The Unai Emery Thread | Page 86 | Vital Football

The Unai Emery Thread

They spoke about his jacket on Talksport yesterday afternoon as they couldn’t work out quite what type of jacket it was. This was the same conversation me and my gf had whilst watching the spurs away game on tv, paused a video of him in it and found out it’s ‘Boss’, so for anyone who likes it, here it is…

https://www.hugoboss.com/uk/hybrid-down-jacket-with-detachable-hood/hbeu50475013_001.html

Good detective work.
I've had conversations with my sons about that jacket as I don't like it at all.
They think it's ok.

Feel free to clip this out for the front page, Mike.

Good detective work.
I've had conversations with my sons about that jacket as I don't like it at all.
They think it's ok.

Feel free to clip this out for the front page, Mike.

They also asked on talksport if anyone knew who made it and to get in touch if they did but they didn’t say how to get in touch 🤷🏻‍♂️ Pretty sure it was ‘Hawksbee & Jacobs’ around 2pm.

Good article here from John Percy on Unai, it's behind a paywall though.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/01/19/aston-villa-think-skys-limit-unai-emery-helm/

Key points
  • Unai has a desire to 'create a new way'
  • He's in total control, and has regular contact with NSWE
  • Nas was frustrated with Villa's season and individual displays from players
  • NSWE spoke to Poch twice, and sources close to him admit it's the closest he has come to accepting a new job after being impressed with NSWE's plans
  • In talks Poch was promised control of the clubs football operations
  • Whilst waiting for his visa, Emery watched all of Villa's games from this season and the end of the previous one
  • Gerrard was unhappy with the squad and threw players under the bus towards the end of his tenure, but Emery is more savvy and won't be so open about this
  • Replacement for Danny Ings more likely in the summer, but a loan may come in as cover
  • Matty Cash and Lucas Digne face uncertain futures
  • Major changes to technical staff with a technical director to come in and either work with or above Johan Lange, but this may also happen during the summer
Ladies and gentleman, the revolution will not be televised.

Last edited:
  • NSWE spoke to Poch twice, and sources close to him admit it's the closest he has come to accepting a new job after being impressed with NSWE's plans
Really happy we got Emery, he just fits and he is a manager back on the up and not trying to rebuild his reputation. Its great he may see that as being the case as far as the Premier Lge. goes but he has nothing to prove.

I was worried about Poch, I'd absolutely have had him over Gerrard however there was a part of me that worried he lost it a little.

Really happy we got Emery, he just fits and he is a manager back on the up and not trying to rebuild his reputation. Its great he may see that as being the case as far as the Premier Lge. goes but he has nothing to prove.

I was worried about Poch, I'd absolutely have had him over Gerrard however there was a part of me that worried he lost it a little.

The bit that I like is that he was close to taking the job (Poch) because he was impressed by NSWE's plans. That doesn't sound like owners who have decided to shut up shop and close their wallets.

Think for where we are in our evolution (and yes this position has a little hindsight involved), Emery is the right fit for the club. I think Poch could take us forward if we had the structures in place and the general performances were decent on the pitch but Emery is right for a total root and branch rebuild. He may be with us for two or twenty years (I have no clue), but he fits us at the moment and if he leaves us, it will be in much better shape than he found us.

Its depressing and very annoying to ponder where we would be if we'd gone after Emery after Smith was sacked. Or if we'd taken action and booted Gerrard out in the summer instead. Sticking with Stevie an extra few weeks will probably end up costing us a European spot.

Its depressing and very annoying to ponder where we would be if we'd gone after Emery after Smith was sacked. Or if we'd taken action and booted Gerrard out in the summer instead. Sticking with Stevie an extra few weeks will probably end up costing us a European spot.
I don’t know for sure but didn’t he turn down Newcastle because Villarreal were still in the champions league knockouts? I wouldn’t change it tbh perfect manager at the perfect time

On a positive note, he is here now and also after turning down Newcastle which makes his move to Villa Park even sweeter.

Yeah but sometimes that's how it goes. Maybe it's because of Gerrard that we've got a good manager now.

Think we’ve done well to end up with the better manager rather than the better name. As soon as Emery was linked it just all seemed to feel right… Poch as you say a good coach but just seems like his reputation is a bit bigger than his record deserves. Emery on the other hand is an incredibly smart guy, a great coach, but also comes across as humble and an absolute work horse behind the scenes too

Good article here from John Percy on Unai, it's behind a paywall though.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/01/19/aston-villa-think-skys-limit-unai-emery-helm/

Key points
  • Unai has a desire to 'create a new way'
  • He's in total control, and has regular contact with NSWE
  • Nas was frustrated with Villa's season and individual displays from players
  • Whilst waiting for his visa, Emery watched all of Villa's games from this season and the end of the previous one
  • Gerrard was unhappy with the squad and threw players under the bus towards the end of his tenure, but Emery is more savvy and won't be so open about this
  • Replacement for Danny Ings more likely in the summer, but a loan may come in as cover
  • Matty Cash and Lucas Digne face uncertain futures
  • Major changes to technical staff with a technical director to come in and either work with or above Johan Lange, but this may also happen during the summer
Ladies and gentleman, the revolution will not be televised.
Thanks for the summary AB and to finish your quote: "the revolution is live"G S-H