The Official Wrexham Match Thread (Sponsored by Brad Galinson "for all North American ownership needs") | Page 7 | Vital Football

The Official Wrexham Match Thread (Sponsored by Brad Galinson "for all North American ownership needs")

I'm of the opinion that we wouldn't have got any more out of the games we've played since Harris went if he'd still been here.

Clemence has now had a couple of chances to see first hand what he's inherited.

His work starts now. Hopefully he'll be able to make something happen before January but at least by then he'll know what's missing and will have a chance to get what he needs in.

I totally agree. It will take him half a dozen games to work out what needs changing and whether we have it in the squad to make the changes needed.

What is frustrating is that our starting 11 is the same 11 under Millen, which was the same as the usual 11 under Harris.

Playing one up doesn't work for us it would seem. Let's play 2 up and 1 behind and get on the front foot.

Clarke has looked better so far as an impact sub rather than a starter and Mahoney looks like he could play more centrally. So lets abandon the wide men and revert to a diamond in midfield and push our full backs 10 yards further forward as well.

We may not win but we might actually score some goals!

I'm of the opinion that we wouldn't have got any more out of the games we've played since Harris went if he'd still been here.

His work starts now. Hopefully he'll be able to make something happen before January but at least by then he'll know what's missing and will have a chance to get what he needs in.

Based on Harris record id say wed have more points than we have now. Millen made us more open and the defence went to pot at times and barely scored anymore goals if at all.

Harris was a mile better than Millen.

I thought we kept the ball better today and at times played neatly in tight areas but it was a familiar story when attacking, not enough movement or options in advanced areas so a tendency to play a sideways pass. Williams caught my eye and was always looking to make things happen. The performance wasn’t bad, it just didn’t have any substance, and it’s another disappointing result. I am again baffled at how a side can create so little I was hopeful that at the very least today we would see some more attacking intent.

Yep. Interesting that most of Harris' biggest supporters are those that don't go or rarely go.

Still playing as if under Harris. Clemence has a lot of work to do.

Our play in their half has been knock it around slowly then kick it out of play
Both teams for me had the same game plan. Boring, pointless passing across the back line then when nothing happened, pump it long. Difference is that Wrexham had a 6ft 4 carthorse up top who won most things and our own version is scratching his arse.

I’m of the opinion that Harris would have played two defensive midfielders and ground out at least a draw.
This season is now a write off.
We were in contention and now we’re not.
That’s a simple fact, not opinion

I’m of the opinion that Harris would have played two defensive midfielders and ground out at least a draw.
I agree with all of that. Football under Harris was dire, but as he used to say we found ways to get results. There was a way of playing and the players understood it. Now it’s just a mess. It’s going to take Clemence until at least Christmas to have significant influence. The decision to sack Harris without a firm plan in place means that this season probably has to be written off. Strategic error by the club’s decision makers.

Both teams for me had the same game plan. Boring, pointless passing across the back line then when nothing happened, pump it long. Difference is that Wrexham had a 6ft 4 carthorse up top who won most things and our own version is scratching his arse.
I felt Wrexham had more zip about them in the final third. Good example being their second goal which was very well made, another example Elliot Lee giving Nichols the run around out wide late on, they just had more positivity and intent whereas gills was slow sideways passing, short pass forward, pass it back (under pressure), then pump it long (usually out of play for goal kick).

I have a bad feeling about Clemence, have not been impressed with any of his interviews so far, just hope his reputation as a good training ground coach translates to improving the team on matchdays.

It doesn't matter now, but although I think we would have had more points now if we had stuck with NH (judging by his 2023 record and 19 points from 11 games this season), both he and his successors have been hampered by the injuries to Hawkins and latterly Nadesan, so maybe not.

It is pointless keep on saying we should play 2 up when we do not have two fit senior strikers. If Nichols is really fit, why is he not starting? In any case, I would not call him an out and out striker.

If we went back to a more direct style, I could see a fit Hawkins doing wonders for Bonne's game.

