The Summer 2023 Transfer Thread | Page 314 | Vital Football

The Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

I wonder how much Ramsey release clause is?

You only have to look at Caicedo to see one good season in the prem turns you into a £100+ player so you'd have to imagine Burnley have covered themselves.

I'm gonna guess at 4 times what we sold him for so £56m.

Funny in this footballing generation where nobody plays with traditional get it to the by line and cross-it wingers that every forward player who is not a centre forwards gets tagged as a "winger"
Yeah, we don’t really play with classical wingers under Emery and frankly the archetypal winger doesn’t exist in football anymore.

I wonder how much Ramsey release clause is?

You only have to look at Caicedo to see one good season in the prem turns you into a £100+ player so you'd have to imagine Burnley have covered themselves.

I'm gonna guess at 4 times what we sold him for so £56m.
Based on zero knowledge I would reckon our buy back clause is something like £35m. But that's meaningless if he doesn't want to come back here.

Based on zero knowledge I would reckon our buy back clause is something like £35m. But that's meaningless if he doesn't want to come back here.

I think he'll always want to come back if he has a chance of being a first team player. He's a villa boy and his brothers are here.

I'm the same, I get the arguments financially for FFP, and I also get the argument that ultimately we have to trust Unai and the coaching team to be a better judge of player than us mere fans....

... However it still irks me. I like to think I know about football and having seen JPB and Archer in particular with my own eyes I don't think they are far off the level of Bailey and Watkins and at their age probably have more scope for improvement.

Also, it's fine saying the professionals should have a better judgement but it's not always the case. I was absolutely gutted and dumbfounded when we sold Cahill based on what I'd seen with my own eyes and I turned out to be right.

Think we atleast deserve to have an opinion. That's why we're on this forum.

Agree totally. When I was doing media and articles, I was always perfectly happy to know I was talking from an educated ignorance. What does that mean? Well, same as you, I know a good player, I understand football, BUT sometimes things within the club is the driving force to get rid of a player (they all cover up those sort of things)

But yes, with Cahill, it was just a shit decision and I'd got a good contact in the youth set up at the time and he said they had never been more demotivated, as he was the best 'product' that had come through.

Opinions, opinions bless 'em.

I have to respectfully disagree Deano. Very early on having seen JJ I posted on his thread that I thought this kid was definitely going to make it.

I've never felt the same about Archer and Ramsey Jr. Not saying they won't make it but I was sure JJ would.

Yeah, of course, we all get things right and wrong. But then, so do managers. It isn't an exact science, which is why we love it I reckon. If it was all about pure facts, there would be no forums with us all chewing the cud.

Perish the thought!

Archer is clearly a lot better than Watkins was at the same age, Watkins was pottering around at Exeter after all. Archer for me is better 'naturally' than Watkins but he is not yet near Watkins' level. Archer will develop a lot more with first team football than our bench.