Coronavirus | Page 719 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

Restrictions could come back in the autumn, former health secretary warns
8016b458-9b55-4fc1-956a-a74580075f20.jpg

Today Programme
BBC Radio 4
The government may have to reimpose lockdown restrictions if Covid cases continue to rise over the summer and into the autumn, former health secretary Jeremy Hunt has warned.
Hunt, who is now chairman of the Commons Health and Social Care Committee, says the situation is "very serious".
"The warning light on the NHS dashboard is not flashing amber, it is flashing red," he tells Radio 4's Today programme.
"Covid hospital patients are doubling every two weeks. That means we are heading for 10,000 Covid hospital patients by the end of August, which is about 20 times higher than this time last year. It is a very serious situation.
"I think coming into September we are almost certainly going to see infections reach a new daily peak going above the 68,000 daily level, which was the previous daily record in January.
"If they are still going up as the schools are coming back I think we are going to have to reconsider some very difficult decisions. How we behave over the next few weeks will have a material difference."

What? I mean actually, what the fuck? Is that actually true? If so then I had no idea.

A vaccine is to stop you catching something surely? I understand that they are only 70-90% effective but I thought their main purpose was to stop you catching it.... With the added bonus if you were unlucky and did actually still get it the symptoms would be less.

If what you're saying is true then I've been completely mis-sold.

as Holte139 says

Re vaccine effectiveness. The last time the UK reported 51k cases was 7th Jan. The number in hospital that day? 32,583.

The number in hospital today is 3,964.

Deaths follow a similar pattern. 994 on 7th Jan. 49 today.

Says all you need to know really.

EDIT: Coincidentally 3,964 is 12% of 32,583. There's your just under 90% effectiveness the trials hinted at
!

No vaccine is 100% but it is meant to stop people getting seriously ill with it, the majority, not the unlucky, and obviously those who haven't had it, have taken a massive risk.

At the very least, with the vaccine, you should have some anti-bodies and it should be far less of an illness or reduce the risk of hospitalisation greatly.

The thing is the vaccine was sold to us as have it to protect other people. I.e. If I have it I don't get it and don't pass it on therefore stopping the spread.

If all it actually does is weaken my symptoms I wouldn't have bothered as the symptoms for a healthy 40 year old in general are pretty mild anyway.

You can't guarantee that, there is more and more talk of long covid (I know my fit nephew, at 19 or 20, had a virus - not this thing - and it knocked him out for a year, made him really ill for instance), lung scarring (like you get with other things like pneumonia) and so on.

This is to lessen those risks and for many, it will do exactly that, stop you getting it and spreading it.

It is far higher % wise than the flu jabs that can be as low as 40/50%

But shouldn't it stop people getting it / spreading it too? In which case I'd expect the case numbers to remain low also.

I thought 90% of people who were double dosed shouldn't catch it.

Not 90% of people who are double dosed will get it but with weaker symptoms.

That's shite. And doesn't protect anyone.

But shouldn't it stop people getting it / spreading it too? In which case I'd expect the case numbers to remain low also.

Stops most getting it, those who get it, should get lesser symptoms, no vaccine is 100% perfect though.

I guess time will tell on all this, difficult whilst we are all still living through it?

But holte139's figures make a valid point.

Yeah, bit about the beta variant

From 19 July, adults who have been double jabbed in the UK arriving from amber list countries will not need to isolate for 10 days.
But the government said the easing would not apply to France due to "persistent" cases of the Beta variant, first identified in South Africa.
There are concerns vaccines may not work as well against the Beta variant.
Some 3.4% of cases recorded in France in the past four weeks were the Beta variant, according to GISAID, a global open source database.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57869880

Bit more about the effectiveness mate... they are trying to get more over 50s double jabbed quicker, then I guess to move down age wise

Second jabs for all over-50s (and the clinically vulnerable) in England are now being brought forward to protect more people, faster. Second doses will come eight weeks after the first, rather than 11-12 weeks.
Latest research suggests the Pfizer and AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccines are highly effective against the variant after two doses, but protection from one dose appears to be reduced.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55659820

The advice to avoid infection remains the same for all strains: wash your hands, keep your distance, wear a face covering and be vigilant about ventilation.

And then we have this Government saying fuck it!

Will vaccines still work against variants?
Current vaccines were designed for earlier versions of coronavirus, but scientists believe they should work, albeit potentially less well.
Lab research suggests antibodies that can fight the infection - triggered by vaccination or past infection - may be somewhat less effective against Delta.
Two doses of either the Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccine still protect people from getting very ill, however.
Real life data suggest the Pfizer vaccine can protect against the new variants, although slightly less effectively.
Data from the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine team suggests it protects just as well against the Alpha variant. It offers less protection against the Beta variant - but should still protect against severe illness.
One recent study suggests the Gamma variant may resist antibodies in people who've recovered from Covid before.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55659820

It has been announced in out local paper, our local hospitals, medical centres and GPS have all announced that Facemasks will remain mandatory in their buildings.

I expect this will be the same nationwide. Certain people will moan and kick off. Tough!

It has been announced in out local paper, our local hospitals, medical centres and GPS have all announced that Facemasks will remain mandatory in their buildings.

I expect this will be the same nationwide. Certain people will moan and kick off. Tough!
I had a text from my Drs yesterday saying that mask wearing will still be mandatory.

What happens now is those who want to, will be arguing with those who don't and neither will be right/wrong. And those of us who would like to social distance just a little, can't really tell others to back off because it is now discretionary.

Farce.

Quite a few are making masks mandatory as others have pointed out.

I get opening up more now, but would it have been that difficult to maintain masks and distancing?

And now Javid has gone down with it lol

Being reported everywhere. I just read it in the Inde and was about to post. I read a couple of weeks ago the Tory MPs were turning off their Track & Trace ready for the recess. No doubt they will be glad now so they wont need to isolate even though some will have had close contact.
And in other news an athlete in the Olympic village has tested positive. I saw that on the TV, they said he has been removed along with 2 people that had close contact with him. The head of the Olympics has assured everybody that things will be fine....:shake:

As in many other hospitals, the number of patients being treated for Covid-19 in Bradford Royal Infirmary is sharply rising. About half of them had chosen not to be vaccinated, says Dr John Wright - which many now deeply regret.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-57866661

Good read that.

There should be a treatment charge for anyone who has refused a vaccination (apart from those with proper, medical reasons, and to be fair, that isn't then refusing is it) but this country is too wishy washy to do this.

Being reported everywhere. I just read it in the Inde and was about to post. I read a couple of weeks ago the Tory MPs were turning off their Track & Trace ready for the recess. No doubt they will be glad now so they wont need to isolate even though some will have had close contact.
And in other news an athlete in the Olympic village has tested positive. I saw that on the TV, they said he has been removed along with 2 people that had close contact with him. The head of the Olympics has assured everybody that things will be fine....:shake:
Being reported in the papers, not an athlete but one of the organisers is foreign but they wont reveal the identity to protect them.