The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread | Page 173 | Vital Football

The He Who Shall Not Be Named Thread

After listening to that interview, I can’t help but like all of what Steven says. Said it before but he talks more sense than I ever thought he would tbh. Just hope the players can translate it onto the pitch because ultimately if the team, performances and his tactical nous doesnt lead to an improvement in results/league position his legacy wont be much higher than Tim Sherwood‘s. Tim always talked a good game as well. With the tools at his disposal come August, we really should see a marked improvement next season.

No excuses next season really.....

SG isn't afraid of the pressure at all is he? And he is convincing the club to match his ambition. He could have came here and signed up some "nice" players or said "you know what lets just focus on bringing through the young lads". Nope. I want heavy hitters and winners, I want to be at the top and I want this club in that pressure cooker of fighting for European places and trophies.

Not 100% convinced by what he has done on the touchline but I am admiring and loving everything else.

Finally we seem to be doing what we've been begging for for decades.

SG isn't afraid of the pressure at all is he? And he is convincing the club to match his ambition. He could have came here and signed up some "nice" players or said "you know what lets just focus on bringing through the young lads". Nope. I want heavy hitters and winners, I want to be at the top and I want this club in that pressure cooker of fighting for European places and trophies.

Not 100% convinced by what he has done on the touchline but I am admiring and loving everything else.

Without doubt, the name Steven Gerrard is attracting quality players. If the worse comes to the worse and we have to dispense with his services, we have a much better chance of attracting a top manager with a quality side.

He spent his entire career at Liverpool - they know a thing or two about levels and where those levels are.

You've got to mix it up a bit with cheaper/younger players etc but ultimately you're either good enough or you're not - the Jack Grealishes of this world come along once in a generation so you either pony up the cash or you keep talking instead of walking.

I would be happy enough for both of them to stay as cover, but I’m not sure they would be to be honest.
Nakamba possibly would be, because he’s already been there, but I don’t think Luiz would. If we do go for another defensive type midfielder and go with a double pivot, Luiz would be competing with McGinn, Ramsey, Buendia and Coutinho for the 2/3 more attacking midfield places. I’m sure he would get game time but he’d perhaps be 5th choice out of that group. Having said that, if he seeks another club of similar level/ ambition, he could well find himself in the same boat. I would say though, if he can’t commit himself to signing a new contract, then we must try and sell him and get what we can, as in another 12 months he will be able to walk away for nothing.
Agree. It's the contract situation. We need a good bench with 5 subs allowed this coming season. But we're not in a position to waste 30 mill as Luiz runs his contract down. But if you were him why would you sign without knowing how involved you'll be next season. Sell and re invest in another player.

now he has his own players and there's a full pre-season in the offing -
out of excuses for not performing ?

got to be 10th to 8th finish at least you think

He’ll be aiming for 1st, be happy with 4th, and would accept a Europa spot somewhat begrudgingly. Or a cup would do as long as it was alongside a 7th. Anything less, he’ll be disappointed and angry. As far as he’s concerned we finished 9th this season so he has to improve on that. You have to aim to win every game as a cup final and that’ll be his mantra.

It's a marked step up in the quality (on paper anyway) that we are signing. Champions league players and not Championship players , and to be fair this was always the intention of the owners to stabilise in the PL and then upgrade the quality.

I think the stability bit is the easiest part though , we have proved you can comfortably stay up just by being pretty average , but breaking into the upper echelons of the league will be hard , and this is where the pressure is on Gerrard to get us there and he has said many times that he can't wait to have a proper pre season and then judge.

Can't wait for next season already , in fact I am bang up for it.