The Tyrone Mings Thread | Page 93 | Vital Football

The Tyrone Mings Thread

He goes on to say - secondary sadly - that many clapped and thanks them.

We have a proud history of diversity at Villa don't we? Not encountered racism at Villa Park. Not saying it doesn't exist, just not heard any over the years.

That'll be divisive but not for the reason he thinks sadly or maybe thankfully.

Never saw anything myself in my years of attending, but am aware of stories from others as I'm sure we all are.

If players are going to continue taking the knee, as daft as it sounds, they need to disassociate it from BLM because too many see them as Marxist anti-capitalists. Make the message purely Kick It Out and I genuinely don't believe there would be a hint of a boo - and if there is then, throw the fuckers out.

This all comes down to Sky/BBC lapping it up and promoting without doing their homework and qualifying and in the process booting Kick It Out out of the equasion.

Last edited:
Such a difficult one with regards to taking the knee. Being brutally honest, I don’t understand what it symbolises as it’s never been overly clear to me. We’ve long debated on here whether it’s related to a political movement where many of us - me included - don’t agree with that ideology.

Equally though it’s moronic to boo in public. If you don’t agree for whatever reason then keep that to yourself.

What do you mean MF?

I do find it disappointing on a great day, this was brought up, or that those who clapped it were secondary in his tweets.

Added to my post after the initial comment, I hope that's clearer.

I get why he brought it up with fans back, but I'd say it's not fans (yes there will be some) who need to educate - players need to realise themselves fans won't back a group with those aims even if BLM is something (as a phrase) nobody should be against.

This all comes down to Sky/BBC lapping it up and promoting without doing their homework and qualifying and in the process booting Kick It Out out of the equasion.

Indeed, they needed to educate themselves. Total own goal, totally divisive and has split what should / could have been a unified action.

I don't believe we have to copy everything Americans do, but that is another debate I guess.

Indeed, they needed to educate themselves. Total own goal, totally divisive and has split what should / could have been a unified action.

I don't believe we have to copy everything Americans do, but that is another debate I guess.

Yup, a very annoying nuance really. People know what I'm like and I'm called a liberal lefty for good reason at points, but BLM the group which is now intrinsically linked with 'the knee' is worlds apart from BLM the belief.

Admittedly I'd stay quiet if put in that situation, but I thoroughly get Mings' point here because he's looking from one angle (a very understandable one)...but he needs to see the other angle where fans would absolutely applaud Kick It Out but won't in anyway be associated with the BLM group.

But again it goes back to the media, I wouldn't expect a footballer to research on a cause they feel hits the mark when it's personal, I absolutely expect a journalist to research the nuance before they promote a group that basically wants to end society as we know it, especially when it has nothing to do with race or racism or equality.

Such a difficult one with regards to taking the knee. Being brutally honest, I don’t understand what it symbolises as it’s never been overly clear to me. We’ve long debated on here whether it’s related to a political movement where many of us - me included - don’t agree with that ideology.

Equally though it’s moronic to boo in public. If you don’t agree for whatever reason then keep that to yourself.

In the context of the UK I am unsure it makes much sense. I think the knee symbolizes both Colin Kaepernicks initial "stand" or should I say knee. When he refused to stand for the US National Anthem which was due to his early activism about the treatment of black lives by law enforcement. And then I think the other part of the knee on George Floyd.

I personally think it is a marketing ploy by the EPL and its broadcasters as the American market for the EPL increasingly becomes more important. It means something to a bunch of the players and I would guess for the majority it is compliance.

That'll be divisive but not for the reason he thinks sadly or maybe thankfully.

Never saw anything myself in my years of attending, but am aware of stories from others as I'm sure we all are.

If players are going to continue taking the knee, as daft as it sounds, they need to disassociate it from BLM because too many see them as Marxist anti-capitalists. Make the message purely Kick It Out and I genuinely don't believe there would be a hint of a boo - and if there is then, throw the fuckers out.

Mings is just a gobshite who likes a bit of this type of attention. If he wants to take the knee then fine, if some fans want to boo it then that's fine too. Many do not appreciate football being turned into political protest. He should educate himself to be honest. Given the fact that today's Villa side was mostly non white and were cheered to the rafters there doesn't seem to be any inequality towards Black players on or off the pitch. I came into this thread to praise his performances since the man city game but he has ruined it by being a prat on Twitter again.

Last edited:
Thank the fans that drowned out the minority boo fans, who together can make a difference, would of been a better tweet.
He’s never been very good at coming across in a positive way on his Twitter account.

I can’t see why any racist would pay to watch Aston Villa with 8 players being black/mixed race, it’s got to be against the BLM movement, like others say it would be better to keep it shut if they don’t agree, or better yet support it through kick it out not BLM.

Anyway, he played well today, after a bit of a woeful spell he’s really coming along with less mistakes, last two games he’s been solid, more consistency next season is a must.

I'd hazard a guess most players take the knee as they are afraid not to and the repercussions, which in itself is wrong.

I'm not sure they are fearful but there have been stories of 'teams' being instructed to for the PR perspective and unsourced quotes from players saying they do it for their teammate even though they disagree with what it has come to stand for/or get it's a token and nothing more.

Mings is just a gobshite who likes a bit of this type of attention. If he wants to take the knee then fine, if some fans want to boo it then that's fine too. Many do not appreciate football being turned into political protest. He should educate himself to be honest. Given the fact that today's Villa side was mostly non white and were cheered to the rafters there doesn't seem to be any inequality towards Black players on or off the pitch. I came into this thread to praise his performances since the man city game but he has ruined it by being a prat on Twitter again.

You lost me at gobshite and attention, which is annoying because I agree with the thrust after that until you again went prat on twitter.

And V4E - he comes across perfectly fine, if you don't think he does he are ignoring the angle he comes from, just as I said he ignores the angle folks like me come from in not respecting taking the knee.

I get the political line in football but I also remember the annual poppy on an England shirt breakdown most fans have because foreigners say it's political. The game always has been, it just depends on what side of the fence you sit.

Last edited:
I'm not sure they are fearful but there have been stories of 'teams' being instructed to for the PR perspective and unsourced quotes from players saying they do it for their teammate even though they disagree with what it has come to stand for/or get it's a token and nothing more.
Potential to really upset / divide dressing rooms then which in itself is one big contradiction. There is a good reason why sport and politics should be kept apart.

And V4E - he comes across perfectly fine, if you don't think he does he are ignoring the angle he comes from, just as I said he ignores the angle folks like me come from in not respecting taking the knee.

As you know I’ve got two black Jamaican half sisters and Nephew that’s now taller than me with a bigger Afro than Bob Marley, so I’m used to seeing it from both angles, in my opinion he can come across better, we all see things differently.