2021 Summer Holidays ..... | Page 2 | Vital Football

2021 Summer Holidays .....

We are supposedly going to Vegas next year to reaffirm marriage vows for our 25th anniversary.....

I am not holding much hope for that one .... original plan was to be in Vegas for 5 days then drive to LA and stay with our friends there .....

I'm at Brands Hatch, and I've seen a handful of people with masks, and no social distancing, even though they ask you to, not even the VIP tent I'm in. Thousands here, so sort of tells me what will happen at the football.
Is anyone on here at Brans Hatch with a Gills tattoo on their leg? I got a photo of it!

Last edited:
I'm at Brans Hatch, and I've seen a handful of people with masks, and no social distancing, even though they ask you to, not even the VIP tent I'm in. Thousands here, so sort of tells me what will happen at the football.
Is anyone on here at Brans Hatch with a Gills tattoo on their leg? I got a photo of it!
What's the world coming to LSB2 when you are allowed into a VIP tent? Anyway you should be in training in case of first team duty.

I love North Yorkshire but cannot understand the fascination with Cornwall. Been to Cornwall 4 times and was based there in the navy but it never "got me".

Whereas North Yorkshire is some where i would be able to live in easily.

I spent most childhood summer holidays in Newquay as my father did his National Service at St Mawgan. These days we try to avoid places where other people go. North Yorkshire's good, also Northumberland.

I love North Yorkshire but cannot understand the fascination with Cornwall. Been to Cornwall 4 times and was based there in the navy but it never "got me".

I've been to Cornwall loads of times as a mate moved there about 20 years ago, so have gone down to see him a number of times. I've always thought it was over-rated and the weather has largely been pants when I've been there and nearly always rains - yes, the winters aren't as bitter as in the East, but the summer days are nearly always 5-10 degrees colder than in the south east with more rainy and windy days. Some nice places to see, but becoming more and more crowded.

I am biased as lived here for a number of years, but don't think you can beat east and south east Kent and the bordering East Sussex. I say that from a biased point of view, but we have a Shepherds Hut/holiday let too and the feedback we always get beyond the Hut itself is that the area is a hidden gem - set in a rural location with loads of walks where you see no one other than sheep, cows and tractors and country pubs, short trips to a load of cracking beaches and coastal and tourist towns - Hythe, Canterbury, Rye, Tenterden etc and lots of activities for kids activities on the doorstep - Port Lympne, RHDR, Dover Castle etc. Plus, although this year has been an exeption, the weather is usually pretty good in the summer months and certainly better than the West and North.

I'm off to York in a couple of weeks and haven't been before, so am looking to that as my main summer getaway and seeing the City and Noth Yorks. I hear good things, but not sure I could live there as generally can't stand big-headed loud-mouthed Yorkshiremen, who don't seem to be able to got two sentences without mentioning Yorkshire, but that may well be accentuated and worsen when they travel south, so I'm hoping not to hear so much of their fullofitness when I visit them on their own doorstep!

The drive that way just always puts me off. I went to uni in Wales, and have a lot of friends as a result who live in Devon and Cornwall, and it just takes forever to get there.

Frankly, if you want nice beaches and countryside, you can get it elsewhere for less money and far easier to get too and less crowded.

My personal favourite is the Gower Peninsular just West of Swansea, and the beaches on the South West and West coasts of Wales.

We also went to North Norfolk for the first time this year, and that was lovely too.

Many many years ago, my wife (Minnesotan) was Matron at the Girls Block at Royal Russell School. It was leaving day and all the girls were talking about the wonderful and exotic places they were off to for the summer holidays. Except one, Anne had her head down and was quiet. Where are you going, my wife asked. Just London, she mumbled. Just London? Oh Anne, my wife said, where I come from people would think you the most exciting girl in the world to be able to say “just London”. That cheered her up.

Totally agree re Kent. York is great, nearly as good as Canterbury, but meeting Yorkshire folk in York? You’ll be, I say, you’ll be lucky.

Great Britain has many absolutely beautiful places and the weather seems to be warming up as well.
I’m down in Dartmouth at the moment and it’s lovely (and a bit busy)

Just back from a three day road trip to Bath, Cheddar/Wookey, Poole, New Forest and Portsmouth. Great trip. So many nice places in the UK

I've been to Cornwall loads of times as a mate moved there about 20 years ago, so have gone down to see him a number of times. I've always thought it was over-rated and the weather has largely been pants when I've been there and nearly always rains - yes, the winters aren't as bitter as in the East, but the summer days are nearly always 5-10 degrees colder than in the south east with more rainy and windy days. Some nice places to see, but becoming more and more crowded.

I am biased as lived here for a number of years, but don't think you can beat east and south east Kent and the bordering East Sussex. I say that from a biased point of view, but we have a Shepherds Hut/holiday let too and the feedback we always get beyond the Hut itself is that the area is a hidden gem - set in a rural location with loads of walks where you see no one other than sheep, cows and tractors and country pubs, short trips to a load of cracking beaches and coastal and tourist towns - Hythe, Canterbury, Rye, Tenterden etc and lots of activities for kids activities on the doorstep - Port Lympne, RHDR, Dover Castle etc. Plus, although this year has been an exeption, the weather is usually pretty good in the summer months and certainly better than the West and North.

I'm off to York in a couple of weeks and haven't been before, so am looking to that as my main summer getaway and seeing the City and Noth Yorks. I hear good things, but not sure I could live there as generally can't stand big-headed loud-mouthed Yorkshiremen, who don't seem to be able to got two sentences without mentioning Yorkshire, but that may well be accentuated and worsen when they travel south, so I'm hoping not to hear so much of their fullofitness when I visit them on their own doorstep!

Just how stunning is the countryside around Canterbury. I'm sure most tourists do the typical cathedral visit and shops, but walk 10 minutes in any direction from the center and you truly are in the garden of England.

My friend lives on the estate near the council offices - very central but not the most salubrious part of this distinctly middle class city. Just a quick leap over his back garden fence and some lovely countryside beckons. Straightaway there's a nice pond in the middle of a wooded area. Head a bit further out from here (and higher) and you're treated to an amazing view over the city, especially good with a nice sunset. If we go left having climbed, or more precisely clambered over the fence, we get to the nature reserve and the Stodmarsh lakes. Another direction and it's rolling orchards...

will be caernafon for me so, zip world hear i come. finishing the break with a weekend on the barbican, with a ticket for the match. close to where i used to stand in the black and white era