Transfer Window - Summer 2022 | Page 249 | Vital Football

Transfer Window - Summer 2022

I never thought Torres was our first choice this summer for LCB. That was surely Bastoni, and I think Lenglet is a great second choice. The difference is that Conte needs to get him back to former levels. Personally, I don't think Torres will achieve those levels, but could be wrong. Lenglet is showing good signs.

As for the attacking areas of the pitch, it's less certain. Jesus, Raphina and Richarlison ended up as the latter. It never felt like Eriksen was going to happen, and I wasn't convinced Maddison was the answer. Nobody was surprised that Eriksen made nice comments about Thomas Frank, and then comments about playing CL again and then took the Utd money.

Personally, I always thought that someone like Zaniola was going to be our choice. I hope he still is. Richarlison and Zaniola should mean that we see very little of Moura this season and should keep the other 3 out of their comfort zone.

Torres has been a club target for awhile, as we all know he was on the verge of joining, then decided to stay another season. The GLC/ Torres "swap" (which of course isnt really a swap but 2 separate deals) has always been on the money. Bastoni would be of course Conte's fav, and should be ours too, but the deals have always been mutually exclusive and not relevant to each other. Lenglet was a target, but then was essentially taken off, and when made available unexpectedly was something too logical to not move on. Lucky for us fer sure. Before the window I told someone not to be shocked if we sign 3 or 4 Cb's. 1 so far.

Of the 3 forwards, only Richarlison was ever actually inquired & acted on. And only then as an unexpected possibility, not a 'target'. I said 10,000,000 times that Raphina was only going to Barca... The things said to me over that... And yet he went exactly there. Any play for him was told immediately not to waste your time, and nobody did. Jesus would never subject himself to the demands of Conte, he's not that kind of man.

Eriksen was playing everyone, he wants his last payday, whether he did agree to Spurs terms or not, I thought he did, but the rumors of his demands, and what he's got from Manure, I now doubt there was any veracity to the claims of his return.

IDK about Maddison, someone I respect told me he was a real possibility. But I'm not sure that's isnt backroom maneuvering for him to get a better deal. Much more intriguing and interesting links to other English midfield lads anyway.

Still shopping the cash strapped Italians, someone's besides Juve has gotta make a move or the chance is gonna be gone.

Watch the calendar, SerieA starts next week....

As far as I can tell, NDomb going to Villareal as well is a real deal thing. We are in a good spot with them team to team, and might see more trading over the next year.

Zaniolo is not only a favourite of Paratici and Conte, he has been a key target for us for years.

I'm still not convinced by him, but he does have the physical attributes to be a PL player.

Zaniolo is not only a favourite of Paratici and Conte, he has been a key target for us for years.

I'm still not convinced by him, but he does have the physical attributes to be a PL player.
I don't really understand why a player with his injury record would have been a key target, he is just 23 now but has missed over a season and a half due to ACL injuries. It would be a big gamble no matter how talented he is, you can understand why we would want to take him on a season long loan before committing to a purchase.

Better physical attributes and more equipped than Lo Celso to make a success of being a PL player?
I'm not sure physical attributes necessarily determine success in the PL, if you want an Italian example Zola had similar physical attributes to Lo Celso and he did alright. Ndombele is built for the physicality of the PL but doesn't have the commitment. You can never be sure if a player will suit the PL, all you can do is carry out as much due diligence as possible and hope you get it right.

I'm not sure physical attributes necessarily determine success in the PL, if you want an Italian example Zola had similar physical attributes to Lo Celso and he did alright. Ndombele is built for the physicality of the PL but doesn't have the commitment. You can never be sure if a player will suit the PL, all you can do is carry out as much due diligence as possible and hope you get it right.

I met Zola as a teenager and he had massive biceps and shoulders. It's why he could hold off bigger defenders. I never saw Gio with them guns.

I'm not suggesting for one moment that it does. There is obviously something Conte and Paratici see in Zaniolo other than physical attributes, to make them think he is better equipped for establishing himself in the PL than Lo Celso. I don't expect anything less than thorough due diligence from both of them.

Latest gossip claims that Maureen has persuaded Zaniolo to stay for one more year. Can't say I will be overly disappointed if true but if that is the case we need to move on quickly if Conte feels an attacking midfielder is needed.

I'm not suggesting for one moment that it does. There is obviously something Conte and Paratici see in Zaniolo other than physical attributes, to make them think he is better equipped for establishing himself in the PL than Lo Celso. I don't expect anything less than thorough due diligence from both of them.
I concur but for the life of me i don't know what they see in him Rich.

Well with the signing of Udogie completed we move on to the luxury or marquee signing if you prefer. It's looking increasingly likely that Patty has shifted his attention to an AM. I do wonder if he has something else up his sleeve after the disappointment of losing out on the kid from Roma.

Wow....that's come out of left-field, some reports suggest Newcastle are in pole position to sign Ndombele. That really would surprise me if it happened!