MATCH THREAD - Luton vs Spurs - 7 Oct @ 0630 US CST | Page 16 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD - Luton vs Spurs - 7 Oct @ 0630 US CST

That's why we need to back Ange with a quality striker in the January window. I know it's not the best time to buy but if it had the potential to be the difference between finishing in or out of the top 4 it would be worth it.
Toney will be available in January and is training.

Or try to finally land Dybala. Can play up front and can also cover Madders

We won, but it illustrates a lack of ruthlessness to put a game to bed. It's what separates Citeh from the rest.
My point was that all teams have games like yesterday when expectations are often in excess of what actually happens when playing supposedly “lesser teams” as was typified against Sheffield United just a couple of weeks ago. Chances get missed, supporters get frustrated repeat and go again but hopefully we have a Burnley outcome however, more often then not it is more like the Luton and Sheffield games with just an odd goal being the differenc.

As for Man City they aren’t ruthless every game, Wolves just last wee, and often waste opportunities because of their excessive desire to pass, pass, pass.

All that said a quality striker can make life much easier and unfortunately Richi is proving he’s not the man and it’s a pity we didn’t get Toney in when Pleat recommended him some seasons back.

My take:

Shit ain't always going to go as planned. Can you get the result when nothing is working and shit hits the fan...Biss going full stupid....Rich can't hit water if he fell out of a boat....LOL

**Yeah and it helps having a tad bit of luck too...

Bottom Line - We got the win...we finished with ONE moment of class from Madds.

Get the 3 points and move on.

AP knows this team isn't the finished product yet...it is the start...and we are WAY ahead of where we should be. Seriously...NOBODY expected this...this early.

We are riding our luck for now and getting results which is good. We need to hang on until January and hopefully bring in help in key areas. And don't forget we have help coming that we already have...Bents is almost back!!! Gil (who I think will thrive in this system is back)...the young lad that has come on late at forward look lively....BJ looks the real deal!!

This is a young team learning how to win again and to be honest...learning how to play football again after our merry-go-round of managers destroyed it.
I think my motto under my posts fit perfect with what AP is doing:

Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and forthright will gather round you.

My point was that all teams have games like yesterday when expectations are often in excess of what actually happens when playing supposedly “lesser teams” as was typified against Sheffield United just a couple of weeks ago. Chances get missed, supporters get frustrated repeat and go again but hopefully we have a Burnley outcome however, more often then not it is more like the Luton and Sheffield games with just an odd goal being the differenc.

As for Man City they aren’t ruthless every game, Wolves just last wee, and often waste opportunities because of their excessive desire to pass, pass, pass.

All that said a quality striker can make life much easier and unfortunately Richi is proving he’s not the man and it’s a pity we didn’t get Toney in when Pleat recommended him some seasons back.
Our chance conversion ratio to attempts made is low. I think Ex pointed this out in one of the performance threads as an area of our game we can improve, as it is one of the weak areas of our performance metrics.

If we were to spend a wodge of cash on an orthodox number 9 like Toney (or any other player) what would that mean for Sonny in the central role? Would he revert to the left and become an occasional number 9 backup like he was for Kane?

He's revelling in the role when he's given any space but struggling against the rugged teams that sit deep and defend for 90 minutes (Luton, Sheffield Utd etc.). There's probably more of the former than the latter in the PL though, so over the course of the season wouldn't the central position be the best one for him and the team?

A new number 9 would also block the path for Veliz. Right now he's in the right position to be introduced gradually as Son's understudy.

Maybe the money would be better spent on a goalscoring left-sided attacker to replace Richarlison?

Our chance conversion ratio to attempts made is low. I think Ex pointed this out in one of the performance threads as an area of our game we can improve, as it is one of the weak areas of our performance metrics.

It's looking better; we now lead the shots on goal league (157) - prior to the last games of today, and have scored 18 times..
Three other clubs have scored more than us with less shots. Liverpool, Newcastle, Villa, Brighton

(As of now, before the last game of the day)..

Our conversion rate for shots on goal to scored is 11.76%, the lowest of the clubs mentioned above, but higher than the rest of the PL, so we do have room for improvement.

