The 2022 Summer Transfer /Rumours Thread | Page 12 | Vital Football

The 2022 Summer Transfer /Rumours Thread

I can feel.it in my water- signing tonight.

šŸ˜‡:grinning:

Blackpool Football Club have secured signing number three of the summer, after completing the transfer of Dominic Thompson for an undisclosed fee from Brentford.
A full-back by trade, Thompson joins the Seasiders on a three-year deal until the summer of 2025, with the Club holding an option for a further 12 months.
A graduate of Arsenalā€™s Academy, the 21-year-old has already made 50 league appearances across the EFL and Premier League, having signed for Brentford in 2019.
During that time, Thompson also enjoyed loan spells in League One with Swindon Town and Ipswich Town, and will add further strength to Michael Appletonā€™s squad ahead of Saturdayā€™s season opener against Reading.
On signing for Blackpool, Thompson said:
ā€œItā€™s nice to finally get this deal done with a week to go before the new season starts.
ā€œIā€™ve had experience through the leagues in my career so far, and I believe I can add a lot to this team and help build on the success from last season. Iā€™m athletic and like to contribute to the attack as well as the defence. Iā€™ll always give 100% to the team.
ā€œIā€™m really looking forward to the future and playing Championship football on a regular basis here at Blackpool.ā€
Head Coach Michael Appleton said:
ā€œDominic brings a really good pedigree to the Club, and is someone I was aware of following his loan spells at Swindon and Ipswich.
ā€œHe brings a real athleticism and energy and will offer a lot across the pitch in attack and defence. He knows how to defend one v one and at the back post, which is everything you want in a full-back.
ā€œWeā€™re delighted that weā€™ve been able to bring him in permanently too, which will only be a good thing for the football club.ā€

Ipshit quotes:

Not the attacking get to the byline type of full back I really want to see, but definitely. Makes up for anything lacking in that sense with what he does elsewhere.
Good throw ins too.

It was clear on day one he's got talent and has been well coached in the style we want to play (looks after the ball well). I don't think there's any question over his ability. Isn't this just a question of whether he fits?

It probably is moot, as I expect the next target would be a Championship loan for him. But maybe we could get him back on loan next year if he and Brentford think his time with us is doing him good?

Thompson also recently signed a new contract. Thereā€™s no chance of us getting him on a permanent deal imho.

He's part of a defence that doesn't concede too many goals at all. So I wouldn't be unhappy if he became a permanent signing.

He doesn't offer what Burns does going forward as a wing back, but that doesn't mean he can't improve that aspect of his game.

Would love to see him signed permanently, clearly has all the attributes needed, getting better each game, and part of a defence that doesn't concede. What's not to like?

If we are going to get automatic promotion we need as potent a wing back on the left as on the right. A permanent signing if at all possible.

I think everyone accepts Thompson hasn't looked entirely comfortable going forwards, but he is improving, and we need to remember he doesn't have a LCB like Donacien relentlessly under / overlapping for 90 minutes. I think he's got a very high ceiling, and a year or two in League 1 & Championship could easily see him develop into some player.

I could see a return, if he liked it and we promised to keep developing his attacking game. However as I think we could only hope for a loan, I'd rather see a permanent signing.

Wouldn't be disappointed if we got him on a season long loan... He may not be everything you'd want in a WB, attacking wise (yet).. But, he is improving, imo.. Got a feeling that if Brentford loan him out again next season, they and he, might want that to be Championship, to aid development.. Although, imo, a full season in a promotion chasing L1 team,under KMc, who's got bags of experience bringing on youngsters, and he'd get plenty of games here so would still be a decent move in terms of his development...Imo

Fits the mould in terms of the long term strategy at the club. Not sure LB would have been a priority for me but you can't necessarily dictate the order that they come through the door.

Sounds very different to the players we've already got, in that (a) he can apparently defend which Garbutt can't and (b) looks pacey, which is something neither Husband nor Garbutt have. Is Husband seen as a CB only now - and Thorniley is the odd one out? Or is one of Husband and Garbutt leaving?

Still think the biggest issue we are really having this summer is getting people out the door. We've got a lot of bodies (everywhere but CM) but quality is fairly thin on the ground.

From Facebook:

We had him for 6 months last season on loan at Ipswich.. good player loads of potential never let us down.. loves to get forward.. he will be an upgrade on garbutt for yous

is he fast and physical type?

yea def is.. rarely loses the ball and has a good whipping cross on him

MA clearly didn't rate James - he'll never pull on the shirt again.
Can see Garbutt going now as Husband can cover LB but I think MA sees him, Marv and Williams as CH with Keogh / Tharme as cover.
Could even see Gabriel moving on now, especially if Irish lad comes in.

Hopefully that's Gtimshaw now nailed on as no1.
For Sat defence wise:
Grimshaw
Gabriel
Marv
Williams
Thompson.

Thorniley will be moved out.

I vaguely recall that we had a player called Thompson back in the 1960's and was possibly a defender?

You thinking of the infamous Max Thompson A1?
Signed him from Swansea, played for Liverpoool but whilst at Blackpool - got charged with screwing his gas meter. Dread to think what he makes of today's price for gas :halo:

I always felt that Simms was never going to take to us. He didn't appear all that keen when with us. very over rated imho. decent enough but certainly not brilliant. Very boring subject and hopefully the last we will hear of him.

Blackpool are set to sign Wolves forward Theo Corbeanu on a season-long loan.

I remember him from the franchise team in the playoffs.
Not the finished article but there's a real talent there.
Good signing if it comes off.

Corbeanu makes CJ look rather pathetic. I believe this will be a top loan signing. He appears to be as fit as a butchers dog. I like him already. We need to off load a few too. :clown:

In SS we trust and UTMP.

Last edited: