Mitrovic | Page 3 | Vital Football

Mitrovic

Interesting thread for me this one with two decent arguments presented for and against.

Personally I never liked Mitrovic, his attitude pissed me off big time, and that goal celebration :mad:

The biggest challenges I thought he faced with us were, a lack of supply under both managers he played for, and one manager who wanted him to defend from the front, whereas he's a out and out goalscorer.

Best not name the managers :halo:

Truly great players don't have excuses. The manager this, the tactics that etc etc . Mitrovic can do a job if played the right way, under the right manager in the right side. He's never proven himself to be a consistently good Premier League striker. He's another Glen Murray or Sylvan Ebanks Blake, someone who does well in the Championship and could grab a few here and there in the Premier League but not enough to get his team to kick on or for a bigger side to buy him.

Mitrovic was a major reason for our relegation under McClaren, in particular his lack of disciplin. He just doesn't cut it at the top level.

Truly great players don't have excuses. The manager this, the tactics that etc etc . Mitrovic can do a job if played the right way, under the right manager in the right side. He's never proven himself to be a consistently good Premier League striker. He's another Glen Murray or Sylvan Ebanks Blake, someone who does well in the Championship and could grab a few here and there in the Premier League but not enough to get his team to kick on or for a bigger side to buy him.
Agree with a lot of this but not even Mc Mitrovic would class him as a great player :grinning:

I wouldn't have him ahead of Dwight Gayle !

That said his international record is not to be sneered at.

Agree with a lot of this but not even Mc Mitrovic would class him as a great player :grinning:

I wouldn't have him ahead of Dwight Gayle !

That said his international record is not to be sneered at.

Not sure if I was meant to get a mention or not but to jump in anyway...

My only real point regarding Mitrovic is I would have liked to see him given a chance with us to prove one way or the other

He's had a yo-yo career with Fulham and for me it would have been interesting to see if he could have properly adapted given a prolonged run in the PL

It takes a top man manager to get the best out of maverick players like Mitro, or say Craig Bellamy. I would have liked to see him play under KK or SBR.

Not sure if I was meant to get a mention or not but to jump in anyway...

My only real point regarding Mitrovic is I would have liked to see him given a chance with us to prove one way or the other

He's had a yo-yo career with Fulham and for me it would have been interesting to see if he could have properly adapted given a prolonged run in the PL
Mc Mitrovic ?
Just my odd sense of humour Mc. :clown:

I actually agree with part of your argument, he was never really given a chance especially so at a time when we had Slimani and Joselu competing for striking roles.

Realistically though Benitez's was never really going to play him , he just wasn't mobile enough for his defensive type of system , I doubt Benitez would have played St Max so Mitro had no chance.

Ultimately I think Benitez got it right though.

Most premiership managers would struggle to accommodate his lack of mobility IMO, that's not intended as a slur, I just think he's an old fashioned type of centre forward.

This is what McClaren had to say about him

“We signed him and he was a young player and we wanted him as the number two. Unfortunately, we got injuries and we had to put him as the number one. He was immature and wasn’t ready for that. Hot-headed at the time. He got sent off. Discipline. He got frustrated and got down. And it’s a different level."

Another 2 for him tonight with 14 games left

I hadn't realised that the previous record (set last year) was by Ivan Toney

Mc Mitrovic ?
Just my odd sense of humour Mc. :clown:

I actually agree with part of your argument, he was never really given a chance especially so at a time when we had Slimani and Joselu competing for striking roles.

Realistically though Benitez's was never really going to play him , he just wasn't mobile enough for his defensive type of system , I doubt Benitez would have played St Max so Mitro had no chance.

Ultimately I think Benitez got it right though.

Most premiership managers would struggle to accommodate his lack of mobility IMO, that's not intended as a slur, I just think he's an old fashioned type of centre forward.

This is what McClaren had to say about him

“We signed him and he was a young player and we wanted him as the number two. Unfortunately, we got injuries and we had to put him as the number one. He was immature and wasn’t ready for that. Hot-headed at the time. He got sent off. Discipline. He got frustrated and got down. And it’s a different level."

Who was he supposed to be number two to?

He has done well in The Championship but I doubt he will cut in in The Premiership and we need top class strikers instead at the moment we have zero strikers available. Need 2 at least as Wilson is injury prone.