If we were to spend a wodge of cash on an orthodox number 9 like Toney (or any other player) what would that mean for Sonny in the central role? Would he revert to the left and become an occasional number 9 backup like he was for Kane?

He's revelling in the role when he's given any space but struggling against the rugged teams that sit deep and defend for 90 minutes (Luton, Sheffield Utd etc.). There's probably more of the former than the latter in the PL though, so over the course of the season wouldn't the central position be the best one for him and the team?

A new number 9 would also block the path for Veliz. Right now he's in the right position to be introduced gradually as Son's understudy.

Maybe the money would be better spent on a goalscoring left-sided attacker to replace Richarlison?

IF Veliz can show that the internal confidence coming from the club is justified, he could well be the 'alt' to play against teams like Luton in that starting no.9 position, but he's young and I'm told a tad wet behind the ears, only minutes on the pitch can ultimately tell us how much he is yet to mature, and if the internal hype is justified. I pray it is. What a wonderful way to step up and start winning a no.9 role that would be for us.

We may need to / owe Richarleson an apology, did anyone else know that he was pulled back when that chance was offered to him?

I certainly didn't see at the time, I will rewatch the recording again now!

This is exactly what VAR should be used for, even if it was the deterrent that killed some of these dark arts. Players would definitely think twice if the referee was going to get a heads up that they just cheated.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...glou-proving-secret-to-success-not-all-money/

Ange Postecoglou proving the secret to success is not all big-money buys​

Much to the delight of Tottenham Chairman Daniel Levy, the club are flourishing again under their new manager
By Jim White 8 October 2023 • 4:08pm
Among the celebrating Tottenham fans at Kenilworth Road on Saturday lunchtime, there was no doubt who the broadest grin belonged to.
Up in the directors’ box at the final whistle, Daniel Levy looked happier than a five-year-old at their birthday party. And he has much cause to be delighted.
Over the summer, after letting Harry Kane leave, he was public enemy No 1 among Spurs fans, who reckoned the chairman’s lack of ambition was stifling their club. But Saturday’s win at Luton, that took Spurs top of the table, was indicative of the manner in which the entire atmosphere around the club has changed. Suddenly, in the glowing autumnal light, everything looks rosy. More to the point for the delighted Levy, he is no longer at the centre of scrutiny.
And the one person he should thank is the manager he brought down from Celtic. Immediately after this victory, Ange Postecoglou did his best to play down Spurs’ title credentials (“look, it’s only October”).
Advertisement

But the transformation he has wrought was in evidence everywhere. After last season’s state of perpetual crisis under Antonio Conte, this is a Spurs team which looks organised, resolute, together, able to acquire three points despite being a man down for more than half the match.
There were many Spurs fans disappointed by the additions over the summer. The likes of Micky van de Ven, Destiny Udogie, Guglielmo Vicario and James Maddison were not the headline acts they wanted to see brought in to replace their long standing hero.

But while other clubs have forked out many millions and still show little sign of cohesion (mentioning no names, Manchester United) Spurs’ recruitment looks shrewd indeed. All four were magnificent at Luton, Maddison especially doing much to console those supporters still mourning the departure of Kane. The grin he wore when trotting back to the halfway line after brilliantly setting up Van de Ven for the game’s only goal will have particularly cheered every Tottenham follower. It was a smile that said this is a player loving every minute playing for the club. Which is not something that was much in evidence last season.
More to the point, Postecoglou seems to have transformed the players he inherited. Cristian Romero, so often under Conte playing like a volcano about to erupt, was simply superb. Controlled, dynamic, disciplined, it was not hard to see what Lionel Messi was talking about when he called him the best defender in the world. “Not a bad judge of football, is he?” said the Spurs manager of Messi when that assessment was put to him.
Pape Sarr, who Conte apparently did not realise played for the club, has been another suddenly rediscovered. As is Yves Bissouma. It was not his finest hour, dismissed after a second yellow accrued for a comically theatrical dive just before half time. But the very fact he drew the card right on the edge of the Luton penalty area was indicative of the new direction. Under Conte, no Spurs midfielder was encouraged to move further than the halfway line. Once there, they were obliged always to pass the ball sideways. Under Postecoglou, Bissouma always looks to drive forward. And does so with constant venom.
For sure, the manager is more than aware there is much to do if Spurs are to maintain their elevated status in the table. The profligacy in the first half, when 12 shots were registered, all of which missed the target, cannot continue. And judging by the manager’s body language on the touchline as chances were spurned, he will be quickly addressing the issue.
But given the way the manager has resolved so much else that had gone awry at the club, you suspect it will not be long before his team scores a hatful. Right now it looks like the grin on Levy’s face is only going to widen.

