Match Thread: Gillingham v Lincoln City | Page 29 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Gillingham v Lincoln City

The official attendance given out at the game was 4857 with 579 Imps. An aside of this was the organisation in their ticket office. Several home fans were queuing as their STS hadn’t arrived, we were in the queue to get tickets for the away end as it was a late decision to travel due to work. a long queue at 2-15 with one person in the office . About 2-30 another 2 more staff opened up but still only 3 serving staff at the 8 little kiosks. Had to spin a yarn to get away tickets as supposedly they don’t sell away tickets after 12 noon on a Friday. What the hell is all that about when there was always going to be 1,000 empty seats amongst the scaffold poles. Got tickets and sorted at 2-55 with several Gills fans still in the queue.
The Sunday papers have it down as 5486, including 599 Imps , bit of a shambles by the sound of it , would never happen at SB !

Haven’t seen any comments regarding the events following our goal and it was the opposite end to us but what the hell were our players doing going off the pitch to celebrate in front of their fans. No excuse if there were racial comments made but it was a plainly stupid thing to do.
Pretty much my thoughts. Players of all teams continue to goad fans after scoring, and wonder why they get stick. It's an endless cycle, as fans wonder why its reciprocated!
Either way, there is no reason for it to end in the gutter with racism. I'd say a little more intelligence in both parties would greatly reduce the opportunity for it happening!

It is not the players fault that some thick Gillingham fans pushed them and then racially abused them.

To me it looked like the players were celebrating at least level if not behind the bit where the advertising boarding was missing. That is rather foolish to say the least and I think why Bramall got his yellow card. However if there were any racist comments, that is obviously far and beyond anything we did and will hopefully the person(s) will be identified and banned.

Here's what happened after Edun scored... if the multiverse is a thing I can confidently state that no reality exists where running off the pitch and shouting at the Gillingham fans ends well...

Firstly I'll defend the City players, they ran to the corner, I didn't see any goading at that point till the little bloke in blue got out of his seat and started pushing and shoving. Who even does that? And yet it's not because it was at Gillingham, their supporters are no different from any other, there's a handful at Sincil Bank who would probably have done the same given the chance. Either way, someone so out of control of their emotions should serve a stadium ban regardless of any other charge they might face.

He had the opportunity to do that because there was no barrier in that corner for some reason. I'm pretty sure that even in the NCEL that wouldn't pass ground grading.

That said, the celebration ended up being excessive. What's more it's part of a wider issue where the team has gained a reputation amongst fans of most of our L1 rivals for a certain kind of shithousery. That's not something the club should wish to amplify.

Racism allegations should be left to the police, I have no idea what - if anything - was said, and neither does anyone else on here. There were, however, several City players and a number of Gillingham supporters all within earshot. The truth of it will almost certainly come out.

Seems odd our celebration being so aggressive for the 4th minute. Was something shouted before the goal?

In terms of the shoving, need better security around the ground and our players shouldn’t have incited it, which I feel they did.

In terms of the racism, make these fans responsible for their club suffering a points deduction. A bit shocked at what appears to be a blanket silence from Gillingham on the events.

There's no excuse for celebrating beyond the hoardings. It's a caution every time and leaves players/ clubs risking serious incidents and punishments. The fact there was a gap in the hoardings, and no fans, is irrelevant. Hopefully there will be some internal discussions to remind players of their responsibilities.

The actions of the small minority of 'supporters' were disgraceful, but unfortunately would happen at every ground in similar circumstances. If there was racial abuse that is even more disgraceful and inexcusable but should be dealt with by police and club.

Fans in general have absolutely no problem dishing it out to players for 90 minutes. The moment any player from the opposition goes anywhere near them they turn into complete fucking crybabies. "He incited me, he waved his arms in celebration near me. Poor, poor me having to watch an opposition player celebrate his goal near me" Just fucking grow up and grow a pair. You want to shout and scream at the opposition for 90 minutes with zero consequences then take it on the chin when they get a chance to rub your face in it...

No cant accept that. It was announced as 4857 and I counted them just to make sure. No personal interest other than my predict the attendance guess

Well two different figures are being quoted. Wonder if the delta cost difference has something to do with brown envelopes

Fans call players every name under the sun for 90 minutes then have a hissy fit when players give a bit back. If people apply the open sewer standards of social media to normal life they should expect the consequences, and there should be absolutely no equivocation.

There's no excuse for celebrating beyond the hoardings. It's a caution every time and leaves players/ clubs risking serious incidents and punishments. The fact there was a gap in the hoardings, and no fans, is irrelevant. Hopefully there will be some internal discussions to remind players of their responsibilities.

The actions of the small minority of 'supporters' were disgraceful, but unfortunately would happen at every ground in similar circumstances. If there was racial abuse that is even more disgraceful and inexcusable but should be dealt with by police and club.

I do think the gap is a little bit relevant. We’ve all been fuelled by adrenaline I’m sure and in the heat of the moment you might not entirely know where you are until you get there. It’s not like there was a wall of fans beyond to alert you either.

Celebration of scoring a goal is one thing, it's the stupid dances or planned farting about that goes on by some players afterwards that does my head in!.

Celebration of scoring a goal is one thing, it's the stupid dances or planned farting about that goes on by some players afterwards that does my head in!.

I bet some teams spend more time training for those routines then they do the match!