Transfer Window - January 2022 | Page 144 | Vital Football

Transfer Window - January 2022

I'm not a fan but would rather we play him over Doherty. Rather give the young lad some time to develop.

Looking around there isn't many RWBs. Only the Liverpool lad Trent gets high assist stats.

Lamptey only has 1 and everyone is raving about him.

Trent plays with some of the best-attacking players in the league; just because Lamptey only has one assist doesn't make him less of a player. He is an outstanding footballer, consistently achieving high-performance ratings for his club.

Kulu seems more suited to the tucked In role of that right side of the front 3 in Contes system. As its not really a winger role is it?
Seems more suited then Sonny anyway.
I wonder if Son would suit the Central role more staying high with Kane and Berg filling the tucked in left side?
I'm no tactician but is this possible?

Weghorst had been linked to Spurs in the recent past. However, his decision to go public with his anit-vax propaganda stopped that all in its tracks (Any interest from any club basically). With an impending vaccination mandate, he would have no choice but to go somewhere else and play. Therefore, his value plummeted, and frankly there were only a couple clubs willing to entertain the possibility.

Sometimes there's other things that influence choices. Good player tho. Will be interesting to see how he does in the Prem, prolly the best spot for him tbh.

Oh no, not another one. Was really disappointed when Le Tissier started sharing all that conspiracy nonsense as him and Beardsley were my favorite non Spurs players back in the day.

Don't really need anyone in that dressing room who thinks Bill Gates is putting microchips in vaccines activated by 5g waves. Cretins.

I agree on the creativity. The only one remotely creative was Ndombele. Dele had lost it and Gio was a half second behind the pace most of the time.

We just may be more direct now. And hopefully not lose possession so much.

Its an interesting question. What does 'creativity' mean tho? We have strong dribblers up front in Kane, Son, Lucas, & StevieB. Each can take the 1v1 and make something happen. We have 2 CMs that can pick a direct killer-pass in Winks & Skipp. We have some quality long-ball passers in our backline. Only real question mark is how to improve the service from the wings.

Kulu can play the wide forward, second striker, or even a #10 type role. His preferred spot is behind the CF it seems.

We def were in and working hard on a few other 'attacking' type this window, and were close on a ACM & CF.

If the team continues to gel, and the style of 1-2 touch movement continues, then it is up to the coach to get them to find the "Creative" opportunities within those cycles. Some setups are based around a #10 pivot, like Poch w Eriksen, but this is not that at all.

I'd honestly be a bit more concerned about stopping goals from going in, then putting them in at the moment. Our Summer LCB should really improve that.

I don't understand Doherty. He's neither fast, nor strong, nor good in the air, nor able to run all day, nor good at crossing, nor good at shooting, nor good at taking players on, nor a particularly good passer of the ball, nor strong at defending 1 v 1s, nor does he seem like a leader. Genuinely, what was he good at at Wolves? I really don't get what his specialty is.

But we wouldn't understand Doherty when he's been asked to play in the mess that has been Spurs in these last couple of seasons. Matt's game is about football brain, possession and ghosting into positions that full backs don't get into. He is good in the air, he's great at reverse passes and he has a good cross in him. The guy has a decent football brain on him, totally negated based on who he normally plays with on the right hand side of our lineup.

Perhaps Bentancur can use his smarts and speed, cover for him and help Matt be successful and get into those forward areas as a RWB. He was not the best buy, but I do believe has something to offer. The safe move would be to stick with the athlete, Emerson. The brave move would be to trust Matt to show us what he's about. That is what I would be doing.

But we wouldn't understand Doherty when he's been asked to play in the mess that has been Spurs in these last couple of seasons. Matt's game is about football brain, possession and ghosting into positions that full backs don't get into. He is good in the air, he's great at reverse passes and he has a good cross in him. The guy has a decent football brain on him, totally negated based on who he normally plays with on the right hand side of our lineup.

Perhaps Bentancur can use his smarts and speed, cover for him and help Matt be successful and get into those forward areas as a RWB. He was not the best buy, but I do believe has something to offer. The safe move would be to stick with the athlete, Emerson. The brave move would be to trust Matt to show us what he's about. That is what I would be doing.
Exactly right Muttley, he was known for ghosting in at the back post and getting on the end of crosses at Wolves, he is good in the air if we had someone who could cross into that area.

