Southampton v Newcastle United | Page 4 | Vital Football

Southampton v Newcastle United

They'll be livid with Adam's misses 🤭. Can't complain too much with no clean sheet. Botman had a mare, but can be forgiven. Almiron, nice one! Wood... Isak and Wilson beware!😂

Marvelous.

Not since the days of 'The Entertainers' has Sky been licking our arse or highlighting us so much but today saw a change as the coverage pre-game was massive plus there was more than enough crowd shots and funny camera angles as if they are part of the journey. It's as if they've given up working against us and are wanting to ride the wave.

It's like they are almost expecting us to finish top 4 but there'll be no such thoughts with our bunch as it's one game at a time.

Today we didn't pass well in certain patches but we always seemed in control and didn't panic. To play average but still win and score 4 with some big players missing, is testament to what Eddie Howe has brought here.

Also.....

It's the best start since we finished 2nd in 96/97. That season saw us top on 29 points from the first 14 games played.

Under Parsnip when we somehow got 5th, we had 24 points from the same amount of games played.

Last season at this stage, we had 7 points.

Very average performance but w.t.f. it's a great result.
Given we'll still be in the top 4 when the season resumes after the W.C.
regardless of next weekends fixtures is testament to how far we've come.
A couple of quality signings in January & the dream could become a reality.

Brilliant result when so many of our lads looked (to me) like they were having an off day. 11 different scorers this season they said on the commentary. Sky gave MOTM to Longstaff.

How did they manage that?? I'm sorry but he's absolutely useless. Can't pass, just runs around and looks busy hehehe. For me it's either Willock or Trippier. But what do I know hahaha.

Was worth getting up at 3 am. Not their best game but hey a win is a win. May it continue.
Left-back IMHO a problem as well as another midfielder. I mean a decent one, apart from Longstaff.
Pity about Liverpool beating Spurs. A draw would have been better, but oh well. At least we stay 3rd

We were very clinical 4-1 probably flattered us but do we care nope! The fans were superb as well.

How did they manage that?? I'm sorry but he's absolutely useless. Can't pass, just runs around and looks busy hehehe. For me it's either Willock or Trippier. But what do I know hahaha.
Must admit I'm a bit baffled how Longstaff gets praised. He does seem to get the odd assist and run about a bit, but seems to lose the ball a lot and not do much else.

Must admit I'm a bit baffled how Longstaff gets praised. He does seem to get the odd assist and run about a bit, but seems to lose the ball a lot and not do much else.
I tend listen to the views of those who go to the match rather than form a definitive opinion based on what I see on the box.

Yes Longstaff did lose the ball occasionally against Southampton, as did Bruno, Botman and Trippier amongst others.

According to those who attended the Everton, Villa and Southampton games he did a lot more than run around a bit, he ran around a lot.

The importance of covering distance with the system we play is intergeral to our success, this was especially obvious against the Saints with the absence of big Joe (although he adds a bit more than running).

Factor in his eye for a pass and there is little doubt in my mind we would have struggled in the games mentioned above without his industry.

Even more importantly, the managers and his teamates minds who clearly value his contribution.

Clearly our run has not been a fluke and clearly there is no way we could afford passengers while on it.

I totally agree with PM that there are no passengers in Howe's side - I think where my criticism of Longstaff comes from over the past few weeks is from having one eye on future transfer windows

I think most would agree that the likes of Longstaff along with Murphy, Fraser and Wood are the more obvious choices to be improved on.

Ultimately I just think Longstaff lacks the quality needed for us to really push on - exactly like Almiron though I would love to see him shove my words down my throat

I reckon Bruno likes playing with Longstaff. He does a lot of running for him.

Slightly off subject but did people notice Trippier getting people to do his running for him? World class it was and an excellent way for a more experienced player to save on energy by his pointing where he wanted players to charge down or tackle whilst he stood his ground.