Summer transfer window thread | Page 122 | Vital Football

Summer transfer window thread

Interesting to hear the transfer gossip. Keep it coming.
Two things I am pretty certain of.
Firstly the due diligence on players appears to be the best we have had in some time. Obviously you can only rate / compare the ability of players from their respective leagues.
Secondly, I know that if the players are willing to learn Cooper will teach and improve them.

I fully expect Awoniyi to develop massively under Cooper and be sold back to Liverpool for £100 million

Sky Sport reporter Florian Plettenberg has revealed that there is no longer any "willingness to talk" and that bosses at Mainz don't want talks to continue after receiving a 'ridiculous' first offer from Forest. It is claimed that the transfer fee was "far below" €10 million (£8.6 million)
Dane needs a slap if true. There’s a big difference between a conservative first offer to gauge things and a ‘take the piss’ lowball offer.

If we had offered the originally reported €10m I wouldn’t have had a problem and I doubt Mainz would either. There’s a rumour doing the rounds though that we offered between €4m and €5m which is stupid if true.

From what I could piece together, Samba’s wage doubled from £17k to £34k on promotion. He only has a year left on his contract and we waited til we knew what division we were in before offering a new one. Because his wage had just doubled we offered him a new contract on the same terms ie £34k per week.

Samba then decided to pitch a fit…
I read that Samba was on £7.5k with the promotion clause bringing it up to £15k. Horvath on £17.1k. Samba allegedly was offered £30k but turned it down, supposedly wants £60k, clearly too much. Bet he won’t get anything like that in France

Dane needs a slap if true. There’s a big difference between a conservative first offer to gauge things and a ‘take the piss’ lowball offer.

If we had offered the originally reported €10m I wouldn’t have had a problem and I doubt Mainz would either. There’s a rumour doing the rounds though that we offered between €4m and €5m which is stupid if true.
Unless we end up getting him at a reduced price, in which case he'll have done a great job. That's business.

It might be that our strategy is to bid for loads of players at way under price and see if any bargains turn up.
Its becoming clear from rumours and associated quoted prices we aren't going to be able to easily get the players we need for £100million.

Think Dane has more experience of football transfers than yourself. He knows Mainz will be offering the player to several clubs, trying to drive price up and purchasing clubs will be offering lower trying to keep price down. The asking price was reported to be £8m £9m. An inquiry offer of half that is standard. Quickly it becomes apparent how many other clubs are really bidding and how many are making enquiries. If no clubs are interested he can raise his bid to £6m and if they stick start increasingly to add add ons to make the difference. If others are interested then he may have to keep bidding till he reaches clubs maximum. By entering low, may piss them off but you continue in the game. The final price is likely to be Above £8m. By going in at £8m all one does is drive the price up.

Very few poker players walk away from the table because stakes are starting low. They increase the stake.

Laryea and ojeda have been made available for loan

Gibbs white will costs 20mill

We are interested in that young man City right back

The union Berlin striker is alternative to keinan who is too expensive

They have got it very right. Samba is OK. He has his good moments but he has too many bad. He fails to dominate 6 yard box, let’s too many crosses go free and is suspect at near post. His temperament is questionable and not sure all of this balances his excellent distribution. Premiership defences will play on his weaknesses and set pieces and crosses will become such a problem it will cost us 20 goals over a season. The central defenders are bailing him out.

Henderson is another class. The defence, instead of bailing him out will be concentrating on their own job. Forest wanted a top keeper last year but could not afford fee or wages. Now we can. Having one of the best is crucial. If successful in signing, we can expect the back three to be far more solid. Still requires some pace in there but has good foundation.

it is no surprise that the talked about transfers this week is goalkeeper, centreback, centre forward. Straight down the spine of the team. Get this sorted first before looking at wingbacks, midfield and wide men.

Goalkeeper is priority. If it wasn’t for his distribution I would place both Horvath and Smith in front of Samba. Flappy hands has to go.

