So, Who Will Stay & Who Will Go? | Page 8 | Vital Football

So, Who Will Stay & Who Will Go?

Thinking about the new manager having space and budget to forge his own side in light of MA departing, I'm pretty sure most if not all of the following players will now leave the club during the Summer:
BNC, Cullen, Whittaker, Griffiths, Fiorini, McGrandles, Jackson, Melbourne, Marquis, Bridcutt, Maguire. That's 11 straight away.

Questions marks remain over whether Sorensen, Sanders, Adelakun and Archibald will have been told to look for other clubs or have the chance to prove themselves; another 4 there.

The situation with Walsh is anybody's guess.

Additionally with Poole and Scully in the final year of their contracts there is the potential that one or both could attract a fee.

Straight away there is massive leeway and flexibility within those groups to recoup some budget and create room within the squad for incoming players.

That would still leave us with the following senior players and ex scholars with a realistic chance of being involved:

Wright, Long, Bramall, Robson, Eyoma, Montsma, Roughan, Bishop, House, Kendall, Hopper.

You can argue there will be 5 or 6 of those vying for a starting berth. Taken in the round I would say the incoming manager will have ample wriggle room to put his own mark on proceedings from the get go.

It will be interesting to see if we do release the retained list before a new manager is in place.
Surely any new manager would want to be involved in that. I suppose it is all down to timelines. The sooner we get the names out there whom we want to release the more chance of getting them out the door. But would that undermine any new manager before he started?

Questions marks remain over whether Sorensen, Sanders, Adelakun and Archibald will have been told to look for other clubs or have the chance to prove themselves; another 4 there.

Perhaps with three of them experiencing little game time they might not want to stay irrespective of who the new manager is. The fourth may have enjoyed his football and may not want to come back.

Perhaps with three of them experiencing little game time they might not want to stay irrespective of who the new manager is. The fourth may have enjoyed his football and may not want to come back.
Indeed, they will need to be considered on an individual basis but it wouldn't surprise me if some of them moved on and others wanted to see what a regime change brings for them before going or staying.

I would point out that the first three cannot claim they never got a game: Sorensen 34 appearances, Adelakun 29, Sanders 24. They had the opportunities, they never took them.

Post from Morgan Whittaker on Instagram:
I thought if MA is still here and Swansea were looking to cut their losses on him we might be in for him this summer permanently, especially with his links round here, but I suspect this is less likely now.
You would have thought with footballers money his girlfriend wouldn’t have had to patch together bits of cloth to make trousers

You would have thought with footballers money his girlfriend wouldn’t have had to patch together bits of cloth to make trousers

there is a crime being committed in that photo - flip flop and socks. Perhaps he is joining a German team?

I would point out that the first three cannot claim they never got a game: Sorensen 34 appearances, Adelakun 29, Sanders 24. They had the opportunities, they never took them.
I don’t know but, I sense that a lot of these appearances must have been from the bench!

You expect a new Manager to have a say in the make up of the playing staff and who goes and who stays. Depending how long it takes to appoint one this will leave some of the players in limbo at the moment.

That is usually the case but not always. When we got relegated to the GMVC in 1987, the Board drew up the retained list,prior to the appointment of Colin Murphy. They got rid of Kevin Kilmour,Ian Mcinnes,Bobby Mitchell,Richard Cooper and Simeon Hodson. I would say things worked out quite well subsequently.

Sam Long on loan again or are he and Wright going to share the 'keeping duties? We don't really want him getting splinters in his 'arris on the bench but is he ready?

Another interesting question will be if clubs would be wary of coming in for players who've been getting injured all season. This puts much of the squad in a precarious position...