The players and managers speculation thread | Page 54 | Vital Football

The players and managers speculation thread

I like Steve Cotterill…Did anybody see his interview after being on a covid ward for 5 months? Frightening account of his time in hospital! Imagine being so scared of falling asleep not expecting to wake up again! Think I can excuse him having a bit of a rant!

I share your admiration for SC in relation to Covid; he was seriously ill with the disease for a long time and soldiered through admirably - for which he should be respected. But he was a bit of a knob last Saturday, though, thinking more about it, you are right.

Free agents?
It appears we can sign them any names out there that might be of interest ?
I have looked at this guy
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Lokilo
Good age appears to have good ability and pace .Been with Donny last term .
Any ideas for a left back or indeed a utility defender.i know we have McKenzie but if Jackson needs cover then I am not sure McKenzie gives us that attacking outlet .For me left back or general full back has to be priority over winger or attacking player.

I see several clubs including Charlton are starting to sign released players. Are there any rumours/hints about us?

I am looking for more "scouting reports" from Chris and Lancs.

"Couldn't agree terms " should rule us out. Smallest budget and all that.

I'll focus on our players in demand.

Oliver - stays
Dempsey - sold
Graham - leaves
Okeefe - leaves
Tucker - stays
Ogilve - stays

looking back to post 2 on this thread
Correct
Wrong
Correct
Wrong
Correct
Wrong
50% Mark 👍

So is Tom Eaves, now

Sadly Tom is yet another player who seems to have peaked at the Gills and gone on to earn more money, but frankly done fuck all since. For every one player who had the best season of his career at the Gills and went on to better things (and I'm talking about on the pitch rather than their bank balance), there are probably 10, who have gone on to do little and ultimately slide down the leagues. Early days, but it's looking like Ogilvie may be the next in the line to add to Holy and Eaves in recent seaons and many more before them, who can check their bank balances on their mobile phones, whilst sitting on the bench....

I fully understand your point ST but having mooched around a lot of non league football in my younger days, I can tell you that money is a huge motivation .

Had I been good enough and committed enough to play at a full professional level, I'd have done exactly the same as these guys.

Many championship clubs pay half a million a year for some pretty mediocre players.
The championship average is £35k a week. £1.8 million a year.
That's the average, with some on more than double that.
I'm not suggesting Eaves is on that sort of money but I'd reckon at least £300,000 a year.
I'd sit on the bench for three seasons for a million quid.

Sadly Tom is yet another player who seems to have peaked at the Gills and gone on to earn more money, but frankly done fuck all since. For every one player who had the best season of his career at the Gills and went on to better things (and I'm talking about on the pitch rather than their bank balance), there are probably 10, who have gone on to do little and ultimately slide down the leagues. Early days, but it's looking like Ogilvie may be the next in the line to add to Holy and Eaves in recent seaons and many more before them, who can check their bank balances on their mobile phones, whilst sitting on the bench....
The best two years of Tom's career were certainly at Gills, 38 goals in 84 league games, 29 in 201, at his other eight different clubs. I suppose a Championship squad player is a step up though. I think in Connor's case he'll come good, he has to compete with the ever reliable Lee Brown at left back, so might have to play a different role.

Last edited:
It certainly does look like Tom

The best two years of Tom's career were certainly at Gills, 38 goals in 84 league games, 29 in 201, at his other eight different clubs. I suppose a Championship squad player is a step up though.

I think the problem with Eaves is that for us he was the main striker and our game was set up to create for him. And he duely delivered.

From what I read at Hull, he was seen as a target man whose role was to flick the ball on / hold up and pass on the ball. When you switch roles from being the main finisher to someone expected to help create for others then you would struggle on the main attribute of scoring.

I suppose when a player retires, he will be looking at his bank balance rather than his successes. But luckily for all those players they can turn around say I had an excellent season with Gillingham!!

Last edited:
I suppose when a player retires, he will be looking at his bank balance rather than his successes. But luckily for all those players they can turn around I had an excellent season with Gillingham!!
Even back in the day, footballers made quite a bit more than the average guy.
The objective was generally to make enough to purchase a home outright, then without mortgage, find alternative employment.
Many took a shop or a pub.
Many others just got an ordinary job.
I know of two good ex pros who became postmen.
The sea change has been that modern footballers are looking to make enough when playing to keep them going without having to take a job.
Premier league players become millionaires.
Championship players become wealthy.
League one and two hopefully make enough to buy that house.
Jack Bonham will probably make enough with his latest contract to be comfortable without ever playing a first team match.
We cannot compete with that.

I like Steve Cotterill…Did anybody see his interview after being on a covid ward for 5 months? Frightening account of his time in hospital! Imagine being so scared of falling asleep not expecting to wake up again! Think I can excuse him having a bit of a rant!
Not sure that gives him the right to talk to people like sh&t.

Just read that Charlton have sold 2,175 tickets for the game at our place with just 200 more available.
Should be a great atmosphere.

Just read that Charlton have sold 2,175 tickets for the game at our place with just 200 more available.
Should be a great atmosphere.

Strangely last train direct to Charlton is 22:00 so they might have a extended journey home if they miss that.