Transfer Window - January 2023 | Page 28 | Vital Football

Transfer Window - January 2023

It's hard to dislike a model pro like Davies actually. That shouldn't be confused with seeing his flaws though. I think you could put Hojbjerg and Dier in that same category.

I think we all know that when we reach another gear as a club, none of these guys will be as prominent in the first team line-ups. I was hoping that would be at the start of this current season but it clearly wasn't. In my opinion, we're still muddling along with them.

Like Walker, Vertonghen was a class act to follow. We still haven't replaced Walker 5 years after he left. We simply must not let that happen with Vertonghen. It's already been a couple of seasons.

It's hard to dislike a model pro like Davies actually. That shouldn't be confused with seeing his flaws though. I think you could put Hojbjerg and Dier in that same category.

I think we all know that when we reach another gear as a club, none of these guys will be as prominent in the first team line-ups. I was hoping that would be at the start of this current season but it clearly wasn't. In my opinion, we're still muddling along with them.

Like Walker, Vertonghen was a class act to follow. We still haven't replaced Walker 5 years after he left. We simply must not let that happen with Vertonghen. It's already been a couple of seasons.

LOL we haven't effectively replaced:

-Walker
-Bale
-Mods
-Vert
-Toby (unless you consider Dier as a replacement for either Toby or Vert...I honestly think both were better)
-Dembele

Gotta be realistic bud, just how do you go about replacing 3 of them? Modric & Bale in particular were both irreplaceable i reckon.

I know...but for a team that has been in the CL pretty regularly and even in a CL final...and has aspirations of winning the league...hell anything...

We need to start improving our quality on the pitch. The Kulu, Biss, and Bent signings are a good start. Need to keep rolling over a couple more windows...and I also think we need to move on from Kane.

LOL we haven't effectively replaced:

-Walker
-Bale
-Mods
-Vert
-Toby (unless you consider Dier as a replacement for either Toby or Vert...I honestly think both were better)
-Dembele
I'd say that replacing Bale with Son after a few years was good going.
As was replacing Modric with Debele after a few years.

The problem was we then had to replace Rose, Vert, Toby, Walker, Dembele and Wanyama all pretty much at the same time. With Eriksen and Dele going not long after. That is no easy task and I can only think of 4 clubs that could probably deal with that; Man City, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Chelsea.

Of course it was made even more difficult for us by Poch refusing to sign anyone and then the club shortly afterwards switching playing styles to defensive football and now 5 at the back.

But we have started to correct the course. Hojbjerg was exactly what we needed to steady the ship in midfield while the team progresses. Bentancur has raised the bar in that position in terms of quality. Hopefully Bissouma can show that too. The 3 of them plus Skipp fighting to be the engine room of the team is a healthy place to be.

Romero while I have doubts over him (I distrust CBs that struggle in a back 4) he certainly has raised the bar compared to our current CBs. That is progress. We now need to do that same again in Jan for that position.

Kulu has replaced that creative spark of Eriksen or the chaos of earlier years of Dele.

The real concern for me is how the 3 remaining stars of Pochs years will need to be replaced soon. Richarlison is a capable signing to tie us over until we have the next top forward. But we will need more than just him and better quality too. Plus changing our number 1 is worrying even if he hasn't been so steady the last few years.

That's without mentioning the wingback/fullback areas. I neither see any player in the game that can do what is expected of them and that's before you consider our price points. So a formation change is required to reach the next level, which brings into question our weak CBs again .

A lot of work to be done but we are on the right path after Pochs mismanagement of the squad.