Aston Villa v Manchester City - Match Thread | Page 28 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Manchester City - Match Thread

It’s the manner of the display in the first half. We were sluggish and showed them far too much respect, applied zero pressure and made too many mistakes. Second half, we got at them and they didn’t like it. Totally respectable loss from that half. First half was a gift.
As I say Marv, I didn't see the game so have no eight to comment however, we're we applying "no pressure" because City can run rings round you and rip you open?

He was a bit ponderous when we needed energy.
I actually think it was to appease him due to the not signing a new contract rumours.
Ramsey has a lot of energy and has also been fantastic recently and was unlucky to be left out entirely.

Carney is clearly a gifted lad but in the senior games I’ve seen he is a bit too ponderous on and off the ball - being the most talented works at the lower levels but in the PL they are all top talents and have the work rate to match it.

Dont think he'll be seeing the bench anytime soon

Strong case for the bench tbh, didnt put the desired effort in at all tonight and I am sure he'll be clipped round the ear for that half heart block he attempted. Against both City and Palace he has tried to run when the pass is on. Gerrard and co. need to sling the hook around him and mould his game a little more. No doubt there is talent there but he could use his teammates for the better of himself and more importantly us.

Definitely think he'll come good just needs more coaching and a much better medical care.

As I say Marv, I didn't see the game so have no eight to comment however, we're we applying "no pressure" because City can run rings round you and rip you open?

They did come at us from the get go and pretty much battered us for chunks of time but we were making sloppy passes and poor decisions - and spending way too long dicking about in front of our goal. Martinez booted the ball out for a corner at one point as he was left with no other choice.

First half typical Villa v City couldn't get the ball off them I think we go close enough to them to foul them twice.
Second half we won because we actually tackled them .

The first goal was another joke with two-man fannies trying to block a shot.
Second goal brilliant finish but watching SJM busting a gut to get back and Mings loping along then realising Cash was nowhere to be seen was disappointing or a wtf moment to say the least.

Great Corner routine from Dougie and ollie and oh that miss from Chuk could have got us a point but City were far too good and disappointed Ezri didn't do Grealish in the centre circle when he had the chance. Could have smashed the slimy little toad with both knees

Last edited:
I didn't see the game tonight but just reading the reviews, it's amazing what gerrard has done to this midfield. Mcginn playing really well, great reports for Ramsey and nakamba recently, commentary saying Luiz played a blinder too this evening and a tidy cameo from sanson. Fair play.
Other seasons going 2 down to city, the players heads dropped and they sat back and made mistakes, but there is more determination and belief now. Other times the centre back wouldn't hit that as sweet or silva shot gets skyed. We'll be a problem for a lot of teams this season.

Could have got ugly after the first half but credit to the manager and the players for not rolling over and making a game of it.

I don't care who the player is or what age he is Chucky should be scoring from that chance. I t was the only one we were going to get or likely to get . I thought that was a really strange substitution considering there was Ramsey and Anwar who could have come on and played that position. Gerrard said one or two were carrying niggles so the only thing I can think of was Ramsey and Anwar were those players otherwise I struggle to see why Chucky came on.

I thought Douglas had a really good game as did Marvellous. Nice little cameo from Sanson as well. Ollies goal was a superb finish.

I didn't see the game tonight but just reading the reviews, it's amazing what gerrard has done to this midfield. Mcginn playing really well, great reports for Ramsey and nakamba recently, commentary saying Luiz played a blinder too this evening and a tidy cameo from sanson. Fair play.
Other seasons going 2 down to city, the players heads dropped and they sat back and made mistakes, but there is more determination and belief now. Other times the centre back wouldn't hit that as sweet or silva shot gets skyed. We'll be a problem for a lot of teams this season.
We did ok second half but the first half, they had 3 chances before we'd even seen the ball the first after 53 seconds and we hadn't actually touched it.

Could have got ugly after the first half but credit to the manager and the players for not rolling over and making a game of it.

I don't care who the player is or what age he is Chucky should be scoring from that chance. I t was the only one we were going to get or likely to get . I thought that was a really strange substitution considering there was Ramsey and Anwar who could have come on and played that position. Gerrard said one or two were carrying niggles so the only thing I can think of was Ramsey and Anwar were those players otherwise I struggle to see why Chucky came on.

I thought Douglas had a really good game as did Marvellous. Nice little cameo from Sanson as well. Ollies goal was a superb finish.
Yep Dougie and Marv second half very comfortable mixing it with them.
We'd ave done most teams tonight if we'd played like we did second half all game

Pleased with that, could have walked away with a draw, no humiliation, second goal we conceded was on the break as we were trying to get forward, we have to remember they have world class players (and some of their touches, lets be honest, were sublime)

Never went hiding, second half gave as good as we got. Loads of positives.

Feared the worst after the first 15 minutes but we then settled down a bit and it was disappointing to concede when we did. Excellent response second half and could so easily have got something out of the game. Chucky really should have buried his chance but fair play to Emerson, it was still a bloody good save. Plenty of positives against a damn good team…which makes Pep’s pre match comments about their ‘terrible emergency’ all the more ridiculous…quality all over the pitch whether a few are injured or not! But we competed, eventually! and gave them a game….plenty to be optimistic about.