Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion | Page 72 | Vital Football

Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you're Ireland manager at a press conference announcing your squad, I don't think you could say its actually crap being Ireland manager and I can't wait to manage in league one.

Not sure it tells us a lot though other than he was basically asked about our job by a journo and didn't immediately quash it so it's not comprehensively ruled out 😂
Getting a mention in an international press conference is a sign of the steps taken since (insert preferred low point here)

In fairness to Kenny he has the weakest squad of players to choose from that Ireland have had for a number of years. The days of Jack Charlton are long past when players with dual nationality would choose to play for Ireland.
Both Jack Grealish and Declan Rice fall into that category i believe and for obvious reasons chose to play for England. So very hard to judge him on his record at Ireland, some of his current squad would struggle to get into the Imps team.

Comparable players to Wales , Scotland and Northern Ireland by the looks of it.
I'd probably not say Scotland - so few Ireland players are at the top level whereas the Scottish team has plenty of top league regulars (Robertson, McGinn, Tierney, even McTominay or Hickey - 6 prem players in their last qualifier).

There's a good comparison in this article, https://punditarena.com/football/ro...ehind-stephen-kennys-divisive-ireland-tenure/ - slightly fawning over Kenny in general, but when Ireland played Scotland last year they went to Hampden with 3 prem players, 7 championship players and 1 League One Player. Scotland had 7 Premier League, 1 Serie A, 1 Championship and 2 SPL players.

I think Ireland are a bit further away in development than Scotland - and I'd argue three teams (Holland/France/Greece) are better than Ireland at the moment as opposed to just one (Spain) better than Scotland in Scotland's qualifying group.

Last edited:
In some corners we are writing off someone who hasn’t got the job yet. Give whoever the new Head Coach is a chance.

I have no say in this process so will leave it to those who have pumped significant investment into the club and positioned it to where we can potentially fish in a different pond. Be careful what you wish for, we couldn’t be in better hands.

Exciting times, whoever gets the gig will have my support with the caveat, that is, if you state you are going to get bums off seats with exciting football - make sure it happens !!

In some corners we are writing off someone who hasn’t got the job yet. Give whoever the new Head Coach is a chance.

I have no say in this process so will leave it to those who have pumped significant investment into the club and positioned it to where we can potentially fish in a different pond. Be careful what you wish for, we couldn’t be in better hands.

Exciting times, whoever gets the gig will have my support with the caveat, that is, if you state you are going to get bums off seats with exciting football - make sure it happens !!
Kennedy did get my bum off my seat a few times but was to leave early not through exciting football

F*** that! If their name isn’t Danny Cowley my Season Ticket is going straight in the bin (I’d need to go and fetch it out of there first though after my last tantrum post-Burton). I WANT A FIST PUMP!

If the cowleys came back and for whatever awful reason we ended up in a worse position than we started would you still want a fist pump then?

What they did for the club was amazing look at the infrastructure that has been put in since but leave it where it is. Would you go back to an ex?

If the cowleys came back and for whatever awful reason we ended up in a worse position than we started would you still want a fist pump then?

What they did for the club was amazing look at the infrastructure that has been put in since but leave it where it is. Would you go back to an ex?
I think Mr Ainsworth7 was saying this tongue in cheek.
As you say, yes the infrastructure at LCFC is now way beyond from when the Cowleys left. In return I would say the Cowleys will have progressed and matured too. Working at different clubs. Looking at new approaches. Improving their coaching CV.

No experience outside of Ireland apart from a fairly unsuccessful short spell at Dunfermline in Scotland.

A huge gamble if he gets the job.
He was chased out of Dunfermline by a mob wielding burning torches and pitchforks. Not quite, but almost.

But don't forget that it was the Cowley success years that produced the finance and ambition to create that infrastructure.

They never got a chance with work within that infrastructure as the huge "transfer fee" paid by Huddersfield for their services helped pay for much of it after they left.

I would love for them to continue the growth that they were the catalyst for.

When you're Ireland manager at a press conference announcing your squad, I don't think you could say its actually crap being Ireland manager and I can't wait to manage in league one.

Not sure it tells us a lot though other than he was basically asked about our job by a journo and didn't immediately quash it so it's not comprehensively ruled out 😂
Worked out well for the Spanish manager before the World Cup; his career has gone splendidly ever since. Now known the World over as the ex-Wolverhampton Wanderers manager with a -10 goal difference during his tenure.

Status
Not open for further replies.