The Ashley Young Thread | Page 20 | Vital Football

The Ashley Young Thread

I'd say with high probability that he has been released because we rightly see right back as a key position to improve. I fully expect a good quality right back to come in and Cash to be a squad player next season (or he might see Konsa as the choice for this position and therefore we will be bringing in a quality centre half). I don't understand why some posters have to default to a negative position on absolutely everything we do.
It's an expression of pure sentiment, not negativity. As fans we tend to think with our hearts. He's 38, slowing down and we want to progress. He's clearly not the future so the management have made a clear decision and not fcuk'd about. Good for Ashley, good for the club. I have no problem with the decision.

Thanks Ashley for everything you have done for the club in the last two seasons, you've been a credit to yourself and to Aston Villa Football Club.

It's an expression of pure sentiment, not negativity. As fans we tend to think with our hearts. He's 38, slowing down and we want to progress. He's clearly not the future so the management have made a clear decision and not fcuk'd about. Good for Ashley, good for the club. I have no problem with the decision.

Thanks Ashley for everything you have done for the club in the last two seasons, you've been a credit to yourself and to Aston Villa Football Club.
I don't think saying letting him go is being down to finances is an expression of sentiment to be honest.

Don't think it's anything to do with finance.

Really ?

I'm sure if young was prepared to play for free he would be kept around.

I think the club think his wages could be better spent elsewhere + FFP.

I don't think there is anyone doubting Young's ability to play a decent quota of games at this level.

Depends what people mean by finance dictating this decision.

Do we need to make it because its a tight financial situation at the club. Nope.

Does it make good financial sense to not re-contract a 38 year old to make a more sensible long term signing. Errrr.....yup.

Do we need to make it because its a tight financial situation at the club. Nope.

Does it make good financial sense to not re-contract a 38 year old to make a more sensible long term signing. Errrr.....yup.
Well we kept Micah Richards 5 years to be the dressing room clown at least Ash plays ;)

Well Nas and Wes are down to their last 5 billion each , so it's probably the former !!!!

It's been a remarkable "Indian summer" for Ashley and there might be a few bright days left for him elsewhere.
Does he qualify as a legend?

My own thoughts on Ashley are that his lack of pace had started to show as getting older finally caught up with him and this was being exploited by other teams who were targeting him at full-back.

He ended up using his experience to try and get himself out of trouble and into better positions.

Nevertheless, I was sorry to see him go as he was a good pro for the club and good at winding up the opposition.

Releasing him was the correct decision in my humble.

My own thoughts on Ashley are that his lack of pace had started to show as getting older finally caught up with him and this was being exploited by other teams who were targeting him at full-back.

He ended up using his experience to try and get himself out of trouble and into better positions.

Nevertheless, I was sorry to see him go as he was a good pro for the club and good at winding up the opposition.

Yes I think this is right and it was more noticeable towards the back end of the season, but I would also say that he performed better than Cash last season and therefore deserves full credit for that.

Right back is position we need to look at this summer.

Our greatest ever defender had no pace. Don't underestimate what experience can bring. While it was never a permanent solution. An option to see a game out and dare I say some shithousery was valuable last season using Young at times .

Our greatest ever defender had no pace. Don't underestimate what experience can bring. While it was never a permanent solution. An option to see a game out and dare I say some shithousery was valuable last season using Young at times .
That magic moment when he outmuscled the goal machine Viking.

Don't think it would have been a burden for him to have a squad place tbh European experience etc.

May have been his decision of course but wouldn't have thought he‘d have turned down an offer from us if there was one .

Anyway, well worth the couple of seasons he came back for .

he had a brain though,,seanie