More Millers Rumours | Page 5 | Vital Football

More Millers Rumours

Probably the lowest-ranked striker that we have been linked with so far. Makes Eaves look like a prolific scorer. :rolleyes:

From what Warney has said we are trying to get a new wing-back, a new striker and a new keeper too. Better start getting a move on now, if this is a serious plan - not much time to play with, and we can't allow any more prospective signings to dither about for ages (before they decide to go elsewhere).

Wigan fans seem to quite like Humphrys and reckon he struggled with their system. They would prefer he was loaned rather than sold. He seems to like the ball played to his feet rather than lumped up to him so could perhaps play off a CF.

He didn't score a single goal last season.... so he'll probably be on about £20000 per week, and we wont be able to afford him anyway. :p

Wigan seem to have a "thing" about signing forwards who never score. I would be amazed if any other Championship club jumped in to sign him though. He is surplus to Wigan's requirements because they have just outbid us for Fletcher form Watford.

Last edited:
Humphrys has supposedly "beefed up" from last season.:unsure: We may also be looking at William Osula from the Blades. Only played a handful of games. Still a teenager, I think. Not usually PW's style?

He's only just 19 years old. He's played five times for Sheffield United and (guess what?) hasn't scored a goal for them. Got to be ranked even lower than Humphrys! Sounds like another Jordan Slew, and not what we need. If Kayode and McGuckin really are fit again in a few days time, there would be no point in us signing Osula. Think we would now be better looking in the lower divisions for somebody who can score goals at that level. Probably will need to pay a transfer fee though.

Warney said that he is expecting a "domino effect" nearer the deadline, and more players should become available. Let's hope that he is correct.

Last edited:
Completely agree, Mike. Go and sign Luke Armstrong (Harrogate), Danny Johnson (Walsall) or Sam Hoskins (Northampton). In fact get two of them! Luke looks a bit like Erling Haaland by the way.

15/08/22

Paul Davis (Advertiser) Twitter - Warney said that he is now in talks with a wing-back. Wigan were contacted re Humphrys, but we are taking no further action. Osula was never going to be a signing for us... so cross them off the rumour list.

Osula would be a silly signing. The Blades want him to play regularly and how can we offer him that? Stockton is out and so is Humphrys according to PW. With the loss of "dreamboy" to Wigan we apparently no longer see a striker as a requirement. I suspect Ogbene's goals and the prospect of Eaves returning has changed the dynamic in Warne's mind. Kayode isn't ready. So we rely on Conor, Georgie and Tom and pray to goodness none of them get injured. We need another striker but I'm not the manager.

The trouble is that Ogbene's goalscoring run could just be a great step forward or it could just be a fluke - long may it last, but he has rarely been able to hit a barn door with a banjo in his previous few seasons with us! Plus we have no idea what state Eaves will be in when he eventually returns. He rarely scores anyway (except against us!). We still need another striker, and not just some young kid getting "game time".

Last edited:
Ogbene may still leave. I think he will. If we get a good offer we have to sell. I've said before we can't keep letting our talent go on free transfers. The reality of our wage structure means we have to sell and replace with potential. I would rather sell Barlaser and Ogbene now than see them walk away next Summer. They will NOT renew and if Warne thinks they might he's delusional.
Warne's attitude towards getting a striker in his latest interview was odd given what has been said before. He does seem to have a talismanic confidence in Eaves.
My impression is that Warne doesn't fancy Stockton and he may be right. I also suspect he made an approach for Humphrys but Wigan said no. This might be wages or a reluctance to loan a player to a possible relegation rival. We rarely care about this but other clubs do.

Last edited:
Yes, Warney did make it clear that Stockton is not joining the Millers., so sounds like he has been crossed off the rumour list. Whether that is for football reasons, fitness, financial, or personal, I have no idea. Newcastle get a big cut of any fee for Barlaser, so we may as well hang on to him for now, as we won't lose much money by doing so.

Matt Olosunde. Can you go back? Injury? You never know. Fitness though? Is he? We need a RB RWB ready right now. No point if he joins Kioso in rehab. If he's fit and injury free I think he'd come back if PW wanted him.

Matt Olosunde. Can you go back? Injury? You never know. Fitness though? Is he? We need a RB RWB ready right now. No point if he joins Kioso in rehab. If he's fit and injury free I think he'd come back if PW wanted him.

He's at Preston but didn't make the squad yesterday - I presume he has an injury but not sure.