Stadium is looking shabby | Page 19 | Vital Football

Stadium is looking shabby

Tell them it's a million quid a year and if they don't like that, they're welcome to feck off cap in hand to Horwich or Leigh.

They're parasites and have been for 20+ years. Time's up: Talal has no connection to the town of Wigan other than the football club; certainly nothing that would make him think about doing the rugby any favours. He owes the knuckle draggers nothing, and their paltry £200k would barely register on his balance sheet. It's not worth the damage they do to our pitch.

On a separate note, for all their sins (and there are many), the admins definitely got it right in not entertaining the knuckle draggers' offer for the stadium. Credit where it's due: even the admins saw through the thinly veiled attempt to further screw our club and stonewalled it. It seems even the admins were more above board and honorable than the knuckle draggers... which isn't a high benchmark, admittedly.

If our valuation and theirs are miles apart then as a business they can take it to a valuation tribunal who will set the going rate.

Edit: Sorry just fact checked this and found that it no longer applies. The resolution process for dispute around rental increases in commercial leases are now enshrined in the lease itself. Therefore it follows that if the existing lease has been transferred, which I suspect it has, the negotiations that Radlinski is referring to will be based on the resolution process that was written into the contract originally.
But the original contract is null & void because DW no longer owns the Stadium.
That's why they're renegotiating now.

Last edited:
The subsidy they have had for years finished when our owners took over. Any new rent is nothing to do with any previous rent with different owners. The lease for the land may be under council control but has to be reasonable and fair to the new owners. Also any shares held by the council just like the ones I had for Wigan Athletic are now dead. I am no longer a shareholder able to attend the AGM. and neither are the council.

How convenient Pollard calls a gathering just as talks about upping their rent are ongoing.
A chance to claim poverty and get the council onside.

Strangely they ask the audience to keep things off social media as it could affect these talks but put the full transcript on their Web page.

I wonder if Pollards bid for the stadium was just an excuse to have a nosey in the data room and see exactly what Latics finances are?

I hope Talal and team stand firm here and don't fall for Pollards bullshit and the councils interference.
Like all other sporting clubs they'll have to cut their cloth accordingly to accommodate any rise.

How convenient Pollard calls a gathering just as talks about upping their rent are ongoing.
A chance to claim poverty and get the council onside.

Strangely they ask the audience to keep things off social media as it could affect these talks but put the full transcript on their Web page.

I wonder if Pollards bid for the stadium was just an excuse to have a nosey in the data room and see exactly what Latics finances are?

I hope Talal and team stand firm here and don't fall for Pollards bullshit and the councils interference.
Like all other sporting clubs they'll have to cut their cloth accordingly to accommodate any rise.
I think they were forced to publish the transcript by their own fans, more than anything else.
Only a select few were allowed to attend, and given the fact there was effectively a media blackout on the event, and those select few who went, were effectively "gagged" from posting anything on social media, a lot of their less fortunate fans (who couldn't get a ticket) felt the club was acting deceitfully.
Safe to say, every aspect of this "fans" forum has been dealt with in an unprofessional, and dare I say it, amateurish manner.

As a side note, a move would probably spell the end for the rugby.

I used to live in Kitt Green; it's about 20 minutes' walk to the stadium down Challenge Way and Stadium Way. When the rugby was on, most of the 'die hard' rugby fans went to Last Orders or the Springs to watch it on Sky... hardly any bothered actually going to the ground. They didn't wear the shirt. Their actual contribution to the rugby club was pretty much nil.

Now... if their die hard following can't even be bothered to walk (so they could still get a beer) 20 minutes to support the club, how many are going to make the effort to get to Horwich, which isn't walking distance for the vast majority? Add in that if you're driving, you can't have more than one pint: their crowds would virtually vanish altogether.

As a side note, a move would probably spell the end for the rugby.

I used to live in Kitt Green; it's about 20 minutes' walk to the stadium down Challenge Way and Stadium Way. When the rugby was on, most of the 'die hard' rugby fans went to Last Orders or the Springs to watch it on Sky... hardly any bothered actually going to the ground. They didn't wear the shirt. Their actual contribution to the rugby club was pretty much nil.

Now... if their die hard following can't even be bothered to walk (so they could still get a beer) 20 minutes to support the club, how many are going to make the effort to get to Horwich, which isn't walking distance for the vast majority? Add in that if you're driving, you can't have more than one pint: their crowds would virtually vanish altogether.

