Pompey (H) | Page 3 | Vital Football

Pompey (H)

Not the greatest of performances but unbelievable to think we're on 10 points given the fixtures we had. I though Whatmough was incredible again. He's starting to show the qualities of a centre back that can lead a defence much higher - much like De Zeeuw. McClean is a cut above. He created an attack from the goal when otherwise the ball was dead.
Not wanting to sour it or make assumptions, but did anyone else notice Jordan Jones completely bypass the rest of the team doing sprint sessions at the start of the second half?

I thought Pearce was exposed today and was our weak although I was impressed with their no.10 Harness.
A solid defence from both sides with not many clear cut chances but Jordan Jones has something in his locker just needs to produce it. Why did he go down in the area so easily?
Lang was also puffing and panting BUT provided the match winner.
James McClean sub turned the game.
A good captain performance but the centre back Whatmough was MOTM for me.

Agree on all but Jones, Sid. I can forgive him not looking up when in the box - attacking player going for goal and all that - but he failed to look up in the centre of the park when Pearce was making a break down the line. He certainly has potential but a long way off it for me

Like everyone else I thought it was our worse display so far
We were way off the pace for 60mins and Pompey looked very good up to the box but our central defenders were colossal what a signing Whatmough is.
I agree Jimmy Mac caused them all sorts of problems and his pass up the line to Pierce was sublime and Landy who had a stinker just buried it¹

I am concerned about this continual passing back then just lumping it up Cook style instead of playing through midfield.We are not trying to utilize Charlie Wyke at all and he might as well sit next to me in the West Stand. Like I said last week we desperately need a good playmaker maybe the lad Bayliss will show what he can do there

Finally I found Leam's substitutions stange Why take a defender off with 4mins left and put the 3rd winger of the game out left. 3 great points today but it was a real struggle .
Because said defender was totally out of puff and getting targeted down that right hand side. The moment Massey came on and McClean moved to LB we regained control and saw the game out fairly comfortably. Very good call from Richardson.

Agree on all but Jones, Sid. I can forgive him not looking up when in the box - attacking player going for goal and all that - but he failed to look up in the centre of the park when Pearce was making a break down the line. He certainly has potential but a long way off it for me
Who knows it's pretty strange to adapt to being in the centre of the park when you are the player that should be running on to balls down the line but as long as we keep carving wins out with these Cookisms then we can put up with it.

Naylor was motm for me by some way, threw himself infront of a certain goal. Exceptional block, made atleast 3 outstanding recovery tackles and was in on all 50/50s winning the majority of them.

We've struggled without the ball in all of the games this season. We were much better at pressing when 433 last season. Second half was an improvement though, moving higher up the pitch was good to see.

Excellent return on points so far, still a lot of work to be done on the training ground to turn this great squad into a great team.

Naylor was motm for me by some way, threw himself infront of a certain goal. Exceptional block, made atleast 3 outstanding recovery tackles and was in on all 50/50s winning the majority of them.

We've struggled without the ball in all of the games this season. We were much better at pressing when 433 last season. Second half was an improvement though, moving higher up the pitch was good to see.

Excellent return on points so far, still a lot of work to be done on the training ground to turn this great squad into a great team.

Naylor strikes me as a proper anchorman midfielder someone who played behind two centre mids, but we do struggle to keep the ball with him and cousins can't do that alone. Naylor was class today though, but Whatmough and Darikwa were stand out for me.

Pearce has been poor this season and I don't think he is fully fit yet, he will find his form for sure!

Last edited:
Any player who busts a nut to get back and defend has my respect. He intercepted the ball dropped it off to Darikwa, he lost it and then charged back 50 yards to make a tackle on Curtis.

Since the Sunderland game he's been great. First one every time with the block attempt, gets kicked in the face puts his body on the line. Gets up and gets on with it.

Like you say possibly a better player in front of the back 4 screening it as an anchor.

I still don't understand why Leam always shouts at the middle two asking them to stand still and not look for the ball, instead waiting for it to find them. I think it's counter productive but he must feel it's structurely important and to be fair its worked upto this point.

The upcoming break will help, handful of games played along with this time to further their understanding of whats required of them.

Other teams have made lots of changes and it hasn't resulted in a decent points return, can't fault the points we've picked up against who we've played.

Still crying out for a midfield playmaker. Pearce can cross a good ball. But is a very poor defender gets caught out off position ball watching. Just need a couple more players in. And we will be fine.
Our coaching team should be concentrating on this young player being a defender and concentrate on our wingers putting crosses in. Square pegs in round holes doesn't work forever.

Still crying out for a midfield playmaker. Pearce can cross a good ball. But is a very poor defender gets caught out off position ball watching. Just need a couple more players in. And we will be fine.
Defensive midfielders seem to be doing well. Leaving the three behind the striker.
If we found a playmaker, who would be dropped or would we change from the 4-2-3-1?

A pretty dull game in all honesty. I’m guessing Power was injured but I thought we missed him. Pompey had a lot of the ball but created next to nothing and I can’t recall Amos making a save. Testament really to our centre backs who look a very good pairing even at this early stage.