Its an interesting question. What does 'creativity' mean tho? We have strong dribblers up front in Kane, Son, Lucas, & StevieB. Each can take the 1v1 and make something happen. We have 2 CMs that can pick a direct killer-pass in Winks & Skipp. We have some quality long-ball passers in our backline. Only real question mark is how to improve the service from the wings.

Kulu can play the wide forward, second striker, or even a #10 type role. His preferred spot is behind the CF it seems.

We def were in and working hard on a few other 'attacking' type this window, and were close on a ACM & CF.

If the team continues to gel, and the style of 1-2 touch movement continues, then it is up to the coach to get them to find the "Creative" opportunities within those cycles. Some setups are based around a #10 pivot, like Poch w Eriksen, but this is not that at all.

I'd honestly be a bit more concerned about stopping goals from going in, then putting them in at the moment. Our Summer LCB should really improve that.

After twenty something games, the league disagrees. There are eleven teams that have scored the same or more than us. Another 3 that could close the difference in one game. However, defensively there are only 5 teams better than us. The top 3 and a couple of others.

The harsh reality is that we need goals way more than we need to stop conceding them. Of course, our defence can be improved, especially with that LCB that is a weakness in the side.

Most of all, we need players who can assist, and regularly. Our midfield trio have been awful at it along with Moura, who is always bad at it. Kane's attitude has cost him his assists from the start of 2021. I'm sceptical that he will go back to being an assister.

Whatever conscious transfer choices were made in January, it will be mostly to do with getting the attacking rhythm of the team right. Even someone like Doherty could play a part. Romero another that could add more quality into our forward play from his position as a centre half.

It will be intriguing finding out whether Conte can unlock the goals.

Trent plays with some of the best-attacking players in the league; just because Lamptey only has one assist doesn't make him less of a player. He is an outstanding footballer, consistently achieving high-performance ratings for his club.

He is a good talent Rich but if we are to close the gap on the big 3, which must be the long term aim we need our wing backs getting into double figures with goals and assists.

That is the bar these days.

On the same theme....Bentancur scored his first international goal last night, apparently a shot from the edge of the area after just 4 minutes. He got a rating of 8 for his performance. Could it be we have at last got someone who can shoot from distance and get it on target?

Apparently GLC had the game of his life for Argentina last night. Typical 🤣

The standard of international football compared to the PL is poor imo. Lots of players look like world beaters playing in dominant international sides.

Equally the reverse is also true. Diaz was pretty ineffectual last night for Columbia (who as a team are poor and haven’t scored in over 600 minutes) yet no doubt he’ll star in a far better Liverpool team.

He always plays well for his country, that's what makes it so frustrating, why can't we get the same kind of performances out of him?

lol - so is the common denominator THFC or Gio?

Perhaps the other teams he has excelled at try to play football rather than just get obsessed with a tactical, functional, zonal game plan which turns their players into robots. The PL is a dull league nowadays. If I was a professional football, I wouldn't want to play in it.

It's a strange sport, football.

Lyon pay Spurs a loan fee of £1.2m for the services of Ndombele for 6 months. Meanwhile Spurs pay Lyon around £11m a year (pro rata, £54m 5-year deal) for his transfer.

So for the next 6 months we'll be paying Lyon around £4.3m (pro rata, £5.5m - £1.2m) for Ndombele's services whilst he's actually providing his services to Lyon.

It's a strange sport, football.

Lyon pay Spurs a loan fee of £1.2m for the services of Ndombele for 6 months. Meanwhile Spurs pay Lyon around £11m a year (pro rata, £54m 5-year deal) for his transfer.

So for the next 6 months we'll be paying Lyon around £4.3m (pro rata, £5.5m - £1.2m) for Ndombele's services whilst he's actually providing his services to Lyon.

Yep, it's a funny old game....to quote a legend.

Look forwards. What does that £1.2m catalyse if Lyon or another club buy him in the summer? I'm sure we could have sold him for £15m in January and took the loss.

At least Spurs are being pragmatic nowadays. Think back to Bentley.