20211104 ECL Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs SBV Vitesse | Page 13 | Vital Football

20211104 ECL Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs SBV Vitesse

Result?

• Win

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lose

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would just like to say, and I don't care if I piss anyone off so please bear with me.
I am an ex season ticket holder, member, euro traveller etc visiting our new ground for the first time as circumstances don't allow me too anymore. I found myself watching not the football but our own so called fans throwing things at our own fans, giving ****** signs to our own fans, offering our own fans out whilst singing the songs I sang in the 80's and 90's whilst actually supporting our club.
I had a word and got told by someone they are young they are doing what young people do. Then got offered out which was fucking laughable and I did fucking laugh.
I'm so disappointed

Saw it all, sadly the brain dead have risen again. fcukwits.

I don't want to see Romero RCB again. He needs to be the leading CB.

I had a feeling Davies would get a run at LCB. He is the only natural lefty we have.

Next game I would like to see Sanchez, Romero, Davies.

Not a fan of Hojbjerg and Skippy playing together with 3 already at the back.

I liked the fluency of the front guys.

Some positives to take which has been a rarity for 2 years.

Conte has clearly got into Kane already. He hasn't pressed at all for months and he did at times last night.

What an enjoyable match to watch. In the end we managed to win, but maybe didn't deserve to. We were given lots of space to play in the first half hour, and looked like world beaters. However, once they started to close us down quickly and we had no room to play, all of the weaknesses in the squad that are already known to us surfaced again, and we were mediocre for two thirds of the match. Lloris had a fine game and kept us in it.
Conte couldn't have had a better first game with us, not thru the performance or result, but he should have learnt a lot about us in this match.

First 27 mins or so we looked like Real Madrid, when they scored you could literally see the confidence drain from the players faces; as I've said too many times before we simply don't know how to defend as a whole team unit.

You can appreciate why Nuno thought his mission was to make us 'more solid', but as of now, unless or until players realise that everyone has to think defensive when facing an opponent press close to our box, we'll keep letting in dumb goals - as Moura's was.

The 3-5-2 has to be seen as a work in progress and will need tweaking, but our single biggest weakness in this system is not having left-sided CB (how many times have I said that since Vert went!!) and that HJ has no mobility worth relying on so cannot cover the ground - Skippy can't do it on his own and Son's defensive closing down is about as good as mine would be now.

Ridiculous game really, hugely enjoyable if you were a neutral (and I took a mate who was and he loved it as a football game with everything in it) but extremely uncomfortable for a Spurs fan after a performance that underlines how quickly our faith and energy drops when we have a set-back, as opposed to our opponents who actually pulled themselves together after looking like they would be destroyed and who actually upped their energy levels.

Last night once again tended to make me think that Conte's not impressed with basic fitness, might well have a great deal of truth to it, even at 3-1 up we looked heavy-legged and spent and they looked fresh as daisies.

Man mad night, but even with a hangover, I'm smiling this morning!

Last edited:
I don't want to see Romero RCB again. He needs to be the leading CB.

I had a feeling Davies would get a run at LCB. He is the only natural lefty we have.

Next game I would like to see Sanchez, Romero, Davies.

Not a fan of Hojbjerg and Skippy playing together with 3 already at the back.

I liked the fluency of the front guys.

Some positives to take which has been a rarity for 2 years.

Conte has clearly got into Kane already. He hasn't pressed at all for months and he did at times last night.

Harry did, but he's still off the pace and not making the runs he once did - fatigue/fitness issues?

Had to laugh listening to Contes post match interview with spurs tv . He said we have fantastic stadium, training ground and fans but nothing about the team. How to say we are shot without saying we are shit. Just said we need a lot of work.

And he's right we do, at every level; tactically I think 3-5-2 and when to hold, when to run and how to double up the wingbacks when necessary was simply not understood, we were all over the place - let along what a holding midfielder has to do when the counter-press and transition comes. We leave too many gaps and aren't looking to read the play, it was driving me nuts for much of last night as it was really basic stuff at times.

It can be taught, but you need top-level fitness to play 3-5-2 well, first and foremost I suspect Cante will look at positioning and work hard to up fitness levels so that midfielders / wing-backs can recover quicker to plug the countre press gaps.

I hope his coaches can see these basics and address them.

As I noted during the game, our passing and movement was much quicker, But our lot had been cumbersome and statues for so long that either the passes were poorly executed (too high or poorly pinged to the runner) or they were poorly controlled by the recipient. Became more apparent as their press intensity increased. This will improve with time and the first half hour was fun that we've been missing for some time.

Great also to see Conte directing them instead of that fazed look predecessor watching a capitulation.

A lot of work to do and hope some of them will have recharged their batteries for Everton game, something else that will be telling.

I will have to watch their first goal closely. Dier may have got tangled up but I'm not sure. Moura and Royal need a rocket for the second but its early days playing that formation. I'm not sure about 2 DMs with 3 at the back. We could have done with a baller in there like Loco, Ndombele or even Dele.
Kane worked harder, held the ball up, drew fouls. Seemed more up for it. Got an assist and credit for the own goal. If he was giving Levy the finger, would he have done all that ?

If you man-mark, someone has to pick up the runners and stop the running - simply getting your body infront can be enough - they worked the block well and made him the space; don't expect Dier to be marking them on his own as the 'tall man' - our two flanking CB's are too small and too easily drawn away in these set pieces.

As I noted during the game, our passing and movement was much quicker, But our lot had been cumbersome and statues for so long that either the passes were poorly executed (too high or poorly pinged to the runner) or they were poorly controlled by the recipient. Became more apparent as their press intensity increased. This will improve with time and the first half hour was fun that we've been missing for some time.

Great also to see Conte directing them instead of that fazed look predecessor watching a capitulation.

A lot of work to do and hope some of them will have recharged their batteries for Everton game, something else that will be telling.

Have to say when I could, watching Conte was almost as much fun as watching the game, hoped he'd have a transformative effect at half-time, but I guess we can't have everything on one night!

Emerson seems to have a great engine. Last ball needs a bit of work and decision making perhaps. The PL is more of a test though so I'm not getting carried away yet.

To be honest, I saw little there last night to make me believe that we'll be beating up the PL anytime soon, every game we play I suspect will go one way or the other based on simple 10-second actions - until we can physically and mentally sustain a higher tempo.

One web report rated Royal a 4. Stating he lacked end product, was unsure of his positioning defensively, let Berro drift inside the box unchecked for second goal, offered Romero inadequate protection on the right.

I can't disagree with any of that but gave his engine some credit.
Romero displayed some issues which need working on.

One web report rated Royal a 4. Stating he lacked end product, was unsure of his positioning defensively, let Berro drift inside the box unchecked for second goal, offered Romero inadequate protection on the right.

He is right about needing to improve his end product but the defensive issue is one for the whole team and knowing when to shift across as opposed to remaining in 'static' positioning as a threat develops - he showed energy, but no question he has to improve that final ball.

He looked pretty good going forward last night, the best we've seen from him so far. But, most of the Arnheim threat came down our right hand side. The combination of Reguilon and Davies looked pretty solid on our left, but this wasn't matched on the right.

Harry did, but he's still off the pace and not making the runs he once did - fatigue/fitness issues?

LOL if I am Conte...I would be asking Kane a simple question...."Why are you not fit and in shape?"

To me this is a very important question. I understand you are pissed off and pouting...but you are supposed to be a professional footballer...

Conte needs to solve this and hammer this nail HARD!

Last edited: