The Ashley Young Thread | Page 19 | Vital Football

The Ashley Young Thread

I think 'we've' made a mistake here, I honestly do.

Would you rather have Ashley young than not. Of course you would. His departure is most probably driven by available finance. Keeping Ash around comes at a cost the club have obviously thought they will get a better bang for there buck elsewhere.

It's got to be about the length of contract being offered
Thinks he can still do a job for a couple of seasons maybe. I wish him well whetever he rocks up at

It's got to be about the length of contract being offered
Thinks he can still do a job for a couple of seasons maybe. I wish him well whetever he rocks up at

From the sound of it he wasn't offered one at all.

He accepted a 1 year deal last year - couldn't see how the club could offer less than this - so imo rightly or wrongly he wasn't offered any contract at all.

We must be buying a new right back because Young has showed us Cash is not good enough bettered by a 37 year old man. Personally i would have given him one more season .

Moreno/Digne I think is to be the attacking FB. I think Emery wants a defender who will come across to cover when we attack. Ergo Konsa at FB with Deigo & Mings as CB - not the way I would do it - but I could understand if Emery went this route.

Wouldn't write of cash just yet either. He's struggled with injuries this year - but he did ok 2nd half v Brighton - maybe the fact that Emery stuck with him for 90 rather than bring young on was more significant than we thought.

I think it’s a shame he’s leaving, his experience, versatility and leadership I’d have thought would be invaluable as we head into our first European campaign for over a decade. I can only assume this confirms we will be in the market for a new first choice right back and if we’re trying to make space in the squad then perhaps it indicates quite a few arrivals will be incoming

Don’t think there’s any doubt that pre Emery and with previous managers, Ashley would have been given another year given the season he’s had. The fact that he hasn’t been offered another year is perhaps an indication of the regime we’ve now got at the club. Emery would keep him if he thought it was his best option but how many ambitious and successful clubs offer 38 year olds a new deal? Not many. Think he’s been absolutely first class since returning to the club but we’re in a new era with a head coach whose pedigree is above and beyond anything we’ve probably ever experienced and he’s got a more than decent budget at his disposal. Love Ashley Young, a fantastic professional and a great servant but I think this decision reflects very clearly, where the club currently stands tbh. Tough decision but for me ultimately, a positive one.

I trust Unai but I also echo the statements of everyone else. For his European experience alone I'd have kept him around never mind the experience and leadership he clearly has. He thought Cash a thing or two for a quite a number of months. I personally rate Young over Cash for RB this season and I'd have sold Cash this summer.

Don’t think there’s any doubt that pre Emery and with previous managers, Ashley would have been given another year given the season he’s had. The fact that he hasn’t been offered another year is perhaps an indication of the regime we’ve now got at the club. Emery would keep him if he thought it was his best option but how many ambitious and successful clubs offer 38 year olds a new deal? Not many. Think he’s been absolutely first class since returning to the club but we’re in a new era with a head coach whose pedigree is above and beyond anything we’ve probably ever experienced and he’s got a more than decent budget at his disposal. Love Ashley Young, a fantastic professional and a great servant but I think this decision reflects very clearly, where the club currently stands tbh. Tough decision but for me ultimately, a positive one.

Agree. I was dubious about selling ings for £15m - but that looks a great deal for us with hindsight.

I'd say with high probability that he has been released because we rightly see right back as a key position to improve. I fully expect a good quality right back to come in and Cash to be a squad player next season (or he might see Konsa as the choice for this position and therefore we will be bringing in a quality centre half). I don't understand why some posters have to default to a negative position on absolutely everything we do.