Summer Transfer Thread | Page 58 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Thread

We've got Lang, Humphreys, a now very fit Magennis and working hard to be fit Wyke, the latter being L1s top scorer in 20/21. And behind them Asgard et al.
Keane's took the 30 pieces of silver. Good riddance to him. He's not needed.

He scored more goals than the rest of the players you listed scored combined in each of the last 2 seasons.

Something like 65 goal contributions in 150 games is certainly needed and it's not good riddance- it's a big loss for us.

Kendrick said that Keane did put his notice in.

We clearly mustn't believe we've got much chance of winning a legal challenge if we accepted a nominal fee rather than challenging it.

Confirmation as to why the media team barely featured him on preseason, they knew he was going.

Last edited:

We clearly mustn't believe we've got much chance of winning a legal challenge if we accepted a nominal fee rather than letting him walk and taking legal action.

It would be daft to. We'd have expensive legal costs that would drag out and be paying wages for a player who wants to leave. PNE wouldn't want to be involved so would turn their focus elsewhere and both us and the player would be stuck in a very uncomfortable limbo. Unfortunately we're vulnerable for anyone willing to exploit

He scored more goals than the rest of the players you listed scored combined in each of the last 2 seasons.

Something like 65 goal contributions in 150 games is certainly needed and it's not good riddance- it's a big loss for us.
That's correct but the manner of his leaving is a good riddance from me.
It's not as if the position he's vacated will remain vacant. We'll have someone decent to take over and I believe we'll be fine. Many of his goals were penalties and again I believe we'll have a good replacement.
I trust Maloney will have it covered

I think we definitely could do with another striker. Preferably someonewho can hold the ball, Magennis is useless, we can't rely on Wyke to be fit all the time and Humphrys isnt that type.

Even if we don't intend to long ball it all the time you still need someone who can hold up play to allow you to push up the field and the midfielders can play off.

Probably looking at the loan market.

Lyle Taylor is free. He's 33 but I always thought he was a very good and on a 1 year deal he'd be worth it.

Think those dismissing Keane's efforts and acting like his goals are easily replaceable within the squad are in for a rude awakening.

Just looking at league goals only:

Magennis: 4 in 53 for Wigan.

Humphrys: 8 in 57 for Wigan and Hearts.

Wyke: 7 in 33 for Wigan.

Aasgaard: 7 in 79 for Wigan.

That's 26 goals in 222 combined league appearances - as many as Keane scored in the 21/22 season alone.

If scoring tap-ins was so simple they'd all have much better records. It isn't that easy.

Last edited:
Think those dismissing Keane's efforts and acting like his goals are easily replaceable within the squad are in for a rude awakening.

Just looking at league goals only...

If scoring tap-ins was so simple they'd all have much better records. It isn't that easy.
Disagree. I trust Maloney will sort it.
Keane was good for us and we were good to him but I'm not getting sentimental about a mediocre player who wanted to leave and has now gone.

Maloney had him out of the team towards the end of the season as I don't think he suits his style. He'll prefer a hard working striker who is interchangable in a front 3. The Richardson style allowed Keane the freedom to hover and find space in the box, but also resulted in many games that completely passed him by. His individual goal record will be missed, but if Maloney's system works then there's no reason we can't pick it up across the team.
So many players have passed through the door at Latics and that's the nature of football. Although he has every right to put himself first, I think taking advantage of a loophole, despite us now being under a new ownership group, is disrespectful and lacking in morality and class. Just because it's right for the industry doesn't mean it has to sit right with fans who live in the real world. At least the likes of Joe Garner were walking away from a team with an uncertain future.
Good luck to him. His career was on a slippery slope before joining us and we both did great things for each other. I hope he has actually found that talent he had as a youth, but it will depend how willing PNE are to allow him to do his own thing
Good post that

Maloney had him out of the team towards the end of the season as I don't think he suits his style. He'll prefer a hard working striker who is interchangable in a front 3. The Richardson style allowed Keane the freedom to hover and find space in the box, but also resulted in many games that completely passed him by. His individual goal record will be missed, but if Maloney's system works then there's no reason we can't pick it up across the team.
So many players have passed through the door at Latics and that's the nature of football. Although he has every right to put himself first, I think taking advantage of a loophole, despite us now being under a new ownership group, is disrespectful and lacking in morality and class. Just because it's right for the industry doesn't mean it has to sit right with fans who live in the real world. At least the likes of Joe Garner were walking away from a team with an uncertain future.
Good luck to him. His career was on a slippery slope before joining us and we both did great things for each other. I hope he has actually found that talent he had as a youth, but it will depend how willing PNE are to allow him to do his own thing
That's right he did drop him. Did a lot of good did that too. Sure we went down.

