Gills new signings | Page 16 | Vital Football

Gills new signings

So Harris said today that he needs two more players.
I think that will still leave us a little bit light although he had previously said that he only wants players who will be involved and not just making up numbers.
I’d think at least three would be more logical however I’m not picking up the salary bill.

I think that will still leave us a little bit light although he had previously said that he only wants players who will be involved and not just making up numbers.
I’d think at least three would be more logical however I’m not picking up the salary bill.

I’m clinging (desperately) to the hope that there is actually quite a bit of space left in our wage budget. And that any remaining signings might be very decent quality.

Surely the 13+ League 1 players that have left since last season were on more than the 13 League 2 players that have so far replaced them? Other than maybe Shaun Williams or Mika Mandron on a decent wedge, I hope we haven’t broken the bank on any of the rest.

I know we will now have a L2 budget, but we’ve sold more s/t’s than last season, so it shouldn’t go down too much should it?

I’m clinging (desperately) to the hope that there is actually quite a bit of space left in our wage budget. And that any remaining signings might be very decent quality.

Surely the 13+ League 1 players that have left since last season were on more than the 13 League 2 players that have so far replaced them? Other than maybe Shaun Williams or Mika Mandron on a decent wedge, I hope we haven’t broken the bank on any of the rest.

I know we will now have a L2 budget, but we’ve sold more s/t’s than last season, so it shouldn’t go down too much should it?
I wouldn’t have thought so OSK.
Pretty similar to previous years I’d think.
Out of the seven under contract, most of those will be on above average League two salaries.
Let’s think.
O’keefe definitely
Lee definitely
Reeves definitely
Ehmer definitely
Tutonda doubt it
Woods definitely not
Lintott definitely not

I wouldn’t have thought so OSK.
Pretty similar to previous years I’d think.
Out of the seven under contract, most of those will be on above average League two salaries.
Let’s think.
O’keefe definitely
Lee definitely
Reeves definitely
Ehmer definitely
Tutonda doubt it
Woods definitely not
Lintott definitely not
Seen various rumours stating Ehmer is on 2.5k a week and Tutonda 2k a week!
Can see why they haven’t left as which other club would pay them that much?!

Seen various rumours stating Ehmer is on 2.5k a week and Tutonda 2k a week!
Can see why they haven’t left as which other club would pay them that much?!

Did SE have some embarrassing photos of PS or something?

How did he talk him in to paying those exhorbitant salaries, plus the reported figure that Maghoma was on for starting about 3 games.

Ehmer had effectively been sent to the wilderness by Barton who did not want him, and his team had been relegated when we picked him up the second time. How would he and his agent have the bargaining power to demand £2.5k a week and a £50k agents fee?

The mind boggles.

I may be wrong but I read that as 2 more contracted players. Harris talks about possibly 2 more loan spaces being available towards the end of the window. Agreed that we'd be a bit light otherwise.

Did SE have some embarrassing photos of PS or something?

How did he talk him in to paying those exhorbitant salaries, plus the reported figure that Maghoma was on for starting about 3 games.

Ehmer had effectively been sent to the wilderness by Barton who did not want him, and his team had been relegated when we picked him up the second time. How would he and his agent have the bargaining power to demand £2.5k a week and a £50k agents fee?

The mind boggles.
Evans liked Ehmer at Gills and wanted him back. You’ll see a lot of the players he favours follow him around to whichever clubs he manages.
Jordan Roberts scored Stevenage’s winner on Saturday, someone Evans had on loan I think at Gills, and we know Aaron Chapman has gone there too.
I think Scally just gives his managers the budget and let’s them spend it how they choose, Evans went for a smaller squad of higher paid players that backfired last season.

I think Scally just gives his managers the budget and let’s them spend it how they choose, Evans went for a smaller squad of higher paid players that backfired last season.

Albeit the budget last season was restricted by the rules of the embargo. We could only spend up to £2.5k a week on new signings.

So Evans had his hands tied to a degree.

It would be interesting to know the budget this season in comparison to last - if we are no longer under the embargo (as the EFL site suggests) then it may even be larger than last year, or maybe around the same with relegation.

We have a squad of 18 players at the mo (if you discount AMB and Akehurst as it has been muted he would go out on loan).

We need 18 to fill a bench. I can't help but think 2 more is too short (even if Akehurst is factored in), it gives us next to no room for injuries or suspensions, and leaves us relying on kids, which didn't work last year.

We have added well enough this year, but a CB and a striker is needed imo badly, and of very good quality if possible. I would hope based on who we have signed that there is a decent amount left, they don't appear to be players we have broken the bank for.

I think our season hinges on those two positions tbh. Ehmer is a liability now, and Mandron can't be relied upon every game, and ideally we need a different type of striker to him i.e. fox in the box type. Walker I would think is 3rd choice.

