights!

Actually, I set off in time to arrive in Lincoln at around 2.30pm so as to visit an invalid friend - if I'd just been going to the match I could have had a much later start.

Apart from a dreadful run of injuries to key players which we all know about, we have a new head Coach and his number 2 with less than double figure experience of being in charge of an EFL side. I was surprised when Shaw was appointed as the number 2, MS needs someone with EFL experience at his shoulder to draw on when things get dodgy, like now. To expect Draper with only Div 2 experience, and Moylan to instantly dig ourselves out of this hole is not realistic imo, we maybe 9th / 10th now, a false position anyway, but our form must be bottom 4/5 . I didn't have the enthusiasm last night to drive 200 miles for what may have been on offer, a wise decision as it turned out, I just want us to play and press like the 'home' team for once, surely that is not asking too much, and get bums off seats. So frustrating. I went to the Cambridge away game a few weeks back , and was impressed what I saw, high intensity, high press, fighting to get the ball back, energy, and attacking into the 90th minute. Where has all that gone ?
I am sure we all hope the 'window' brings us some hope of better times which we certainly need. Just hope Blackpool are 'on the beach' on New Years Day !
UTI.

Well, got home late this afternoon and I've watched some of the match back and read the report but not yet had the pleasure(?) of reading through this or any other threads. So rather after the fact, but here's some of my thoughts.

Between their two goals we were dreadful - non-existent in midfield, and apart from the back three only Adelakun and to an extent Sorensen were doing anything. Before Northampton's first goal we were little better, and although it was thanks to a Jensen error it was not unexpected when they took the lead. After their second goal we made a fight of it and maybe the change to 4-4-2 when Burroughs went off is a sign of things to come? Quickly getting a goal back made all the difference and Northampton began to look jittery. We began to attack then and even with ten men as we threw men forward it made the last 30+ minutes a much better watch and sent me for one away in better spirits.

I couldn't tell about the sending off - all I saw was that O'Connor initially was amazed that even a free kick had been given.

Adelakun was man of the match for me - not sure if you could criticise him for the second goal, but apart from that he was the only player who looked like scoring and was a big improvement on Makama/Vale in that position in recent games.

Surely Vale will be going back in January as it now appears he is third choice behind Adelakun and Makama.

And I'd be there if (a) there was any public transport out of here on New Years Day, and (b) it wasn't too far for a day trip anyway.

If I only watched Lincoln to be entertained I'd have stopped in 1965.