We clearly mustn't believe we've got much chance of winning a legal challenge if we accepted a nominal fee rather than challenging it.

Strange then that Preston boss claims they beat 4 other Championship clubs for his signature. May not have been quite so nominal after all, but as I've said before it's all conjecture.

Just looking at league goals only:

That's 26 goals in 222 combined league appearances - as many as Keane scored in the 21/22 season alone.

I've heard people on social media say all he did was tap ins as if it was a bad thing.

The skill of that is ensuring you get in the right place at the right time to lose your marker, stay onside and give your team mate the option to play you in.

As you say if it was easy every striker would have Keane's numbers.

Very sad how him (and probably Power) have left but can't really blame the player this is on previous ownership. If they weren't such cowboys the players wouldn't be able to hand in notice like they legally are entitled to.

Has anyone any idea how many actually put their notice in, and who they are?
If a player hands in his notice, once that notice period has elapsed, does that mean they are without a club, ie the club doesn't need to pay them?

Disagree. I trust Maloney will sort it.
Keane was good for us and we were good to him but I'm not getting sentimental about a mediocre player who wanted to leave and has now gone.

Again easier said than done in my opinion. Keane wasn’t exactly Nathan Ellington but I don’t really get some of the gleefulness I’ve seen at his departure either.

If 50 goals in three seasons is mediocre that doesn’t say much for the other 95% of strikers who’ve passed through this club’s doors over the decades.

I've heard people on social media say all he did was tap ins as if it was a bad thing.

The skill of that is ensuring you get in the right place at the right time to lose your marker, stay onside and give your team mate the option to play you in.

As you say if it was easy every striker would have Keane's numbers.

Very sad how him (and probably Power) have left but can't really blame the player this is on previous ownership. If they weren't such cowboys the players wouldn't be able to hand in notice like they legally are entitled to.

If the established strike-rates of the players I mentioned don’t go up next season we’ll be longing for the days of a player who could just score tap-ins that’s for sure.

This is a wake up call.wish the penny would Drop with some fans on here and on face book and Twitter. Maloney as been told to slash the wage bill. He wanted to keep Power He properly wanted to keep Keane. The two he wants to get off the books. He can’t.

Yeah, i get it. The club are getting punished for the last owners mis-management. But when will any wrong-doing be seen to have been paid for by the club and us the fans. Or will it go on until those players that were under contract at the time of "wages non payment" have seen out that particular contract. Will any disgruntled player at any time just be able to use this ruling and decide its time he had a change whenever it suits him?

If that be the case doesnt it clear the way for "if not illegal shenanigans" but somewhat dodgy enticement dealings by clubs and agents? And all of which may be going on whilst latics, or whichever club it may be in the future pay the player/s who have decided they want out whenever a suitable deal comes along.

Now knowing they will be be non-contract players and transfer windows wont hold them back they are free to go wherever and whenever they please. Who wouldn't be a footballer?

This is a wake up call.wish the penny would Drop with some fans on here and on face book and Twitter. Maloney as been told to slash the wage bill. He wanted to keep Power He properly wanted to keep Keane. The two he wants to get off the books. He can’t.
Exactly, and that is exactly why he has gone and why we should be cautious about expecting anything much more than survival this season. I am worried what the table will look like and the mountain we will have to climb by mid September.

Beware the Ellington Curse of leaving WAFC

That's a fair post and maybe it is and maybe you're right but we still have a club, and we're solvent, and that's the most important thing for me.
I watched us in the 80s and 90s. We're in a better position now in every way