Match Thread: Milton Keynes Dons v Lincoln City | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Milton Keynes Dons v Lincoln City

That’s a game we should have won. MK Dons were not very inspiring but at least tried to play through the midfield. Not sure we were trying to play through any area of the pitch. Been thinking recently that more and more our players just put their foot through the ball with no thought about where it is going, other than away from our penalty area, but it comes straight back. The amount of times an Imps player was on his own, but instead of bringing the ball down and trying to do something creative with it, with support from a team mate or two running into space, they just flick/kick it forward aimlessly. Our players have more skill than that - why aren’t they using it? Are they under instructions, or just scared to lose possession and make a mistake which could cost us the game. They need to be brave and believe in themselves and their ability, especially in the opposition half. On the plus side, yet another draw and a point. But that’s about it. Pleased with Boyes - he looks quite promising, both defensively and getting forward. More to come. Not much from Shodipo but early days and needs to spend some time with the lads training. Thought Regan seems to be having a rough three or four games - hit quite a few misplaced passes today, which is not like him.
That illustrates the ineffectiveness of our coach perfectly

I guess point and not losing another away game are positives.

But let's face it, our football is depressingly awful. We don't look like getting even close to score a goal let alone to win a game.

All we're doing on the training pitch is parking the bus ?

Last edited:
Well, I've posted the post-match threads and published the match stats, so I'm going to try and avoid the site for the rest of the night while I'm in town hopefully enjoying a few pints!

A lot has happened over the last week or two, on top of the other things already going on in life. It's a bit overwhelming.

24 goals in 25 games tells the story. 6 of them in 1 game. That Bristol Rovers game has a lot to answer for turning us dull as dishwater. Some spirited displays initially, but we are in the entertainment industry and now fans are starting turning off. It becomes a hard road back, and a hard sell when you park the bus and lump it.

Feel a bit sorry for Bishop because when he does play he’s often out of position.

I know what you are saying, but he was effectively right side midfield in a three today, and did nothing. Little effort and very little skill in a midfield that is crying out for him to show his experience and talent.

Maybe I am expecting too much from someone signed as Grant's replacement, but I was bitterly disappointed in him today.

Big pitch, a team that just passed it around at the back and put no pressure on us in midfield, so plenty of space. And we again showed absolutely nothing creatively from any of Bishop, Sorensen, or Sanders.

24 goals in 25 games tells the story. 6 of them in 1 game. That Bristol Rovers game has a lot to answer for turning us dull as dishwater. Some spirited displays initially, but we are in the entertainment industry and now fans are starting turning off. It becomes a hard road back, and a hard sell when you park the bus and lump it.

If it is the case that fans are starting ‘turning off’, that says a sight more about those fans than the current playing set up.

This make total sense to me. Who of us does not like love a 6-3 win. Exciting, attacking, hairy scary entertainment. I much prefer it to a backs to the wall, lump it hang on in there type performance. Truth is, it’s boring. When is my season ticket up for renew? Gonna have to think very carefully this time, my gas bills coming!

I know what you are saying, but he was effectively right side midfield in a three today, and did nothing. Little effort and very little skill in a midfield that is crying out for him to show his experience and talent.

Maybe I am expecting too much from someone signed as Grant's replacement, but I was bitterly disappointed in him today.

Big pitch, a team that just passed it around at the back and put no pressure on us in midfield, so plenty of space. And we again showed absolutely nothing creatively from any of Bishop, Sorensen, or Sanders.

Frustrating from our midfield today and no excuses. In the first half, they could have pressed forward without resistance. Perhaps they're just not up to it and MApp knew that last season.

Confidence is clearly an issue throughout the team, but can't help feeling we had a great chance to exorcise that particular ghost today.

Woefully short of any coordinated attacking play, just barnstorming runs from Diamond and to a lesser extent, Mandroiu.

It's not as if MK were blessed with searing pace.

Let's hope the incomers can drag some form out of them.

