Match Thread: Shrewsbury Town v Lincoln City | Page 28 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Shrewsbury Town v Lincoln City

We do need the right players not just a Patrick Kanyuka because he claims to be a defender. That would be a worse situation

for me joe walsh should never have got a long term contract extension, clearly a top player on his day but a sick note. i’m sure the additional £ he’s been accruing since march could have been better distributed on another option at cb .. but let’s wait and see what appleton’s got up his sleeve over the next week or two

I think this is easier in hindsight as I can't remember there being much debate when he signed.

I think this is easier in hindsight as I can't remember there being much debate when he signed.
There were a few comments along the lines of 'Championship class but prone to injury' but generally confidence that we has a class defender.

Not certain Melbourne is still transfer listed tbh but I haven’t read that he isn’t.

Think we could do with another cb plus a RB who can cover CB. Not certain we need a striker, would rely on the experts opinion there given we have at least 3 wingers (Maguire, Scully, Nlundulu) who can cover striker.

we should sign another midfielder!
all joking aside. We may have to wait till the end of the transfer window to get in players we have targeted. We don't have the resources to waste on a panic signing of a centre back until we can get the ones we are hopefully targeting.
I am certain we have at least one on our list or Melbourne would not have been told he could go.
All of a sudden do we no longer trust our management team?

Not certain Melbourne is still transfer listed tbh but I haven’t read that he isn’t.

Think we could do with another cb plus a RB who can cover CB. Not certain we need a striker, would rely on the experts opinion there given we have at least 3 wingers (Maguire, Scully, Nlundulu) who can cover striker.
I don't think Melbourne was ever transfer listed in the traditional sense (like Bishop at Ipswich), it sounded more like we didn't expect him to get many chances so wouldn't stop him finding another club if he wanted to.

I don't think Melbourne was ever transfer listed in the traditional sense (like Bishop at Ipswich), it sounded more like we didn't expect him to get many chances so wouldn't stop him finding another club if he wanted to.
Indeed so - carefully chosen words by our management, as always - an interesting contrast to some posters on this forum, from time to time!

Notty drinking too much red wine last night?

MA doesn't prioritise the defence? Didn't we, for a long period of time, have one of, if not the, best defence in L1 last season? Take a couple of freak results out (Portsmouth and Sunderland home games) and we were very good defensively - roughly a clean sheet every other game?

We're ok for bodies up front but we still need another one who's closer to Hopper in terms of style and a focal point. We didn't have that last season and missed him when he wasn't available, and that was no doubt mentioned on here.

The squad will change over the next three weeks or so. If nothing has changed by then in terms of personnel at the back then fair enough, but there's tonnes of time left. I'm sure MA could go out and get a couple of CB's tomorrow but would they a) be good enough and b) suit us? Probably not. They'll be wheels in motion.

The time to judge is at the end of the window, not mid-August after two games.

We will still sign one or potentially two players who can play that position. I don't think losing your mind because we've lost a league cup game and have a couple of injuries is a reaction with a huge amount of perspective. Hell I don't think it would play well at the negotiating table as we look for one!

Especially if Jackson just plays on sat...

Walsh is effectively not in the squad. If he does manage to start again in October it will still be quite a time before he gets fit enough and no guarantee he'll get back to his previous excellence.
Melbourne is handy cover but not a first choice upper level of League One centre back.
Montsma also suffering from repeated injuries. Another one not back to his best.
Jackson can hopefully fill one spot.
So reality is two tol level centre backs needed else there'll be a lot more repeats of those last 20 mins of Shrewsbury game.

Right back also needed. Regan Poole is decent. Is there better out there that we can get to join us? If so, we need to go for it. Or just a useful player as back up.

Left back: possibility that Tayo may go. Bramall looks better on the wong. Melbourne looks better in the middle.
So a high level left back may well be needed.
(And is that Jamie Robson one such?)

Oh and another goalie needed.

So essentially defence is a long long way short at the moment.

Poachers are in short supply and very expensive, I'm sure we have enough forwards/midfielders to score plenty of goals. I also think we have enough centre halves and ersatz centre halves, probably more than most in League One, unfortunately we have been cursed by injuries in that dept. What we really need is 2 quality fullbacks. Give the keeper a bit more time please.

Do we genuinely pay Poacher a large amount to do what he does? Had no idea he was very expensive. But certainly in short supply, not seen any others...