Match Thread: Gillingham v Lincoln City | Page 28 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Gillingham v Lincoln City

Technical difficulties so came on later.
Extra long discussion but not a mention of our game there.

I was - slightly - but, genuinely, I really don't expect a commentator to say which player has done every single touch of the ball.
So "cleared by a defender" is perfectly adequate.
"Someone scored a goal" probably not adequate!
So you don't believe a professional football commentator - someone who is paid to commentate on a football match - should bother to do his homework and earn his wages by being able to identify 22 people?

I'm sorry, but I cannot agree less.

This is the problem with modern commentators and pundits in a nutshell. They simply do not understand the meaning of the word 'professional'.

And the fact that they reduce the glorious, expansive English language to 100 words or so, and in so doing create an entirely new language for idiots called 'footballspeak'.

I feel a monthly article coming on... Jules, get your editorial hat ready.

I know. I was watching on Quest and no highlights. As I tuned it late I thought I missed it. However no highlights on Quest + 1 either. Very strange
They were having technical problems and started to show Lge 2 but then covered the last 3 Lge 1 teams starting with Lincoln - mentioned MA’s illness.

So you don't believe a professional football commentator - someone who is paid to commentate on a football match - should bother to do his homework and earn his wages by being able to identify 22 people?

This is the problem with modern commentators and pundits in a nutshell. They simply do not understand the meaning of the word 'professional'.

And the fact that they reduce the glorious, expansive English language to 100 words or so, and in so doing create an entirely new language for idiots called 'footballspeak'.

It's difficult not to agree with this. When sky or bt show a game the commentator knows every player, even when it involves two obscure teams (e.g. lincoln versus Burnley fa cup). That's tv, let alone radio where you are completely reliant on the commentator.

I was - slightly - but, genuinely, I really don't expect a commentator to say which player has done every single touch of the ball.
So "cleared by a defender" is perfectly adequate.
"Someone scored a goal" probably not adequate!

Hes paid to inform the listeners/viewers, which he’s hopeless at. He hasn’t won a day commentating in a raffle, despite how it might sound.

It's difficult not to agree with this. When sky or bt show a game the commentator knows every player, even when it involves two obscure teams (e.g. lincoln versus Burnley fa cup). That's tv, let alone radio where you are completely reliant on the commentator.

Largely I agree, but they're hardly much better covering smaller teams.

"And now here's EEARDLEY."

interesting but the match report on the Lincoln website says oliver scored i thought it was lloyd

OK, got back from Gillingham about three quarters of an hour ago, so here's a few thoughts from me after having read the match report but not so far anyone else's comments on here.

First, it was a good job I wasn't relying on having anything to eat at the ground as there was no food on offer at the away end. The match programme being free didn't really make up for this (it was totally inedible).

We were on top for the first half hour as Gillingham looked a bit ragged. This was followed by them hitting the bar and a couple of good saves from Griffiths. Unfortunately, he then fumbled the ball low down which produced their goal. I was about level with the edge of the six-yard area and it looked to me as if it could have been over the line, so I wasn't surprised when the linesman gave it. I do wonder what goal-line technology would have indicated though.

The second half could have gone either way so a draw was probably a fair result.

We seemed to rely a lot on long cross-field balls, but too many (by various players) were over-hit.

Of the new players, I was impressed by Sorensen, but it was a mixed performance by Griffiths - his handling was erratic to say the least. Didn't really see enough of Adelakun or Bishop to judge.

I thought Melbourne did very well and grew into the game.

Man of the match for me was Edun.

Being in the diagonally opposite corner to the incident after Edun scored I hadn't a clue what was happening.

Here's what happened after Edun scored... if the multiverse is a thing I can confidently state that no reality exists where running off the pitch and shouting at the Gillingham fans ends well...

Oh yeah and as I said at the time... the "foul" that lead to their goal was nothing of the sort.

… or tin hat 🤔. Don’t you know it’s not nice to say things about people these days - especially ‘professionals’. Hiding behind your keyboard - shame on you. BTW - thanks Scotimp - I have absolutely nothing against Michael and don’t doubt his enthusiasm or passion, but glad it’s not just me that thinks he could do a little better.

Just a couple of thoughts about the ‘incident’. Not sure it was wise of the Imps players to celebrate by going into that corner of the ground, especially if they went through the gap into the spectator area. What immediately stood out for me though was why was there a gap like that in the hoardings (do we have any at Lincoln?) and where were the stewards? The YouTube highlights show a fair bit of the incident, although obviously you can’t hear what was said by those involved. Have to say I wasn’t impressed with the state of Gillingham’s ground. I went there 30 years ago and it looks exactly the same as it did then.

Last edited:
Looking at the video of what I can tell it seems the fans moved a fair way from there seats. Not sure what actually happened to cause this but hopefully the authorities take appropriate action. Also not sure if we should have celebrated in front of them won't be the last players to do this I guess. Still doesn't and shouldn't lead to problems like this. Hopefully this is sorted out quickly the game or life in general doesn't need it.

< SNIP> Have to say I wasn’t impressed with the state of Gillingham’s ground. I went there 30 years ago and it looks exactly the same as it did then.
All 4 sides have been rebuilt/developed since the late 1990's so you might like to consider a trip to Specsavers or a remedial maths class. But you are correct, there should be no large walkthrough gaps from the pitch. Covid should no longer be an excuse to exclude stewards and the away-end scaffolded monstrosity should be condemned

The 'gate' today of 5450 approx is about what you would normally expect pre virus and in the holiday season, and looking quickly at a few others the majority look to be about par, apart from my local ITFC who somehow managed to mug 21,000 ! Interesting to see the 'gate' next Saturday at SB. Would seem the vast majority just want to see live footi again and meet up with their mates.
UTI.
The official attendance given out at the game was 4857 with 579 Imps. An aside of this was the organisation in their ticket office. Several home fans were queuing as their STS hadn’t arrived, we were in the queue to get tickets for the away end as it was a late decision to travel due to work. a long queue at 2-15 with one person in the office . About 2-30 another 2 more staff opened up but still only 3 serving staff at the 8 little kiosks. Had to spin a yarn to get away tickets as supposedly they don’t sell away tickets after 12 noon on a Friday. What the hell is all that about when there was always going to be 1,000 empty seats amongst the scaffold poles. Got tickets and sorted at 2-55 with several Gills fans still in the queue.

Haven’t seen any comments regarding the events following our goal and it was the opposite end to us but what the hell were our players doing going off the pitch to celebrate in front of their fans. No excuse if there were racial comments made but it was a plainly stupid thing to do.