Referee was another absolute joke. The standard of officiating at this level is truly woeful. How he found 5 minutes injury time was baffling. I see the Pompey manager is now moaning we’ve signed players, ironic really given they’ve signed a shitload themselves. Someone ought to tell him that’s what happens when you only have a handful to start with.

Can’t say we deserved to win, nor did we deserve to lose but we did have the only two real chances of the game. We are certainly a work in progress but defensively look very good whilst that’s ongoing which is very encouraging.

I'll take a Win, no matter how we play,
how many matches have we played teams 'off the park' and ended up losing.

A pretty dull game in all honesty. I’m guessing Power was injured but I thought we missed him. Pompey had a lot of the ball but created next to nothing and I can’t recall Amos making a save. Testament really to our centre backs who look a very good pairing even at this early stage.

Referee was another absolute joke. The standard of officiating at this level is truly woeful. How he found 5 minutes injury time was baffling. I see the Pompey manager is now moaning we’ve signed players, ironic really given they’ve signed a shitload themselves. Someone ought to tell him that’s what happens when you only have a handful to start with.

Can’t say we deserved to win, nor did we deserve to lose but we did have the only two real chances of the game. We are certainly a work in progress but defensively look very good whilst that’s ongoing which is very encouraging.

Wait didn't he literally say something a couple of days ago like "managers who talk about other teams players and owners are people who don't want to deal with the fans" sounds like a pure hypocrite.

Wait didn't he literally say something a couple of days ago like "managers who talk about other teams players and owners are people who don't want to deal with the fans" sounds like a pure hypocrite.
Cowley and Evatt are 2 peas out of the same pod.
Both bang average managers who would rather criticise their opponents than deal with problems closer to home.
Evatt was at it again today, claiming they were unlucky not to win, yet they only had 1 shot on target in 90 minutes 🤦

No idea, but I just find it ludicrous managers moaning we’ve signed players - mainly on frees - given we only had 5 or 6 on the books. Do they expect us not to bother and just field about half a dozen outfield players? I don’t recall that tool Evatt moaning last season when Bolton signed about 20 in pre season.

Cowley and Evatt are 2 peas out of the same pod.
Both bang average managers who would rather criticise their opponents than deal with problems closer to home.
Evatt was at it again today, claiming they were unlucky not to win, yet they only had 1 shot on target in 90 minutes 🤦

His audience is Bolton fans - they’re thick as pig shit so probably thinks if he deflects blame they'll lap it up.

Superb win!
Pompey were the better team for the 1st hour,but we stayed solid defensively and they barely troubled Amos.We improved after the hour mark and McClean made a positive difference when he came on.We got stronger whilst they ran out of steam and ideas.
Our 2 CBs were outstanding today.Lang may drift in and out of games at times out wide,but when he's on the pitch he can create a moment to win you the game.He took his goal well with a calm,tidy finish,after good work from McClean and Pearce on the left.I also liked the way Lang ran to the middle of the pitch when he knew he was being subbed off.

10 points from those tough opening 5 fixtures is an outstanding return and better than we could've imagined.Especially considering it's a new team/squad that's still gelling together.A long way to go and plenty to improve and build on,but a really encouraging start and lots to look forward to.Now hopefully we can complete the squad with a few decent defensive reinforcements before the window shuts.
Up the tics!

Superb win!
Pompey were the better team for the 1st hour,but we stayed solid defensively and they barely troubled Amos.We improved after the hour mark and McClean made a positive difference when he came on.We got stronger whilst they ran out of steam and ideas.
Our 2 CBs were outstanding today.Lang may drift in and out of games at times out wide,but when he's on the pitch he can create a moment to win you the game.He took his goal well with a calm,tidy finish,after good work from McClean and Pearce on the left.I also liked the way Lang ran to the middle of the pitch when he knew he was being subbed off.

10 points from those tough opening 5 fixtures is an outstanding return and better than we could've imagined.Especially considering it's a new team/squad that's still gelling together.A long way to go and plenty to improve and build on,but a really encouraging start and lots to look forward to.Now hopefully we can complete the squad with a few decent defensive reinforcements before the window shuts.
Up the tics!
Sorry mate that is not how I saw it richison knows exactly what he is doing wate then what then go .......

Sorry mate that is not how I saw it richison knows exactly what he is doing wate then what then go .......
I'm not questioning Richardson at all!He's done and is doing an incredible job!I don't really understand your reply to my post tbh mate.Leam himself said he was unhappy at HT with our midfield and attacking play.

Just noticed this, was posted this morning.

From central midfielders who’ve made at least two appearances this season in all competitions, the 30-year-old wins possession the most according to data platform Wyscout.

Naylor averages 14.62 duels per 90 minutes and wins back possession 75.32 per cent of the time.

Meanwhile, breaking these defensive stats down even further, the current Wigan player wins more tackles out of possession (76.92 per cent from 4.94 defensive duels per 90) and wins more aerial challenges (72 per cent from 4.75 aerial duels per 90).

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/...s-ryan-tunnicliffe-and-shaun-williams-3362836

Not sure how accurate these numbers are, comparisons between Naylor and Portsmouths new midfielders before todays game.