Its the other way around in T'hen Hole at Springfield, on a midweek night when the Worriers are playing at the DW and on TV, loads of em in wearing rugby shirts.

They can afford to go to the pub swilling down beer, in before kick off and stay after the game, ive actually asked a few why aren't they at the game instead of watching it on telly, their replies......................."I can't make midweek games much or couldn't go toneet i'm up at 5.30 for work" :slap:

But the original contract is null & void because DW no longer owns the Stadium.
That's why they're renegotiating now.

There was talk about this at the time as to whether the old lease for the use of the stadium would lapse with the new ownership.

I am not 100% sure but I think the general concensus was that the lease would not lapse and its terms would and could still form the basis for any future relationship between the new owners and the Rugby Club.

I may be wrong on this but the statement from Radlinski seems to bear this out.

If it was a new contract then they would have little input into the negotiations, it would literally be presented as a fait accompli, pay it or leave situation whereas he is saying that he is in negotiations with Mal Brannigan which seems to suggest that they have some say.

Either way they would still have the option of a legal challenge based on the amount of increase allowed, which would have to be shown as fair to both sides and would no doubt be down to an independent valuation.

There was talk about this at the time as to whether the old lease for the use of the stadium would lapse with the new ownership.

I am not 100% sure but I think the general concensus was that the lease would not lapse and its terms would and could still form the basis for any future relationship between the new owners and the Rugby Club.

If it was a new contract then they would have little input into the negotiations, it would literally be presented as a fait accompli, pay it or leave situation whereas he is saying that he is in negotiations with Mal Brannigan which seems to suggest that they have some say.

Either way they would still have the option of a legal challenge based on the amount of increase allowed, which would have to be shown as fair to both sides and would no doubt be down to an independent valuation.
I would take everything mentioned in that transcript with a pinch of salt, tbh.
Even fans who went to the meeting have said, its been heavily redacted.
Also, if the lease negotiations were so cut & dried, Why is Radlinski cry arsing to the Council to get involved?

It doesn’t make sense...

Could it be that Talal is duty bound to honour the length of the lease,
but not the annual rent costs?

Maybe that's why the Egg Chasers are cry arsing to the Council...

If that was the case, nobody would be kicking them out, but they would have a straight choice of either 1). Play ball and Pay Talal's revised rent.
Or... 2). Look for somewhere else to play.

As I said in a previous post. The rugby have a planned rent review in 2024. So there probably is room for negotiation. I would think it still stands even though the agreement is with another party.
I wonder if Brannigan would be allowed to see the rugby's books if they took legal action?

Possibly Latics have a similar review planned but in our case it's irrelevant .

If that was the case, nobody would be kicking them out, but they would have a straight choice of either 1). Play ball and Pay Talal's revised rent.
I think that is exactly what is happening, but the ungrateful parasitic set of underhand spoilt bastards want everything on their terms like they have had for too many years.
Stand on your own two feet you you fat chubby cuckoo lodging twats!!!

As I said in a previous post. The rugby have a planned rent review in 2024. So there probably is room for negotiation. I would think it still stands even though the agreement is with another party.
I wonder if Brannigan would be allowed to see the rugby's books if they took legal action?

Possibly Latics have a similar review planned but in our case it's irrelevant .
More than likely that's been brought forward due to the takeover.

Council, council, council I'm sick and tired of hearing that word. That's the body of authority who didn't take any notice of us until 2013. Still not enough to treat us to the odd six million quid. I would have thought they could have treated us to that to upgrade our academy or training ground. Would only be fair after Robin Park.

Council, council, council I'm sick and tired of hearing that word. That's the body of authority who didn't take any notice of us until 2013. Still not enough to treat us to the odd six million quid. I would have thought they could have treated us to that to upgrade our academy or training ground. Would only be fair after Robin Park.
Me too ...but it's unavoidable considering they own the land that the Stadium sits on.
They're bound to have their say on the matter, at some point.

Why would they give money to football? Nobody outside of Wigan knows or cares about Wigan Athletic. As we know, this town always has and always will be a rugby town whether you like it or not. Wigan rugby is a global brand, Wigan ath is a Wigan brand. Just ask the football opposition fans, every one of them will tell you its a rugby town.