Albeit the budget last season was restricted by the rules of the embargo. We could only spend up to £2.5k a week on new signings.

So Evans had his hands tied to a degree.

It would be interesting to know the budget this season in comparison to last - if we are no longer under the embargo (as the EFL site suggests) then it may even be larger than last year, or maybe around the same with relegation.

We have a squad of 18 players at the mo (if you discount AMB and Akehurst as it has been muted he would go out on loan).

We need 18 to fill a bench. I can't help but think 2 more is too short (even if Akehurst is factored in), it gives us next to no room for injuries or suspensions, and leaves us relying on kids, which didn't work last year.

We have added well enough this year, but a CB and a striker is needed imo badly, and of very good quality if possible. I would hope based on who we have signed that there is a decent amount left, they don't appear to be players we have broken the bank for.

I think our season hinges on those two positions tbh. Ehmer is a liability now, and Mandron can't be relied upon every game, and ideally we need a different type of striker to him i.e. fox in the box type. Walker I would think is 3rd choice.

Whatever the budget is and whatever the club, the following will always be true:

- it is never enough for the manager;
- it is never enough for the fans;
- the manager will be praised for new acquisitions;
- the chairman will be blamed for too few acquisitions.

We are short all over the park. We need 5-6 additional players minimum to manage with injuries and suspensions. The kids aren’t ready yet - NH said as much on KOL today. We are months behind with player recruitment. Division 4 is going to be competitive. We don’t have a right to promotion and we can’t afford to throw the first 10 games because we’re I’ll prepared for the new season.

Evans liked Ehmer at Gills and wanted him back. You’ll see a lot of the players he favours follow him around to whichever clubs he manages.
Jordan Roberts scored Stevenage’s winner on Saturday, someone Evans had on loan I think at Gills, and we know Aaron Chapman has gone there too.

Let’s hope Evans bids for Ehmer and Tutonda in the next week then.

DT on 2k a week? If that is true then fucking hell, football really has gone mad.

Whatever the budget is and whatever the club, the following will always be true:
- it is never enough for the manager;
- it is never enough for the fans;
- the manager will be praised for new acquisitions;
- the chairman will be blamed for too few acquisitions.

We are not querying the budget or even that a player earns up to £2.5k a week, but that is the sort of figure that should be paid to the best all round players in the team (Maybe Tucker or O'Keefe), not one that is solid but slow and uncreative (Ehmer) a defender that seems to be only of value going forward as a wing back (Tutonda) or one that never starts games, even when fit (Maghoma).

Any research about those players and their history, or even comments on fan sites would have told anyone they were all pretty limited and would not have been in great demand.

If Scally really just quoted the budget and left negotiations to SE, I can see why a head of recruitment became essential to prevent a glut of similar painfully overpaid acquisitions being promoted by their agents.

Last edited:
We are not querying the budget or even that a player earns up to £2.5k a week, but that is the sort of figure that should be paid to the best all round players in the team (Maybe Tucker or O'Keefe), not one that is solid but slow and uncreative (Ehmer) a defender that seems to be only of value going forward as a wing back (Tutonda) or one that never starts games, even when fit (Maghoma).

Any research about those players and their history, or even comments on fan sites would have told anyone they were all pretty limited and would not have been in great demand.

If Scally really just quoted the budget and left negotiations to SE, I can see why a head of recruitment became essential to prevent a glut of similar painfully overpaid acquisitions being promoted by their agents.

The bit in the original post is “rumoured”. I wonder where from? 🤔

I’d be very surprised if Ehmer is/was on that amount. The fact we actually had to pay an agents(?) fee means he’d probably be on less. And this is a player that was pretty poor at Rovers, had issues with their manager and was not wanted by them. I reckon Max would have run to us for any amount of wages, let alone holding out for top whack. So probably a mid range earner for us imho.

As for David Tutonda, he was just a bit part player for them, with little record of note and also not wanted. I reckon he’d be on quite minimal wages.

I agree with previous posters that when it comes to budgets, PS would let his manager know the total and then the manager would decide what players, how many and what wages he’d give them (within certain parameters). Listening to Darragh MacAnthony pods, this is exactly the sort of thing that happens. The chairman might have a discussion over certain players, but that it. Manager makes the decisions.

Given that, why would a manager spend a lot of money on a couple of mid/poor defenders, and have no budget left for quality where it matters?
So I call b/s to the “rumoured” amounts. The people spreading those rumours know that it’s something that will never be proven otherwise.

As Bromley says, it has all gone a bit quiet on the player front.

Genuinely thought we`d have had another signing/s in by the time Rochdale set foot inside Priestfield.

I think its gone generally quiet on the transfer front in the Division.

I think there might be an element of people playing their poker face and that the next flurry of activity will be the week before the deadline.