As the days go by, I can imagine BG now directing his heat on PS, KJ or whoever else is advising him as I would guess that BG was told that NH was the problem, and removing him would solve things without chucking away this seasons' prospects.

As Eager Exile suggests, a lot of our problems stem from poor recruitment during the pre-season.

Realise i`m repeating myself, (don`t believe i`m alone in thinking this, btw) but we simply are nowhere near good enough up front. It was the case on opening day and remains just as much of a concern today. Teams without a productive front line rarely, if ever, get promoted.

In the absence of an effective striker/front man, I don`t understand why we repeatedly fail to play Jonny Williams AND George Lapslie from the off. Their smarts and industry would, at least, create chances for the likes of Jayden Clarke and Jeffries etc to run onto.

At least we have a window in January, to add to our strike force and make a bid for a top seven berth.

As an aside, I watched Dipo Akinyemi play this afternoon (for York City at Fylde). His sheer strength in the penalty area led directly to a York goal. Whilst it was only one game, from what I saw, i`d prefer Akinyemi over our current #9.

Comments from Phil Parkinson:

"Very pleased. I thought it was a strong, professional performance.

"With a manager leaving and a new manager coming in at Gillingham, there's always that chance of a lift so it was always going to be a potentially tricky game.

"But I think over 90 minutes we restricted them to very little and got the two important goals.!

It's simple stuff that we're not doing that is frustrating and costing us. For whatever reason (not just today) we have no urgency to try to stop crosses coming in to the box. If you the don't defend properly or are switched on you'll get punished. To concede such a goal as today after a minute, when you're supposed to be most focused is a real concern

I feel a bit for Bonne, he's doing a thankless task playing one up top frequently leaves him battling against two defenders when the ball goes up to him and allows one of there defenders to step out when they have the ball. Also it means there midfielders have very little defensive concerns so they can focus on the offensive side. The fact that when we're so deep there is so far to travel with the ball so when we do get it it means there's such big gaps between our three units.

The mentality of this group is shot too once we go behind. No character, no belief, no leadership and drive to get back into it.

There is plenty to work on and I genuinely don't see us being anything other than mid table with this group of players.

Based on Harris record id say wed have more points than we have now. Millen made us more open and the defence went to pot at times and barely scored anymore goals if at all.

Harris was a mile better than Millen.
I think the point really is Anton, that most clubs change management when they are struggling and usually near the bottom.
Remember how dire we were before Harris came in.
The only way was up, and if things didn’t improve, at least they could not get worse.
In this instance, we were actually doing well when we inexplicably changed manager.
So, probably the best a new guy could do was to retain the status quo.
I must admit that if we don’t turn it around quickly and get back into the mix, Clemence might not see the season out.
Brad promised a new direction.
If the manager can’t deliver, he’ll be gone.
Salford is now a huge match for him.

I must admit that if we don’t turn it around quickly and get back into the mix, Clemence might not see the season out.

Are you for real? This current group of players look bereft of confidence, belief without anything tactical. NH seems to have drilled into them that the first goal is a killer and the end.

Clemence needs not only time but players able to play his way. This current group this season ha e struggled to play NH way even though that was what they were brought in to do.

"This season is now a write off" How stupid can you be? Two points off a play off spot when we've still got 29 games to go. When SC gets the players in that he wants in January I'd be looking for an automatic spot!

Are you for real? This current group of players look bereft of confidence, belief without anything tactical. NH seems to have drilled into them that the first goal is a killer and the end.

Clemence needs not only time but players able to play his way. This current group this season ha e struggled to play NH way even though that was what they were brought in to do.
He was bought in as a coach to coach and improve the current squad not a different one.

I think the point really is Anton, that most clubs change management when they are struggling and usually near the bottom.
Remember how dire we were before Harris came in.
The only way was up, and if things didn’t improve, at least they could not get worse.
In this instance, we were actually doing well when we inexplicably changed manager.
So, probably the best a new guy could do was to retain the status quo.
Whoa. One league game against Wrexham. Give the guy a chance