Our Fishy Friends | Page 47 | Vital Football

Our Fishy Friends

Another gem from the archives comes from the BBC report on our 2-0 defeat to the Mariners in December 2015. OK the score isn't great, although Waterfall getting sent off for us and Arnold scoring are both somewhat ironic given later events. For me, the thing that stands out is this gem of a quote from Paul Hurst,

"The message at half-time was to start passing the ball to each other."

It is this level of insightful analysis that puts Paul Hurst head and shoulders above your average ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35148482

To be completely fair though, I don't recall us passing to our own players very often in December 2015

Bearing in mind other club finances, the illogical decisions that ruling bodies make and unforseens such as Covid the pedant in me says the Cods can still dream until EFL and NL membership is ratified in the summer. I am also reminded of the Monty Python sketch.
'I hear Nixon' s had an arsehole transplant'. "Ah.. . but have you seen the Stop-Press? The arsehole's rejected him".

The national daily/Sunday rags will possibly turn up in Grimesby soon to write tales of woe about how the club was run and the effect on the town etc. Then bugger off back to London to file stories that 'football' fans really want........the Premiershit!

View attachment 48072
No 10 sources confirm "Boris in bits". Home Secretary to take charge during period of mourning.

seeing that twonk wearing that hat is worse PR for the cods then relegation from the football league. I think they should reform as AFC Cods and point out that that isnt their hat!

Apparently he only wore it as someone told him it was free!

Last edited:
Comments about whether we have ever been two or three divisions above Grimsby reminded me of the painful times when we were in the lower reaches of the NL and Scuuny were beating Newcastle in the Championship. Ugh.

Comments about whether we have ever been two or three divisions above Grimsby reminded me of the painful times when we were in the lower reaches of the NL and Scuuny were beating Newcastle in the Championship. Ugh.

indeed it takes a long time to climb the league but only a few bad turns to drop. I dont think its cricket to mock. who knows what the future will hold!

Scunny are lucky there are only two games left.

Hurst will get Grimsby in and around it next season (difficult now you can basically be mid-table and in the PO's!).

I think they've paid for their lack of plan at the beginning of the season. One(?) pre season friendly, trying to insert all sort of clauses into contracts, squad taking big wage cuts, Holloway and his darts etc etc. It's just been one monumental fuck up of a season.

Hurst steadied the ship to be fair and he's a decent manager at NL level, and one with NL experience so in that respect they're better prepared than others who've gone down before them.

Lots of money flying around in the NL next season.

Hurst steadied the ship to be fair and he's a decent manager at NL level, and one with NL experience so in that respect they're better prepared than others who've gone down before them.
That's assuming Hurst stays, but it is hard to see where he can go after three successive failures in management. Grimsby is perhaps his last chance to rebuild his reputation,.

Having said that, his record at Grimsby is actually very poor despite the late struggle to stay up, and is also worse than Holloway's record:

Holloway P19 W5 D4 L10 Pts19 PPG1.00

Hurst P23 W4 D8 L11 Pts20 PPG0.86

Hurst cannot claim he had to use Holloway's squad - he had the January window and signed 11 players of his own.

I have just noticed that their top scorer has got three goals; that says everything.

That's assuming Hurst stays, but it is hard to see where he can go after three successive failures in management. Grimsby is perhaps his last chance to rebuild his reputation,.

Having said that, his record at Grimsby is actually very poor despite the late struggle to stay up, and is also worse than Holloway's record:

Holloway P19 W5 D4 L10 Pts19 PPG1.00

Hurst P23 W4 D8 L11 Pts20 PPG0.86

Hurst cannot claim he had to use Holloway's squad - he had the January window and signed 11 players of his own.

I have just noticed that their top scorer has got three goals; that says everything.
Blimey! Agent Waterfall has scored that many own goals!