This make total sense to me. Who of us does not like love a 6-3 win. Exciting, attacking, hairy scary entertainment. I much prefer it to a backs to the wall, lump it hang on in there type performance. Truth is, it’s boring. When is my season ticket up for renew? Gonna have to think very carefully this time, my gas bills coming!

10 goals and 16 points in 16 league games since then by my reckoning. Glad we moved away from that approach.

On way home and only just dried out after a soaking on way to game. Not sure how to review that game to be honest. I thought with more men in midfield we would be in the game more, but seemed to be they just sat off. I saw on Twitter, RICT had Sorenson as an option for MOM, will have one of whatever they’re on, as far as I was concerned he didn’t even do his normal running around. Thought Diamond had a decent game considering lack of support he had. First view of Boyes, thought he looked okay. Shodipo looked like he wanted the ball but lost it and ran it out of play when he did get it.

Something went seriously wrong after that Bristol Rovers game. Kennedy’s interview after the 6-3 win focussed solely on our defensive shortcomings and he gave no praise for the attacking flair that had destroyed Bristol Rovers. Maybe he was taking it for granted. He appeared terrified of the games coming up against the bigger clubs. The changes he made did indeed tighten us up at the back but also destroyed our strengths up front. The damage he was inflicting was obvious in the very next match v Doncaster in the Pizza Cup when we failed to break down a very poor Doncaster and somehow contrived to lose a match we’d dominated.
His changes did indeed bring good results against Ipswich, Shef Wed and Barnsley but we have definitely lost something going forward that is essential for actually winning games

Something went seriously wrong after that Bristol Rovers game. Kennedy’s interview after the 6-3 win focussed solely on our defensive shortcomings and he gave no praise for the attacking flair that had destroyed Bristol Rovers. Maybe he was taking it for granted. He appeared terrified of the games coming up against the bigger clubs. The changes he made did indeed tighten us up at the back but also destroyed our strengths up front. The damage he was inflicting was obvious in the very next match v Doncaster in the Pizza Cup when we failed to break down a very poor Doncaster and somehow contrived to lose a match we’d dominated.
His changes did indeed bring good results against Ipswich, Shef Wed and Barnsley but we have definitely lost something going forward that is essential for actually winning games

The thing was though, as I recall Rovers that day were decimated by injuries and three of their back four were midfielders or forwards. It definitely gave us all an unfair reflection of our attacking "prowess".

Considering the team Rovers put out, we were also awful defensively, which - as you rightly say - prompted the 5 at the back cautious approach after that game.

We didnt lose or concede. A point is better than nothing.
But yet again we failed to beat a bottom four team and I can fully appreciate the frustration of those fans who gave up their time and good money to go and watch
apparent dross.
I say apparent as I didn't go and have only followed this thread re the match so haven't seen any of the action. But judging by all the comments on here by those viewing the match it was indeed dross. Even those on here who are not quick to criticise mention how poor it was.
We are still desperate for someone to take control of our midfield those hoping Bishop may be the answer have realised he isn't.
Someone mentioned how poor he was today and not overly interested , going back to the Accrington game that was the impression I had of him in that one
Roll on Burton fingers crossed more incoming by then if no changes in midfield I fear the worst.

I saw on Twitter, RICT had Sorenson as an option for MOM, will have one of whatever they’re on, as far as I was concerned he didn’t even do his normal running around. Thought Diamond had a decent game considering lack of support he had.

If I remember right David Preece on Radio Lincs commentary chose Sorensen as his man of the match just ahead of Diamond.

If I remember right David Preece on Radio Lincs commentary chose Sorensen as his man of the match just ahead of Diamond.

Sorensen was the best of an exceedingly poor midfield for us - certainly streets ahead of Sanders and Bishop - yet was still only average.

Diamond should have edged it for Preece though as he was our only attacking threat. Maybe David's ears were still ringing from the kids sat behind him first half. I know mine were.