A bit surprised how a number of fans just expect us to turn up at little old Luton and turn them over easily. I forecast 1-1 prior to the game so am delighted with a win and another 3 points. History of the Premiership tells us that away games at clubs fighting for survival are always difficult and over the years we had our struggles at places like Burnley, West Brom even Norwich but we have won, should be by a greater margin but it wasn’t so what?
A season is always a mixture of performances and all we can hope is when we struggle we still get the win, we did so let’s move on Fulham are next and hopefully another three points and repeat
Sheffield United shipped eight a week after losing to us by a single goal, Luton have already conceded four against Brighton and three versus Chelsea this season.
These are piss poor teams that have not managed to trouble our defence in any way. They have been spared from a thrashing however, Luton in particular, by what is becoming an obvious weakness for us, extremely poor finishing. Our ability to create chances has taken a massive step forward this season by virtue of the style of football adopted. Our ability to convert those chances has not.

Sheffield United shipped eight a week after losing to us by a single goal, Luton have already conceded four against Brighton and three versus Chelsea this season.
These are piss poor teams that have not managed to trouble our defence in any way. They have been spared from a thrashing however, Luton in particular, by what is becoming an obvious weakness for us, extremely poor finishing. Our ability to create chances has taken a massive step forward this season by virtue of the style of football adopted. Our ability to convert those chances has not.
That will come eventually but it is troubling. I'm far more confident in our ability to shut out games which has certainly helped mask our offensive shortcomings.

It was a potential weakness I'd previously highlighted before the season proper if we relied on Richi.

I suspect that Ange is already aware of the problem, hence his introduction of Veliz, a player who when bought was said to be for the future, not now.

It was a potential weakness I'd previously highlighted before the season proper if we relied on Richi.

I suspect that Ange is already aware of the problem, hence his introduction of Veliz, a player who when bought was said to be for the future, not now.
The irony is that we are top of the table by virtue of goals scored after Arsenal's win over City. Eighteen goals scored in eight games is a bloody good return, characterised by them being spread across the team. Looking back across the matches however, we have been so dominant so often, that 24 so far, three per game, wouldn't be undeserved.

There's different ways of looking at this.

Our conversion rate is lower but the number of chances we are creating is higher. We're scoring more goals per game even with a lower actual conversion rate.

Defensively we're much stronger so that combination will yield more points.

And we've scored more than City and Arsenal.

Richarlison is only in the team now due to injuries to Solomon and Johnson. He's not our main goalscorer, Son is. He'll be phased out completely soon.

Is there another club who could find so much to complain about whilst being top of the table? Lol.

Defensively we're much stronger so that combination will yield more points.
Hi Gary,
Just taking up your point above....I am not so sure. Without referring to stats or any metrics, just my observation, I think we are still suspect. Not only are we lucky scoring (or having decisions/deflections go our way), we are equally fortunate to have somehow not conceded as many!. In the game yesterday I spotted several times where the opponent received the ball in our box unchallenged or unmarked. It happens regularly during corners, high balls and long throws.....even crosses. We do throw bodies on the line!

IMO, the reason why the defence looks better is because through our front foot football, we are often camped near the centre line! Yes, pace often gets us out of trouble and we have several agile players able to sprint back for recovery, but the sustained pressure still makes me nervous. Also, thank goodness for Vic for doing all sorts of spiderman impressions to keep us in the games.

Like Ex, I too have continually voiced my concerns about the final 3rd problems. Even Sonny looked out of sorts yesterday. The most criticised forward (Kulu) turned out to be the most reliable v Luton!.

Incidently, I am delirious with where we are at such an early stage of Ange's tenure. I am sure he too can't believe how it's panned out so far. Work in progress. Plenty to fix/improve.

Last edited: