Premier League Match Thread: Arsenal Vs Nottingham Forest, Sponsored by... Erm... Absolutely no one, again. | Page 20 | Vital Football

Premier League Match Thread: Arsenal Vs Nottingham Forest, Sponsored by... Erm... Absolutely no one, again.

Given the team we put out, I thought we acquitted ourselves well overall and the result is creditable even if it’s not quite positive.

My greatest cause for concern is a follow-on from last season where our ball retention is so poor that it makes it really difficult for us to have good spells in games, instead we’re almost immediately cycling from one defensive manoeuvre to another.

You can see this in their 2nd goal, yes, but it was arguably more costly after we scored. During that last 15 minutes or so, we surrendered the ball cheaply again and again and were unable to exert any pressure.

It’s fine being a counterattacking side, but we have got to be one of the worst teams in the league for unforced errors and it’s a huge problem for us especially against better sides.

There were still positives in the game. Turner actually impressed me with a couple of good saves, and I didn’t think he was in any way at fault for either goal. He didn’t strike me as being immediately worse than Henderson, and given the cumbersome back 3 ahead of him he kept everything in good order.

Aina looked okay as a utility man. Elanga and Awoniyi significantly improved us when they came on. If you think of those 2 as starters, with Niakhate and Felipe to come in, then maybe we don’t need as many signings as we hope. I know it was a different league and the pressures were different, but Aurier’s efforts against Martinelli really made me miss Spence.

Boly should be kept. You need a brain in a 3 man defence and he's effectively that. Getting rid would be borderline stupid
100% to that…and also Aurier and (I’m sorry) Yates, have zero premiership brain. Summed up by Yates giving away a brain dead free kick literally on their corner flag in the first few mins…

Given the team we put out, I thought we acquitted ourselves well overall and the result is creditable even if it’s not quite positive.

My greatest cause for concern is a follow-on from last season where our ball retention is so poor that it makes it really difficult for us to have good spells in games, instead we’re almost immediately cycling from one defensive manoeuvre to another.

You can see this in their 2nd goal, yes, but it was arguably more costly after we scored. During that last 15 minutes or so, we surrendered the ball cheaply again and again and were unable to exert any pressure.

It’s fine being a counterattacking side, but we have got to be one of the worst teams in the league for unforced errors and it’s a huge problem for us especially against better sides.

There were still positives in the game. Turner actually impressed me with a couple of good saves, and I didn’t think he was in any way at fault for either goal. He didn’t strike me as being immediately worse than Henderson, and given the cumbersome back 3 ahead of him he kept everything in good order.

Aina looked okay as a utility man. Elanga and Awoniyi significantly improved us when they came on. If you think of those 2 as starters, with Niakhate and Felipe to come in, then maybe we don’t need as many signings as we hope. I know it was a different league and the pressures were different, but Aurier’s efforts against Martinelli really made me miss Spence.

I love Yatesy to bits, but his ball retention and passing is woeful

Listened to post match comments re Brighton V Luton

Luton tried to play football but got beat 4-1. Shearer said they were incredibly naive thinking they could go toe to toe with Brighton at football and scoreline flattered them

By the time they realise they aren't good enough to play open football at this level it will probably be too late for them

I fancy us getting results away this season. Far more than 8 points for sure.

Look at Burnley as well losing 3-0 at home to Man City

2-1 away to Arsenal and them hanging on at the end shows we know what it takes to compete at this level

Took us most of last season to figure it out as well

We've still got fans on here and social media too naive to realise what it takes to compete with a chance of points at this level in our situation

Luckily our manager and players know what it takes

The first half was completely dreadful.
The same kind of tactics as we used against Man City at home last season. Hold on for dear life until 70 minutes then attack at any opportunity to try and sneak a goal.
At 2-0 we were always too far down to get a result, but the tactics pretty much played out as you would expect.
If anything this game highlighted the need for a striker. Brennan just isn't one in the slightest.

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

That’s pretty much the only points Citeh dropped for the rest of the season

Villa lost 5-1 to Newcastle - the same opening day fixture we only lost 2-0 last season.

Does this mean they're worse than us?

Does it mean they're going down this season?

Should their fans be worried?

Pope I want us to be this season Newcastle...it didn't take Newcastle more than six months to change from relegation fodder to a top six team..our torture season was last year, we had a summer to address our issues...its all about knowing how and from where to sign unpolished gems...its starting to look that from that aspect we are failing...hope I am proved wrong in the next three weeks... we wasted a summer chasing a keeper that from Turner's performance today, shows that we don't really need...
Looking forward for our next game...

IMG_8237.jpeg

Villa lost 5-1 to Newcastle - the same opening day fixture we only lost 2-0 last season.

Does this mean they're worse than us?

Does it mean they're going down this season?

Should their fans be worried?
It means they aren't good enough to go toe to toe with Newcastle

Fortunately we will play Newcastle already realising that

And won't be going toe to toe

We could also be the best team on the break in Premier League this season with the players we have and the experience we've gained

And our goal difference at end of season will be way better than last season

Last edited:
🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

That’s pretty much the only points Citeh dropped for the rest of the season
Yes I don't deny that its pretty effective against the top teams in terms of getting a result.
Its just dreadful to watch, and we're relying on the best players in the world not scoring too many goals while letting them have as much of the ball as they want, so there's an element of luck required.

I mean watching Forest bravely defending a 2-0 loss for half an hour isn't particularly interesting.