Aston Villa v Manchester City - Match Thread | Page 30 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Manchester City - Match Thread

Ive been criticising the lack of basic organisation and work rate for three years, looks like Gerrard has spotted this straight away.

Not happy losing but at least you can start to see what the team are trying to do on the pitch.
You could the second half but the first half was the normal standing 3 yards off them and them playing keep ball, every time we did get the ball they fouled us to stop us from breaking.

Interesting thing I noticed last night and not sure if anybody else did, but Luiz and McGinn, primarily 1st half, dropping into Cash's and Targett's positions with them higher up the field when we were bringing the ball out from the back. No idea the reasoning behind this, maybe keep possession better or disrupt Citehs line's but it's intriguing and maybe just another example of Gerrard's tactical nous.
Whatever it is I'm extremely impressed by how he's got us playing so far.
That's a Klopp thing. Because TAA and Robertson are so attacking, w the outside player of the deeper three drops in to cover a lot of the time. Works for them!

That's a Klopp thing. Because TAA and Robertson are so attacking, w the outside player of the deeper three drops in to cover a lot of the time. Works for them!
Yep hence McGinn chasing down Silva for that second goal, Targett nowhere to be seen and poor old Ezri playing on his own but yes it's the way Klopp plays and it works for them.
It's very noticeable what we are trying to do ie midfielders covering the fullback and not expecting 2 of the front 3 to do it. I like it

Reminded me of the League cup final, we all expected a tonking and we come out losing 2-1 and we don't feel so bad . We still lost

The epitome of plucky losers

Yes , cold light of day i wouldn’t mind moving on from the game asap. As I said the moment we got promoted. I don’t want to be in this league to have patronising pats on the head or back slapping each other for giving it a right good go against a sky wankfest club yet ultimately getting zero points. Any team can do that, will do that and have done it. I don‘t think last night particularly marks anything out in the grand scheme of things of improvement or the right direction. BHA did (well last 10 mins), Palace did. And now Leicester on Sunday. Those opponents are the perfect indication of where we are under SG in the few weeks he has had in charge and where last nights second half will truly be put into context. Huge game.

Apart from City’s supreme touch and skill their physicality and work rate was phenomenal. Blew us away early on but already in the first half we sprung some great counters through th middle only to end up giving the ball away. Great fight in the second half with each new sub knowing exactly what their role was and playing it well. Delighted to see initial line up including Naka, Luiz and Buendia and surprising but effective substitutions.

The game has taken it's toll on us I imagine. Bailey injured , not sure how bad Targett was but if it is concussion he is done for Sunday and Super John could barely walk at the end , looked like he had picked up a knock.

The game has taken it's toll on us I imagine. Bailey injured , not sure how bad Targett was but if it is concussion he is done for Sunday and Super John could barely walk at the end , looked like he had picked up a knock.

Yeah I felt as though this game was 'expensive' for us, particularly as it's one that we would have/could have written off at the beginning.

Two-man fannies who didn't try hard enough to block that first goal, e played better without them. Ashley at Left back gives us far more composure. Bailey is living up to his reputation. SJM will be there playing on crutches he's a real man

I wonder what time Prince William got home from the game. I can just imagine Kate giving it him in the neck; What time do you call this. It was a late kick of dear.
You come rolling in at this time again and it will kick off, now Fook off to the spare room. Yes dear.

Yep hence McGinn chasing down Silva for that second goal, Targett nowhere to be seen and poor old Ezri playing on his own but yes it's the way Klopp plays and it works for them.
It's very noticeable what we are trying to do ie midfielders covering the fullback and not expecting 2 of the front 3 to do it. I like it
Yeah, well Targett should have pressed Fernandinho to make him play it sideways but just stood off doing nowt and let him pick out Gabriel Jesus.

I did'nt expect anything from this one and the fact we did'nt get a mauling gives us hope.
We can move on and Leicester are up next who are struggling a bit.

This is the problem, we don't expect anything and 2-1 defeat is a moral victory.
I think Steven will have other ideas or I hope he does. We need to leave this small-time mentality that has crept up o us over the last 10 years or so behind.

Reminded me of the League cup final, we all expected a tonking and we come out losing 2-1 and we don't feel so bad . We still lost

The epitome of plucky losers
Nah, we didn't even deserve our 1 in the LC Final and City didn't break a sweat.