Samba’s clanger at Bramall Lane changed the second leg entirely. However, he basically got us to Wembley on his own in that game. Trouble is, PL teams need fewer chances to put games to bed. He’s a cult figure and it’s a real shame, but this whole situation has evolved like this because he’s thrown his toys out the pram. His agent must have heard Cooper was asking about other keepers and seen the writing on the wall, and he’s jumped before he was pushed. Mixing metaphors horribly there but it’s the only thing that makes any logical sense

Samba’s clanger at Bramall Lane changed the second leg entirely. However, he basically got us to Wembley on his own in that game. Trouble is, PL teams need fewer chances to put games to bed. He’s a cult figure and it’s a real shame, but this whole situation has evolved like this because he’s thrown his toys out the pram. His agent must have heard Cooper was asking about other keepers and seen the writing on the wall, and he’s jumped before he was pushed. Mixing metaphors horribly there but it’s the only thing that makes any logical sense
So if I'm getting this right he jumped out of the pram because the wall had writing on it saying someone was going to push him.
But its ok because his toys were on the floor anyway from when he threw them.

It might be that our strategy is to bid for loads of players at way under price and see if any bargains turn up.
Its becoming clear from rumours and associated quoted prices we aren't going to be able to easily get the players we need for £100million.

It's what we need to have a go at doing and it'd be genius if it works as you're getting players on the relatively cheap who should only improve and in value. There's nothing to say a £5m player is worse than a £40m player, or won't be worth that in two seasons.

However, we've had two or three fewer weeks to prepare than Fulham and Bournemouth, so you'd hope that a plan B is in place in case this doesn't work, because we're going to need to start making signings soon.

Laryea and ojeda have been made available for loan

Gibbs white will costs 20mill

We are interested in that young man City right back

The union Berlin striker is alternative to keinan who is too expensive
That's 2 right wing backs as well as 2 left wing backs.
We must have targets lined up if Laryea is off on loan.

Last edited:
Think Dane has more experience of football transfers than yourself. He knows Mainz will be offering the player to several clubs, trying to drive price up and purchasing clubs will be offering lower trying to keep price down. The asking price was reported to be £8m £9m. An inquiry offer of half that is standard. Quickly it becomes apparent how many other clubs are really bidding and how many are making enquiries. If no clubs are interested he can raise his bid to £6m and if they stick start increasingly to add add ons to make the difference. If others are interested then he may have to keep bidding till he reaches clubs maximum. By entering low, may piss them off but you continue in the game. The final price is likely to be Above £8m. By going in at £8m all one does is drive the price up.

Very few poker players walk away from the table because stakes are starting low. They increase the stake.

Exactly, like buttons the negotiations are over.

In Dane We Trust. IDST.

I read that Samba was on £7.5k with the promotion clause bringing it up to £15k. Horvath on £17.1k. Samba allegedly was offered £30k but turned it down, supposedly wants £60k, clearly too much. Bet he won’t get anything like that in France
Either way he looks to have shot his bolt with us.

Part of his justification was apparently that Henderson is on £100k but we aren’t going to be paying him that…

Unless we end up getting him at a reduced price, in which case he'll have done a great job. That's business.
The fact that Mainz don’t want to talk to us suggests that’s far from likely. We had a good idea of the amount they would accept but still decided to play silly buggers. It’s only the fact that the player wants the move that may keep the deal alive but I wouldn’t hold my breath…

Either way he looks to have shot his bolt with us.

Part of his justification was apparently that Henderson is on £100k but we aren’t going to be paying him that…
Samba has washed his dirty linen in public and it hasn't reflected well on him.
Cooper and the club won't be at all impressed.
He should not be allowed back into the changing room and needs to go.

The fact that Mainz don’t want to talk to us suggests that’s far from likely. We had a good idea of the amount they would accept but still decided to play silly buggers. It’s only the fact that the player wants the move that may keep the deal alive but I wouldn’t hold my breath…
Mainz will deal Basha, they want £13 million and we will hopefully get him for less than that.

That's assuming the story is true. Danny Taylor's article on The Athletic this morning suggests that he is likely to sign.

Even if it is true, it seems unlikely that Mainz would refuse to deal with us at all. Are we to believe that if we went back and met their asking price that they'd say no simply because it's Forest?

And yet all of that experience has seen him piss off the club that he is dealing with so the patronising start to your comment falls over right there.

There’s a time to lowball and a time to ‘read the room’ and put in a tempting offer at the lower end of what we know they are looking for. It seems Dane doesn’t know how to do this or just doesn’t want to.