Match Thread: Sunderland v Lincoln City | Page 46 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Sunderland v Lincoln City

And it has repercussions. Getting a reputation for diving will alert refs who then may - consciously or unconsciously - have bias such that a genuine penalty may not be given in the future.
Did he get the yellow for diving or dissent ?

Be interesting to see our reaction next season If we play forest next year and he goes over in the box!

I think it’s a clever tactic he goes over nothing given but then someone else does and it’s seen as cast iron he is the pathfinder

We are in an era where 'going to ground over soft touches', 'looking for it', 'sticking a leg out', 'putting the brakes on' and 'falling down holding your head' have all been allowed to become 'part of the modern game'. All of those used to be cheating when I started playing, now they are largely unpunished and invariably lead to a free-kick or a penalty.

On our side Hopper and Morton are always looking for a defender to get too close from behind to throw themselves forward. Rogers and McGrandles have both put a foot out sideways under the defender in order to go over when running side-by-side with the ball. And Johnson has had numerous dubious contacts when running past players. That isn't to say every time one of those players goes down they are cheating (they aren't Wyke).

Johnson is so quick and agile he often does get touched and it isn't always clear to the naked eye in real time. Rogers is fouled half a dozen times every game because the opposition don't know which way he is turning and get embarrassed when he has done them and Hopper regularly gets walloped in the back.

Our team is no different from any other in the League (at least not unless we get promoted on Sunday). I don't like to see cheating and I am not going to complain or defend him if one of ours gets caught doing it.

Let's face facts. The moral fibre of those playing the game isn't going to change things. Only changes in the rules are going to do that.

They also mentioned during the last game, we have played the joint most games in English Football. Now we are in the final I think we may end up playing 1 more than the next closest team. Which is, considering the squad size quite outstanding.
Did they also follow that with 26 players used this season, lowest in L1? Remarkable achievement with those stats.

I wake up with a slight head ache today, I hope the boys didn't go as heavy as I did!

What an emotional rollercoaster yesterday was. Sunderland came at us from the off, as we expected. Unfortunately it was rabbits in the headlights stuff from us, we seem completely overawed by the occasion and venue. Sunderland deservedly went in 2-0 up at the break and we were lucky that it wasn't more. The Wyke miss was huge.

At half time, I thought we had blown it. Sunderland being rallied on by 10,000 locals were playing very well and looked stronger than we did. The one small crumb was that we couldn't play worse second half. Appleton knew he had to do something and the decision to bring McGrandles and Walsh turned the game on its head. The former in particular was magnificent.

Two minutes into the second half and we looked a completely different team to the one that played 1st half. That slick football was starting to return. Part of why we were so much better second half was switching Johnson on to the wing. He is so much dangerous down the flank and they couldn't cope with him. After Poole came agonisingly close, Hopper headed in a well deserved goal for us. It was Sunderland's turn for rabbit in the headlights. Stadium of light not so daunting when it's silent.

We carried on and were awarded a stone wall penalty after superb work from Mcgrandles. I didn't feel good about the penalty, I never do - it's part of being a lincoln fan. It was a decent save, but Grant will be disappointed. I feared that would be the turning point in the match. Stadium of light lifted again. Yet despite that lincoln continued to play the better football and carve out better chances. McGrandles could have put the tie to bed, but alas we had to endure a nerve wracking ending. Heart in mouth when McGready's effort cannoned off the post. From there we were resolute in defence. TJ and Walsh immense. I admit the last 15 were a bit of blur, a difficult watch. As I said to my old man at full time, why do we out ourselves through this!?

The final whistle. Unrivalled joy. Appleton, not famed for his early substitutions, turned the tie around by doing just that. Wembley here we come. No matter what happens next weekend we can be proud of what our team has achieved. The immense character of those young lads to turn the game around in the second half was extraordinary. Blackpool will be hot favorites for next weekend. But, we have a shot, a one game shot at reaching the championship. I would have called you barking mad if you predicted that at the start of the season. So lads, give it your all next week. Leave it all on the pitch.

Come on you Imps!

Also, does anyone know of there any extended highlights kicking round?

It was an action packed game and the 2 minutes highlights from Sky do the game no justice.